Canadian Events Canada, eh?

alberta ticket issued based on a driver calling in

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 10:23 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

its rediculous. and its what gives police the various nicknames they've earned.

i have many friends on the police and rcmp and id like to think they wouldnt pull this type of stuff.

i decided to let this kid handle it and ive moved on.

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
I also can't confirm or deny this information, I just have a general knowledge that they can check driving records...my insurance company has never asked me to pull my abstract and supply to them

I can't believe that a citizen's word is good enough to get a ticket, this is crazy, there are a lot of haters out there!
Old 05-02-2016, 10:40 PM
50EIGHT
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C1 of Year Finalist

All the more reason to install a car cam. Guilty until you prove yourself innocent.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:33 PM
79 Bullet
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Efx
Request court date. Request cop's disclosure. Go from there. I'm pretty sure the witness would have to be present on court date for this to even have a reasonable conviction.
You can't cross examine the cop since he didn't record/witness the event.

Good luck.
100% agree with this. I wouldn't pay a penny out of principle until I knew what they had on me. Chances are they don't give you any disclosure because it is ridiculous and all charges will be withdrawn. Courts don't like cops wasting their time with bogus charges. It doesn't look good on cops and I have seen them get chewed up by judges. It is way more rewarding than paying anyone to get you off something you haven't done.
I have laughed at cops in their face in court after beating tickets it is as they say "priceless". Just my $.02
Old 05-04-2016, 09:11 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by PbPedis
Read this. It's really sobering (pardon the pun), but not at all surprising.

http://millarslaw.com/2016/04/19/why-you-need-a-lawyer/
great read, and i am sure this happens all too often, i wonder if the "cop" was disciplined or just told to be more careful next time.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:22 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I was talking with an OPP Sgt yesterday over lunch. Asked him about the op's situation in Alta. Obviously I don't know anymore than what was written here but the officer said that in Alta and some other jurisdictions what happened to the op is legal. In Ontario under the Highway Traffic Act an officer has to witness an enfraction. I asked about video submitted by citizens and I used an example of what happened to my wife and I while out for a cruise in our vette. A pickup truck kept rushing our rear bumper, pull back and rush up again. We had nowhere to go as there was someone ahead of us and we were travelling at the 80kph speed limit. The truck passed us, the guy was showing us he could count to 1 on his rt hand then ran the person ahead of us off the road by cutting him off. He had plenty of room as no oncoming traffic at that point. The driver ahead of us pulled over and stopped, we continued. The pickup driver slowed until we were close behind, sped up then would hit the brakes. The officer said that if we had that on video, called right away to report and sent it in to the OPP the driver would have been charged with stunt driving, lose the truck for 1 week. If you call and report in Ontario, an officer will visit the owner of the vehicle, no ticket but just tell them. Video on the other hand can land someone in trouble. The officer was telling me some of the things that are considered stunt driving, many I was unaware of.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:27 AM
79 Bullet
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyejack
great read, and i am sure this happens all too often, i wonder if the "cop" was disciplined or just told to be more careful next time.
good read. I do have a lot of respect for police officers they have a very dangerous job but not the abuse of the badge
Old 05-04-2016, 11:23 AM
BobbyC5
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Worth a court date. I'd imagine you'll get off.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:12 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

If you believe you did no wrong then do not pay. The reason BS tickets keep getting issued is because many of them get paid or settled.

I highly doubt he has any evidence of this wreckless driving or bad lane changes. I once heard the "I could throw a whole stack of paperwork at you" BS and then drove away without any charges. It was just scare tactics, probably trying to get me to admit to something by getting me to ask "did you pull me over for doing XXXX?".

It's not a bad idea to get in front of their dash camera and then quiz them on this evidence. I suppose you could also pull out your phone and say you want to record it. A dash camera you could turn towards the window would be nice too. The BS usually stops when they know they are getting recorded.

As for your insurance. In Ontario they can look up EVERYTHING. The list the insurance company showed me even listed EVERYTHING any of my family members had done or claimed. I'd expect the same in Alberta.

Originally Posted by PbPedis
Read this. It's really sobering (pardon the pun), but not at all surprising.

http://millarslaw.com/2016/04/19/why-you-need-a-lawyer/
I got pulled over and demanded a roadside breathalizer for crossing the center line. The JACKASS ignored the fact that I crossed the center line by 1' or so to avoid crashing into a car parked on the side of the street. He followed me about 8 blocks, stopping at lights, a stop sign and around 2 corners before deciding that excuse was the best he could come up with. I guess next time drive straight and ram the parked car out of the way????
Old 05-05-2016, 03:22 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

yeah a dash cam is something i think ill install. front and rear. now that i saw videos of these fire escapes from ft mac i see how useful they are.

as far as my ticket, the kid told me that for paying full orice he could get the ticket erased totally as if it didnt happen. no record.

i told him if he can do that to do it. its 333$ that im happy to pay only if he can get it erased.

my life just got real busy as our little company is drilling wells this summer. funny though. id have fought this tooth and nail 4 months ago. now i just want it gone. priorities i guess.

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
If you believe you did no wrong then do not pay. The reason BS tickets keep getting issued is because many of them get paid or settled.

I highly doubt he has any evidence of this wreckless driving or bad lane changes. I once heard the "I could throw a whole stack of paperwork at you" BS and then drove away without any charges. It was just scare tactics, probably trying to get me to admit to something by getting me to ask "did you pull me over for doing XXXX?".

It's not a bad idea to get in front of their dash camera and then quiz them on this evidence. I suppose you could also pull out your phone and say you want to record it. A dash camera you could turn towards the window would be nice too. The BS usually stops when they know they are getting recorded.

As for your insurance. In Ontario they can look up EVERYTHING. The list the insurance company showed me even listed EVERYTHING any of my family members had done or claimed. I'd expect the same in Alberta.

I got pulled over and demanded a roadside breathalizer for crossing the center line. The JACKASS ignored the fact that I crossed the center line by 1' or so to avoid crashing into a car parked on the side of the street. He followed me about 8 blocks, stopping at lights, a stop sign and around 2 corners before deciding that excuse was the best he could come up with. I guess next time drive straight and ram the parked car out of the way????
Old 05-05-2016, 08:34 PM
spicytuna
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sorry I had to place the bogus call but you didn't wave back!

Old 05-06-2016, 07:32 AM
1FAST07SS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke to my friend who's a cop, he said go to court. They have to provide evidence of you doing something wrong, if not it will be thrown out.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:51 PM
TGstring
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

spicytuna wins post of the year.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:55 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TGstring
spicytuna wins post of the year.

actually im pretty sure it was the trifeca of mad cows who sat behind me for lunch today. they were hardcore notley fans and were very vocal about how ft mac is getting what was coming to them. very low class and low brow discussion.

i felt like educating them but knew that mad cows cannot be trained. instead i just vented here. i swear we are in an ayn rand movie here.

anyway.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:32 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

The stupidity on HWY 2 never ceases to amaze me, (I'm talking things I've seen, not your situation). I avoid driving on it like the plague.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:26 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Tell them to prove it, go to trial and face the person that called you in, at the very least you can call them an a$$hole face to face, that right there would be worth the $230.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:28 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by gdh
I was talking with an OPP Sgt yesterday over lunch. Asked him about the op's situation in Alta. Obviously I don't know anymore than what was written here but the officer said that in Alta and some other jurisdictions what happened to the op is legal. In Ontario under the Highway Traffic Act an officer has to witness an enfraction. I asked about video submitted by citizens and I used an example of what happened to my wife and I while out for a cruise in our vette. A pickup truck kept rushing our rear bumper, pull back and rush up again. We had nowhere to go as there was someone ahead of us and we were travelling at the 80kph speed limit. The truck passed us, the guy was showing us he could count to 1 on his rt hand then ran the person ahead of us off the road by cutting him off. He had plenty of room as no oncoming traffic at that point. The driver ahead of us pulled over and stopped, we continued. The pickup driver slowed until we were close behind, sped up then would hit the brakes. The officer said that if we had that on video, called right away to report and sent it in to the OPP the driver would have been charged with stunt driving, lose the truck for 1 week. If you call and report in Ontario, an officer will visit the owner of the vehicle, no ticket but just tell them. Video on the other hand can land someone in trouble. The officer was telling me some of the things that are considered stunt driving, many I was unaware of.

Interesting. When Police investigate a motor vehicle collision they use witness information to lay a charge. In this case the officer did not witness the events that took place but still have the ability to issue a ticket or arrest the driver.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:06 PM
Stainsy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A number of years back, I was driving in Waterloo. I came up the lights on Erb St., and the it was green. I signaled right, and as I began to make the turn it turned yellow, and before I completed it, it became red. A cop that was in the left turning lane on the intersecting street, put on his cherries, pulled a Uey, and pulled me over. He came to the car, and said I ran that red. I asked him if I could have a warning. He said nope, it was blatant. I didn't bother saying anything else. I had a witness with me.

FF to the court case, and I put my witness on the stand, and she testified what I said up above. Then, they put me on the stand and proceeded to try and convince me my witness said I ran the red. I said, I have no idea what you heard, but that isn't what I heard. So then they put the cop up, and I have no idea how he thought he was going to win, to this day, he was trying to convince the judge he knew how I ran it because of the red light he was looking at. Then he said that I even asked for a warning. When prompted, I just said, I didn't want to waste a day in court proving him wrong.

I was only 23 at the time, and running a red would have killed me for driving. I shared this, because the less you say, the better off you are, like another poster said. If you have a witness, it is a very good thing to help your case. It certainly worked for me, I was cleared of the charge.

Dave

Last edited by Stainsy; 05-10-2016 at 06:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To alberta ticket issued based on a driver calling in

Old 06-15-2016, 11:10 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Stainsy
A number of years back, I was driving in Waterloo. I came up the lights on Erb St., and the it was green. I signaled right, and as I began to make the turn it turned yellow, and before I completed it, it became red. A cop that was in the left turning lane on the intersecting street, put on his cherries, pulled a Uey, and pulled me over. He came to the car, and said I ran that red. I asked him if I could have a warning. He said nope, it was blatant. I didn't bother saying anything else. I had a witness with me.

FF to the court case, and I put my witness on the stand, and she testified what I said up above. Then, they put me on the stand and proceeded to try and convince me my witness said I ran the red. I said, I have no idea what you heard, but that isn't what I heard. So then they put the cop up, and I have no idea how he thought he was going to win, to this day, he was trying to convince the judge he knew how I ran it because of the red light he was looking at. Then he said that I even asked for a warning. When prompted, I just said, I didn't want to waste a day in court proving him wrong.

I was only 23 at the time, and running a red would have killed me for driving. I shared this, because the less you say, the better off you are, like another poster said. If you have a witness, it is a very good thing to help your case. It certainly worked for me, I was cleared of the charge.

Dave

so the young man i paid to defend me got the ticket changed so that would have no demerits and have no record.

i paid the young man $100, and i paid my $299 fine, now chargeless and demeritless.

i will be making a new desicated post to share this guy because he did exactly what he said he would.

i was definately speeding, and if a person had me on a dashcam blow by him while his dash cam showed he was doing 125 himself....well....thats good evidence against me. so, i chose not to fight it but to get the demerits and the record prt dealt with.

i am very happy with the result.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:16 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Can you imagine the trouble you would have been in if you had shifted to third.

Glad that it worked out.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:55 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 03 Z06
Can you imagine the trouble you would have been in if you had shifted to third.

Glad that it worked out.

Quick Reply: alberta ticket issued based on a driver calling in