Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a good starting place:

https://dashcamtalk.com/
Old 03-27-2016, 07:46 PM
formula1nut
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Experiences?

The OP and the site above started me to consider buying one. Lots of questions though:
- do all cameras require memory cards?
- I know it is card dependant but how many days of storage can you expect?
- do all require a power cord? Seems that some have very long life batteries that you can charge when needed.
- some are said to turn on and off with the car. How?
- what is a reasonable price to pay here in Canada?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2016, 08:35 PM
Sam Kalmuk
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 76 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Dash Cam....

A lot depends on "how long you want to video".....
I used my Lumix Camera, with an adaptor (from Henry's) to secure onto the Window. Use a larger Camera Card and a Freshly re-charged Battery on the Camera, and you can record for quite some time...
By using your Camera, you may not need a Dash Cam....
I used it on the "Tail of the Dragon" a few month's ago. Worked Great.
Sam
Old 03-30-2016, 10:05 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Security Systems.Com Dash Cams???

Has anyone tried either the 720p or 1080p dash cams from Security Systems in Quincy, MA???

They have an extensive website, tons of video's sent in from customers, hundreds of testimonials from folks who have used them at least 10 days, etc..... I called and spoke with the owner, Bill today and he promptly answered all my questions. They offer a "Lifetime" warranty. I spent about 2 hours or more on their website today.

Seems like a REALLY good choice of either the 720, or 1080. My concern is that they don't seem to show up on any generic "Reviews", or on Dash Cam Talk forum, etc. They are the sole distribution site for the US.

The units do about everything I would want, but are a bit pricey. The 720p is $189 and the 1080p is $259. Those prices don't include a 32 Gigabit Micro SD Class 10 memory card.

Anyone familiar with these?

thanks,

Last edited by Strake; 03-30-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:44 AM
getfunky
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up the Mini 0805 from that list in the above link 2 yrs ago. Still works fine. Good quality, discreet as I have it behind the rear view mirror. The wire running to the cig-outlet is hidden in the headliner. I have it go around the headliner, down the a-pillar, under the matt and into the outlet. No special tools required...just used my hands to tuck it in. No one notices till I point it out.

One memory card that records on loop and overwrites old data. You can record in 1/3/5 min length before it makes a new file. No gaps in recording. I picked a 32gb card - plenty of space. It automatically starts and records when you plug in and stops when you unplug. Only caution is don't forget to unplug when you leave your car as it will still run and record even if the car is switched off. I did that once but my car battery didn't die so i guess the power drain is low.

EDIT: I checked my model and its the older one 0801. Its now discontinued as we have the 0805 which is the better newer one.

Last edited by getfunky; 04-01-2016 at 02:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by getfunky:
formula1nut (04-01-2016), Strake (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 12:19 PM
formula1nut
Pro

Originally Posted by getfunky
I picked up the Mini 0805 from that list in the above link 2 yrs ago. Still works fine. Good quality, discreet as I have it behind the rear view mirror. The wire running to the cig-outlet is hidden in the headliner. I have it go around the headliner, down the a-pillar, under the matt and into the outlet. No special tools required...just used my hands to tuck it in. No one notices till I point it out.

One memory card that records on loop and overwrites old data. You can record in 1/3/5 min length before it makes a new file. No gaps in recording. I picked a 32gb card - plenty of space. It automatically starts and records when you plug in and stops when you unplug. Only caution is don't forget to unplug when you leave your car as it will still run and record even if the car is switched off. I did that once but my car battery didn't die so i guess the power drain is low.
Great info. I was about to order an 0805 today! I do have a question/ clarification. Am I right in understanding that best case you store 5 minute of recording? What about with the 32gb card?
Thanks a lot!
Old 04-01-2016, 01:24 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by formula1nut
Great info. I was about to order an 0805 today! I do have a question/ clarification. Am I right in understanding that best case you store 5 minute of recording? What about with the 32gb card?
Thanks a lot!
I think what he meant, is that you can select the length of file sizes 1 minute, 3 minute or 5 minutes ... that way if an incident occurs, you can quickly isolate the file to show to the police.

Depending on the video quality, and 5 minute file sizes, on a 32gb card, you could record a great deal of files, before it starts writing over the card again.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:07 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The other unit I've narrowed it down to is the Street Guardian SG9665GC V2..... about $200 including a 32Gig micro SD card and GPS.... which isn't that important to me. This seems to get very good write ups.

After seeing the above posting about the Mini 805 I spent some time looking at it, and it's reviews. Looks really decent too, ESPECIALLY for the price. My only concern with this is that as I will be moving the unit between the Vette and our other car, is that the gold contacts (connector) are built into the mounting bracket. After repeated connecting and dis connecting I would be concerned about how sturdy it is, and if it will hold up for awhile.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:45 PM
getfunky
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CDN_Wolf_eh
I think what he meant, is that you can select the length of file sizes 1 minute, 3 minute or 5 minutes ... that way if an incident occurs, you can quickly isolate the file to show to the police.

Depending on the video quality, and 5 minute file sizes, on a 32gb card, you could record a great deal of files, before it starts writing over the card again.
This is exactly what I meant.

And as for Strake's comment - I have disconnected the camera from the mount on a few occasions to take a look at footage or save some cool footage and its still tight as ever. I can't speak to how it hold up after many many more removals but from my limited experience, it feels like it may hold up well.

At the time I purchased this, it was the best bang for money. There might be newer better ones now (don't know as I haven't researched since I bought this) but I'm very happy with this purchase. Plan to buy another for the wife's car.

Bonus feature - once you detach, you can use it as a camera to take pics of an accident scene or something in the event your cell phone is dead

EDIT: I checked my model and its the older one 0801. Its now discontinued as we have the 0805 which is the better newer one.

Last edited by getfunky; 04-01-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:06 PM
formula1nut
Pro

Thanks all! Got it.
Strake; I too was thinking of moving from car to car but when you think about it you can get two of the Mini 0805 cameras for what you were going to be paying originally, give or take. The 0805 is $100 shipping included on Amazon.ca
The following users liked this post:
Strake (04-01-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 05:28 PM
LarryMow
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

I recently bought the Falcon Zero F170 and I love it....they were on sale for $140 when I got mine but they currently are still only $150. It's made with a nice metal housing, color lcd backscreen, comes with all of the cables, wire clips, software cd, suction cup mount, memory card....everything that you need to run it. Now if you choose to hardwire it directly to the fuse box instead of getting power from the cigarette lighter, then the hardwire kit is an extra $30....but it'st still a good deal. Their customer service is OUTSTANDING and very professional. When the box arrived to the house, I opened it up and found the the suction cup mount was busted, I called them early the next day and explained why I was calling....within a week, they had sent me not one but 2 replacement mounts....for free!!!! They currently have 3 different models available, check them out, I think that anyone buying from them would be very very happy, I have been. The website is www.falconzero.com

Last edited by LarryMow; 05-18-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:21 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PbPedis
This is a good starting place:

https://dashcamtalk.com/
Spent a fair bit of time on this site .TONS of tests & comparisons. Panorama was highly rated, but I haven't purchased yet. They informed me (last year) that shipping to Niagara would be only $3 more than to CBI. That may have changed by now, but not by much. Great customer service, & camera reviews. Definitely worth a look.

Get notified of new replies

To dash Camera

Quick Reply: dash Camera