Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Moving from Ontario to BC

Old 02-07-2016, 10:53 AM
Kinger38
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving from Ontario to BC

Hey Folks,
Has anyone ever moved there Vette from Ontario to BC?
Work has me relocating and Im not leaving my 78' Vette behind.
The car has been restored and is great condition. Only modifications would be removal of original exhaust, with Hooker headers and Side pipes installed as no emission testing is required on this.

I have this fear in the back of my head BC is going to go over EVERY little detail on this car and possibly deny me for some overseen thing.

Does anyone know what I should expect ahead of time? OR for that matter what I should do ahead of time?
I hear insurance out west will probably be a lot to eh?

Thanks!

Last edited by Kinger38; 02-07-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:38 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

It has probably changed but when I lived out there anything on four wheels was allowed on the road, no safety, no emissions. But if things have changed they still won't be as bad as Ontario.

I think and will stand corrected the Gov. handles insurance but that could have be changed to, I moved back here a long time ago. Any way you are going to like it out there, a more laid back approach to work, not this go go go shlt we have here in Ontario. In the in lower mainland and interior it is not as humid as Ontario and you will find a 80deg day feels like 70deg. Not much to complain about living there.

I am sure someone who is living there now can update the safety and emissions requirements. And also if you can get collector car insurance like Hagerty which has taken over Ontario.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:05 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Shouldn't be a big issue getting an OOP inspection at an enthusiast friendly shop,members here will point you to the right guy,if you are moving to the Island,I can recommend a local shop.Your insurance rates probably won't change all that much,however ICBC does not offer any multi-vehicle discounts as other areas may.Check out the ICBC website,if your Vette can meet the Collector category rules you will get very reasonable insurance,I pay about $26 a month for my 74,maybe worthwhile to change a few items if you are close to qualifying.

Last edited by tfi racing; 02-07-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:07 PM
Kinger38
Cruising

Originally Posted by MotorHead
It has probably changed but when I lived out there anything on four wheels was allowed on the road, no safety, no emissions. But if things have changed they still won't be as bad as Ontario.

I think and will stand corrected the Gov. handles insurance but that could have be changed to, I moved back here a long time ago. Any way you are going to like it out there, a more laid back approach to work, not this go go go shlt we have here in Ontario. In the in lower mainland and interior it is not as humid as Ontario and you will find a 80deg day feels like 70deg. Not much to complain about living there.

I am sure someone who is living there now can update the safety and emissions requirements. And also if you can get collector car insurance like Hagerty which has taken over Ontario.
I appreciate the reply! Thank you for your insight!
Tomorrow I will call ICBC and try to get more information. I was hoping I could use Hagerty as currently I only pay $400/year. If going through ICBC, I pray its not too over priced in comparison

*CHEERS*
Old 02-07-2016, 07:12 PM
Kinger38
Cruising

Originally Posted by tfi racing
Shouldn't be a big issue getting an OOP inspection at an enthusiast friendly shop,members here will point you to the right guy,if you are moving to the Island,I can recommend a local shop.Your insurance rates probably won't change all that much,however ICBC does not offer any multi-vehicle discounts as other areas may.Check out the ICBC website,if your Vette can meet the Collector category rules you will get very reasonable insurance,I pay about $26 a month for my 74,maybe worthwhile to change a few items if you are close to qualifying.
THANKS!
Right now the plan is for somewhere in West Burnaby or North Surry.
If I can use Hagerty to insure the car in BC then my rates actually drop a little. From $485/year to $300/year which is close to what you mention your paying. If I have to use ICBC Im not sure. I will call tomorrow and find out.
Also you make a good point about reaching out to some local enthusiast. The car has been rated a "B" on a scale of A-F from R&M Restoration here in Ontario. Its gone through a lot of work but not everything is original under the hood which is why I fear how strict BC inspections are going to be.

*CHEERS* !!!
Old 02-07-2016, 09:35 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't call tomorrow(I would never call them,90% of the people are useless script parroting cubicle fillers,only a handful can give you any info that is not on the website),they will not be there on the holiday.You can keep the agreed value and comp on your Haggerty policy in BC,but have no choice on the liability portion,ICBC is both your registration and insurance,one stop government ineptitude for all that is frustrating and annoying...
Old 02-09-2016, 06:45 AM
gaspeddleZ07
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We moved to Vancouver in 2010 and didn't have any problems with the e-testing on the Firehawk I had at the time.

I believe you're required to have your PL&PD from ICBC, but collision/comprehensive is optional so I'm assuming you can get it from anywhere.

You will pay more (BC means bring cash!) however it (as your plates) are sold through various retailers. I think we got ours through a travel agency in a mall. Just search for a reseller and call one... the prices are all the same. One odd thing was that they wouldn't give me insurance until they personally verified the VIN and the registered owner has to be present.

Jim

Last edited by gaspeddleZ07; 02-09-2016 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:18 PM
Kinger38
Cruising

I landed In Delta BC.

However I now may need to find a local garage around Langley that does good work for a fair price.
The very first day I got to BC I unloaded the vette off the trailer and was driving it. About 8km into the drive I noticed the car was sluggish. I then smelt hot brakes to which when I slowed to a stop light both front wheels started to lock right up!
I managed to roll it into a parking lot the second I knew something was wrong and as soon as I came down to 10kph, the car skidded to a halt. The brake peddle almost locked to the floor it had so much pressure buildup.
Front rims were smoking hot so I knew it was brake issue, rear reams were fine. *crosses fingers rotors are not warped*
I called BCAA to pick me up but in the mean time I lucked out and had a jack in the car from the move. So I removed both front wheels and cracked the bleeder valve and the pistons went back just fine. So thankfully it wasn't a seized caliper.
I could roll again.

In summary, the calipers, pads and rotors were all replaced last year and the car had no issues prior. I'm now thinking my flex hose's are possibly damaged/swelled up and not allowing pressure to flow back tot the master cylinder. Possibly damaged from 6 days tied down to a UHAUL trailer??? OR...I wonder if its a master cylinder issue?

So I can change the hoses out myself but in case that's not the issue does anyone know of a good local mechanic. If I'm quoted a decent price I may just want to install a new booster, master cylinder, metal lines and everything in between up to the calipers.

What's everyone's thoughts or opinions?
Its a 1978 Corvette with a stock braking system minus the pads, rotors and calipers replaced last year.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:20 PM
nascar03
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kinger38....
Welcome to the West Coast just in time for the great weather.
It sounds to me like a master cylinder issue.
I sent you a PM with my contact information.

I hope to meet up soon and helped you get settled.

Graham.

Get notified of new replies

To Moving from Ontario to BC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Moving from Ontario to BC