Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Audio Question Regarding C6 non Boss Poor Sound

Old 06-26-2016, 03:45 PM
BK n BLK
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Audio Question Regarding C6 non Boss Poor Sound

Thanks for reading post, and I know there is a ton of threads on audio, but I'm hoping to hear of a straight up solution.
Right to the point... passengers door speaker sound is very poor like a blown speaker, but it is intermittent, just changed the head unit and it made a big difference all together, sounded great for awhile then I stopped for a cold beverage, re-started it and the " blowen speaker" sound came back. Has anyone else come across this and what was the fix? Speaker? Amp? Wiring? does anyone have any non boss door speakers for sale ?
Thank you Appreciate any positive feed back.
Pat
Old 06-27-2016, 11:31 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

This happened to me earlier this season. Out of the blue, driver's side large speaker sounded horrendous at higher volumes. Drove me nuts. Mine was the BOSE, they have a built in amp on the driver's side. Had to be replaced. Got one from Champion, fairly easy replacement swap.

I would probably just replace both of your door speakers for better aftermarket ones, shouldn't be too expensive either. Stock speakers are never the greatest.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:49 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 657 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by corrado
This happened to me earlier this season. Out of the blue, driver's side large speaker sounded horrendous at higher volumes. Drove me nuts. Mine was the BOSE, they have a built in amp on the driver's side. Had to be replaced. Got one from Champion, fairly easy replacement swap.

I would probably just replace both of your door speakers for better aftermarket ones, shouldn't be too expensive either. Stock speakers are never the greatest.
Good advice. The non-Bose speakers are fairly inexpensive to buy.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:10 PM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

FYI - it's not as simple as swapping the Bose for aftermarket speakers as like Apple products replacing Bose is not so straight forward.

The reason being is that the Bose have their own amplifiers. So when you changed the deck did you go aftermarket or stay stock. If aftermarket you would have had an adapter installed to allow the new deck to use the Bose amps to drive the Bose speakers.

The issue you are having sounds like a cooked speaker.

Easiest and cheapest solution is to swap it out with another factory Bose.

Alternative is aftermarket speakers for both fronts (as there will be tonal differences running one side Bose and one side aftermarket). You can probably do it but it would add even more complexity and the installer would think you're crazy lol.

If you have a decent aftermarket deck (i.e. has a built in amplifier) you can drive the front pair off your deck and leave the rears using the factory amps and speakers in place. New wires will need to be run to both front housings for the speakers from the deck in this scenario.

If it were me, I would verify the speaker as being the culprit first...very easy to swap it out for another factory one if you can find one (or just swap your left speaker to the right and vice versa... if the issue moves from one side to the other than speaker issue it is...if not then maybe something else). If it is the speaker then decide what you want to do. If aftermarket is your preference and budget is an issue, just do the fronts for now and then do the rears later and add a sub and amp if you want to go that far.

Big assumption here is you have an aftermarket deck that can drive your front and possible rear aftermarket speakers.

If you have a factory deck then just replace the Bose speaker with another Bose speaker as that is the cheapest solution.

Hope the above is useful for you. Good luck.

Last edited by raztek; 06-27-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:37 PM
BK n BLK
Advanced

Hey thanks for the replies, I was heading towards the speakers also, just a little worried because it is not a consistent problem. I change the head unit pretty well knowing it would not be the fix, but was hoping it would solve it and then I would just leave it alone, what a big difference just doing that made. I appreciate the suggestions, I thought of swithing the spearker from one door to the other, but If I am going that far I might as well change them. I think I will just do the fronts. I will keep you posted and let you know. Pioneer screen was installed
Old 06-27-2016, 10:26 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by BK n BLK
Hey thanks for the replies, I was heading towards the speakers also, just a little worried because it is not a consistent problem. I change the head unit pretty well knowing it would not be the fix, but was hoping it would solve it and then I would just leave it alone, what a big difference just doing that made. I appreciate the suggestions, I thought of swithing the spearker from one door to the other, but If I am going that far I might as well change them. I think I will just do the fronts. I will keep you posted and let you know. Pioneer screen was installed
Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX installed last year running on the stock Bose speakers.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...o-install.html
Old 06-28-2016, 06:54 PM
BK n BLK
Advanced

Thanks Stan for your input, and a very nice head unit you installed, one of the best in my opinion.
Btw Stan you and I go back a long time.... I use to pedal ice cream ??
I gave your brother a white firebird, and I always respected and talked to your father when I saw him at his shop.
Ttyl and maybe will see each other at a meet.
Patrick
Old 06-29-2016, 11:12 AM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Btw Stan you and I go back a long time.... I use to pedal ice cream ??
Really? Wow, that's going on 30+ years ago.

I gave your brother a white firebird, and I always respected and talked to your father when I saw him at his shop.
Yeah they are still there.

Get notified of new replies

To Audio Question Regarding C6 non Boss Poor Sound

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audio Question Regarding C6 non Boss Poor Sound