Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Niagara Falls - Sightseeing Canadian Side

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 11:50 AM
MusicBiz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Niagara Falls - Sightseeing Canadian Side

Will be spending a night at the Radisson Fallsview on our way up to the IMSA race at CTMP in a couple of weeks. If we have a half day to spend at The Falls, what's the one or two things we need to do/see for the best falls experience?
I was there as a kid, did the boat trip and can still remember it 40 (or more?) years later. Want the same for my teen son who will be with me.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2016, 01:25 PM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

Maid of the Mist
http://www.maidofthemist.com/

Walk in behind the Falls
http://www.niagaraparks.com/niagara-falls-attractions/journey-behind-the-falls.html

Rapids boat tour
http://www.whirlpooljet.com/

Niagara-on-the-Lake
http://www.visitniagaracanada.com/places/niagara-on-the-lake

Hike Niagara Gorge
http://www.niagaraparks.com/niagara-falls-attractions/niagara-glen.html

See the whirlpool on the way to the gorge/boat tour/niagara-on-the-lake
http://www.niagaraparks.com/niagara-falls-attractions/whirlpool-aero-car.html

That is a FULL day...pick and choose. I am sure the Niagara contingent will chime in on their thoughts.

Hope you find the above a good starting point to plan your trip and do check back letting us know how you and your son enjoyed the day!!

And if you are there on July 9th there may be a train of vettes driving by the Falls somewhere around 1 to 2 pm. See the post by Stan (Zeeman) for a Niagara cruise.

Last edited by raztek; 06-23-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:04 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 659 Likes on 443 Posts

Maid of the Mist is now called "Horn Blower"

It's a kool boat ride....
Old 06-23-2016, 09:09 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

if you're not afraid of heights like me then I would also suggest the helicopter ride

https://www.niagarahelicopters.com/
Old 06-24-2016, 07:56 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts

Are you driving through with the Vette? As much as the attractions are there for ya, a good ride along the Niagara River from Fort Erie to NOTL is incomparable. There are also a few great enthusiast roads I can point out if you want, along with plenty of bridges and tunnels in, around and under the river and canals.

I also try to avoid the tourist stuff in my recommendations by suggesting things such as a walk down to the Gorge if you have the energy. The walk down the Gorge is completely free and is by far Niagara's most hidden treasure as the scenery is untouchable and there are never many tourists down there...hardly any in fact.

There is a tourist tax on stuff here you should be aware of as you are NOT required to pay it; you need to watch for it and point it out however when you see it on bills.

Restaurants.... born and raised here and I there are some great restaurants here. My favorite restaurant is the Sandstone Grillhouse on Victoria and their food is amazing.

There are alsoplenty of great wineries to visit in NOTL and tons of other things... but I cannot think of anything specific that might catch your teen son, except a walk down Clifton Hill for the sights. Park at the top of the Hill on the west side; you will see a road to follow. When you go to park there, just tell them you are going to the Pizza place or any restaurant you see right there and they won't charge you for parking...which can get pretty expensive around there.

Feel free to pm with any questions as I live here...drive to the Falls in the Z or my motorcycle with the wife a few days a week...

Last edited by AllFlash; 06-24-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:38 AM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Les (Allflash) gave some great pointers. I will definitely try to use the parking suggestion on future trips. If I had a visiting nephew this is what I would do...
- Drive the Fort Erie to NOTL route above as it is fantastic.
- Walk down from Clifton Hill.
This will bring you pretty close to the maid of the Mist entrance. Long line-up but I would recommend it to feel the full power of the Falls.
- Once done you can walk to the Falls to see them from the top.
- Then continue the drive to NOTL and stop to see the whirlpool (IMHO the tram ride does not add much to the experience).
- Gorge is a great hike and once you are down by the water you will see the Rapids boat and can decide if that's something you want to do.
- From there continue to NOTL and grab a bite to eat.

Quite a lot of Wineries along the route and I am sure Les would offer great recommendations there as well.

You can then hop on the highway and head on to CMTP.

Les, what restaurant do you suggest in NOTL as I will be down there some time this summer with the family?

Last edited by raztek; 06-24-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:07 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by MusicBiz
Half day @ at the Falls > what to do?
https://www.whirlpooljet.com/ a ride to remember

City of Niagara Falls = pretty much a ghetto

Last edited by C8Jake; 06-24-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:26 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by raztek
Les (Allflash) gave some great pointers. I will definitely try to use the parking suggestion on future trips. If I had a visiting nephew this is what I would do...
- Drive the Fort Erie to NOTL route above as it is fantastic.
- Walk down from Clifton Hill.
This will bring you pretty close to the maid of the Mist entrance. Long line-up but I would recommend it to feel the full power of the Falls.
- Once done you can walk to the Falls to see them from the top.
- Then continue the drive to NOTL and stop to see the whirlpool (IMHO the tram ride does not add much to the experience).
- Gorge is a great hike and once you are down by the water you will see the Rapids boat and can decide if that's something you want to do.
- From there continue to NOTL and grab a bite to eat.

Quite a lot of Wineries along the route and I am sure Les would offer great recommendations there as well.

You can then hop on the highway and head on to CMTP.

Les, what restaurant do you suggest in NOTL as I will be down there some time this summer with the family?
If I am with friends or family, I always park on the main drag and hop into one of the local smaller less expensive restaurants there...and then an ice cream of course. I am a HUGE fan of the Stagecoach... very family oriented, great food and price and right there on the main drag. If you want something a tad fancier...Trius Winery restaurant. The wife made me go there JUST for french fries.

I am a Falls restaurant buff moreso though. Best burger...Syndicate, Best Fish and Chips...Piccadilly, Best everything and especially steak... Sandstone. Best and biggest wings you will ever have....Mick and Angelo's. Most importantly, the best pizza in all of Niagara is in Fonthill, my home town. Mossimos. People travel from Smithville, Grimsby and Niagara Falls (20 min ride) just to pick up their Pizza.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:08 AM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Great suggestions above, but if he's like most other teen boys, and depending on which "teen" he is in, he's probably more interested in looking at the girls and ditching dad and finding the teen hangout spot at the Falls.

Not sure where that would be though, but I think Clifton Hills will be the closest thing to that.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:41 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

Take them to Antica Pizza - one of the best, clean, authentic, family owned pizza/Italian food places.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:29 AM
MusicBiz
Advanced

Thanks for all the recommendations! Much appreciated.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:04 PM
MusicBiz
Advanced

If we did the drive from Fort Erie to NOTL along the river as suggested, how much driving time does it take? Sounds like fun - just trying to manage time. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2016, 03:12 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

If we did the drive from Fort Erie to NOTL along the river as suggested, how much driving time does it take? Sounds like fun - just trying to manage time. Thanks!
Depending on time of day and traffic, when we do the cruise, it's usually about an hour give or take a few minutes from Fort Erie to the Falls.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:32 AM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Niagara folks can probably chime in on this. I would suggest doing the drive first thing in the morning to get you into the Falls area early in the day. Was there recently to cross the border on a Saturday around 9:30 am at the Rainbow Bridge (between the Falls and the whirlpool) and there definitely was not the huge crowds you would see by midday. If you do that it should give you plenty of time the rest of the day to do other things suggested above.

Last edited by raztek; 06-30-2016 at 03:34 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:21 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Agreed.... You are looking at an hour and a half driving up the river from Fort Erie. It is an incredibe run that brings you along the river, into Chippewa and then into the Falls before continuing the trip past the Gorge, into old Queenston and then on to NOTL. If you like pictures...get ready for this journey. Once you come into NOTL from Queenston, you will get the urge to stop at any of several wineries. When you get close, and if you are looking for a tour guide (just another guy in a Vette), just hollar. I can show you this route as many never see it; I travel it once a week or so and, at least so far, many have been none less than thoroughly impressed.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:32 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by AllFlash
Incredibe run that brings you into Chippewa.

Last edited by C8Jake; 06-30-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:22 PM
formula1nut
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Will be spending a night at the Radisson Fallsview on our way up to the IMSA race at CTMP in a couple of weeks. If we have a half day to spend at The Falls, what's the one or two things we need to do/see for the best falls experience?
I was there as a kid, did the boat trip and can still remember it 40 (or more?) years later. Want the same for my teen son who will be with me.

Thanks
We are all dying of curiosity................what did you do?
Old 07-15-2016, 10:43 AM
MusicBiz
Advanced

Originally Posted by formula1nut
We are all dying of curiosity................what did you do?
Parked at the Radisson and the valets gave us a spot in front where the vette didn't move the whole time we were there (nice). Took the Wego buses everywhere bought the pass for all the touristy stuff and did most of it. Did the drive to NOTL - thanks for the suggestion - never saw so many wineries in a row.

Spent a day+ in Toronto - caught a Blue Jays game. Very impressive city - will go back with my wife at some point. On to the race at CTMP on Sunday.

Thanks for all the ideas, we both enjoyed the trip and look forward to seeing more of Canada.

-Paul
Old 07-15-2016, 11:16 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Paul, great that you enjoyed yourselves. Come back soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Niagara Falls - Sightseeing Canadian Side

Quick Reply: Niagara Falls - Sightseeing Canadian Side