Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Recommend Source for LED bulbs in GTA

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 06:31 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Default Recommend Source for LED bulbs in GTA

Spring cleanup this year includes repainting the dash and cluster panels in my '65. While everything is out, going to do a bulb swap too. Been running the current set of dash bulbs for about 15 years now and they're getting dim, likely my eyes are too.

I remember last summer some of the local crew were changing their bulbs over to LED. Faraz?

Someone mentioned there were some good sources in around the GTA.
I have a trip to Indy end of this month, but would rather check local sources first.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:19 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulUptime
Spring cleanup this year includes repainting the dash and cluster panels in my '65. While everything is out, going to do a bulb swap too. Been running the current set of dash bulbs for about 15 years now and they're getting dim, likely my eyes are too.

I remember last summer some of the local crew were changing their bulbs over to LED. Faraz?

I have a trip to Indy end of this month, but would rather check local sources first.
Lighting Depot. 4465 sheppard ave e, just west of McCowan
Old 03-11-2016, 03:12 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by walleyejack
Lighting Depot. 4465 sheppard ave e, just west of McCowan
For some reason (?) still no Thanks! button on the Cdn forum.
So.... THANKS!
Old 03-11-2016, 03:24 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

For some reason (?) still no Thanks! button on the Cdn forum.
So.... THANKS!
his name is David. he will meet you there on a Saturday, if you let him know before hand
Old 03-11-2016, 05:28 PM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

Yep that's the place. He was very helpful and let me test out a few on my car at home. Also for one or two that were duds it was no problem at all to swap them out.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:44 PM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 75 Posts

http://www.lightdepot.ca/index.php
Old 03-11-2016, 11:14 PM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Try A-1 Electronics. They're at 196 North Queen (across from Wal-Mart/ Best Buy). I've seen led bulbs there. They're open 7 days a week.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:49 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Brian71
Try A-1 Electronics. They're at 196 North Queen (across from Wal-Mart/ Best Buy). I've seen led bulbs there. They're open 7 days a week.
Yes, I know the place, but I didn't consider them for the bulbs.
They're also very close to me, so will go check them out.
Thanks Brian!
Old 03-12-2016, 10:40 AM
formula1nut
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

If the other recommendations don't work out try eBay. I have bought lots of them there and prices including shipping are VERY low. If possible get COB ones.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:57 PM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

I tried some that Princess Auto had. Don't get them there. They weren't that bright.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:58 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by formula1nut
If the other recommendations don't work out try eBay. I have bought lots of them there and prices including shipping are VERY low. If possible get COB ones.
Others on the C1/C2 forum have had good success with bulbs from superbrightleds.com. It seems eBay sourced bulbs have been hit or miss. For its relative analog simplicity, a C2 cluster is pretty crowded and the original spec (but newer) wiring harness doesn't allow much movement. In other words it's going to be a 3hr job to re/re so I'm really leaning on experiences with a specific bulb before starting, specially with so many different designs among LEDs.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-13-2016, 04:03 PM
formula1nut
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by formula1nut
I should have said CREE NOT COB. They are first rate.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:12 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Others on the C1/C2 forum have had good success with bulbs from superbrightleds.com. It seems eBay sourced bulbs have been hit or miss. For its relative analog simplicity, a C2 cluster is pretty crowded and the original spec (but newer) wiring harness doesn't allow much movement. In other words it's going to be a 3hr job to re/re so I'm really leaning on experiences with a specific bulb before starting, specially with so many different designs among LEDs.

Thanks guys!
Paul - don't know about the C1 and 2 forums, but there are a couple of step-by-step how-to threads in the C3 section by guys who have made this conversion...
Old 03-13-2016, 08:42 PM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys!
Paul,
Given what you are doing and the work involved I would suggest going with a known quality led source. I would suggest you also look at radioflyerinnovations. He gets thumbs up from the forum guys from what I have seen. If you haven't done so already get in touch with radioflyer to get his suggestions as well as he is very knowledgeable and i am sure would give you some good recommendations to consider given your goal and desire for no rework.

I am sure you don't want to be in a situation where you spent the 3 hrs to re and re your cluster to have a bulb go on you a week later and have to re and re again.Tail lights and side markers are a quick re and re so I was not so picky on quality. And as I mentioned above I did have to swap a couple so don't want you to have to go through rework for your overhaul.

Cree bulbs seem to be one of the best out there, but I ain't no expert.

Last edited by raztek; 03-13-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:14 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
Paul - don't know about the C1 and 2 forums, but there are a couple of step-by-step how-to threads in the C3 section by guys who have made this conversion...
Thanks Jack. Good thoughts and idea. Will do

Originally Posted by raztek
Paul,
Given what you are doing and the work involved I would suggest going with a known quality led source. I would suggest you also look at radioflyerinnovations. He gets thumbs up from the forum guys from what I have seen. If you haven't done so already get in touch with radioflyer to get his suggestions as well as he is very knowledgeable and i am sure would give you some good recommendations to consider given your goal and desire for no rework.

Cree bulbs seem to be one of the best out there, but I ain't no expert.
Thanks Faraz. Cree bulbs are known to be very efficient and bright. Probably brighter than needed for dash bulbs, but so long as they dim I'll be OK. I'll lookup radioflyer. THANKS for the tip!
Old 03-20-2016, 01:53 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Paul, you last comment about dimming deserves a comment. The dimmers in these older cars rely on the current draw of the bulbs to work, and due to the LED's having a much lower current draw draw you'll probably find the factory dimmer no longer works unless the LED bulbs use a load resistor which simulates the current draw of the incandescent bulbs. And then those load resistors get hot and still put the same load on the wiring as the incandescent bulbs which negates one of the reasons for using LED bulbs.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:34 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Paul, you last comment about dimming deserves a comment. The dimmers in these older cars rely on the current draw of the bulbs to work, and due to the LED's having a much lower current draw draw you'll probably find the factory dimmer no longer works unless the LED bulbs use a load resistor which simulates the current draw of the incandescent bulbs. And then those load resistors get hot and still put the same load on the wiring as the incandescent bulbs which negates one of the reasons for using LED bulbs.
Thanks LH. Appreciate your input.

I was thinking that too, but quite a number of people in the C2 forums have replaced their incandescent dash bulbs with LED and have found some types do dim just fine with the stock rheostat/head light switch.

Get notified of new replies

To Recommend Source for LED bulbs in GTA

Old 03-20-2016, 11:44 AM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Thanks LH. Appreciate your input.

I was thinking that too, but quite a number of people in the C2 forums have replaced their incandescent dash bulbs with LED and have found some types do dim just fine with the stock rheostat/head light switch.
One thing I am doing for my reverse led's is putting a small trailer light into series with them to act as a load resistor...doing this because my led's always are glowing even when no current draw. Will let you know if it works as that may be something that could also happen with you. Just gonna tuck the trailer light in behind my plate so it's not visible (well that's the hope lol).
Old 03-23-2016, 09:13 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Stopped by Lighting Depot yesterday. David knows his stuff! Bought some LED bulbs to replace my stick tail lights. I have been wanting a brighter tail light solution as I know they are too dim with my blackouts and these LEDs I got from him are BRIGHT! I love the true red color of Faraz's tail lights so I got red ones.

I have been debating with myself to get the Eagle Eyes type of Rear LEDs, I like the look, but am afraid of a single LED burning out, then you're basically screwed and that would bug the hell outta me. Also the Canadian dollar STINKS, and can't justify spending about $400 on something only Mustangs will see. (Couldn't resist, actually I like Mustangs!)

He tests them all out for you. Didn't get the resistors, I'll see if I can live with the possible hyperflashing or not once I install them.

Last edited by corrado; 03-23-2016 at 09:13 AM. Reason: grammAr
Old 03-23-2016, 10:30 PM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

I received a flyer from Performance Improvements today. They carry Lumens bulbs. These things aren't cheap. One 3175/1157 bulb is $45.

Quick Reply: Recommend Source for LED bulbs in GTA