Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Right Amount of Fuel Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 02:16 PM
66 milano
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Right Amount of Fuel Stabilizer

Sadly, for the Ottawa area, winter is sneaking up quickly; with our highs next week in the single digits.

So, getting ready to park my C7 for winter.

Any suggestions on the right amount of fuel stabilizer to put in?

Does amount of gas change things? It's 3 / 4 full and my plan was to put in X amount of stabilizer and then fill the tank.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2016, 03:34 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by 66 milano
Sadly, for the Ottawa area, winter is sneaking up quickly; with our highs next week in the single digits.

Does amount of gas change things? It's 3 / 4 full and my plan was to put in X amount of stabilizer and then fill the tank.

Thanks
read the bottle instructions.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:46 PM
formula1nut
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks
If you are only storing it from now until say April, or 6 months, I wouldn't use any!

I am not proud if it but I indoor stored my Camaro for 9 years without preparing it. After 9 years it stared second crank and no fuel issues at all!

Today's fuels are very good.

Just top it up and, if you can, start it occasionally.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:27 PM
JB08
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts

I put my C7 away for the first time last year. Reading the US forums one guy who said he was a chemical engineer claimed that today's fuels have sufficient additives that you don't need stabilizer if you store for less than a year. He did however also say that the stabilizer can act as insurance in case you do get the odd batch of bad fuel. I did add Stabil... the proportions are on the bottle's instructions.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:32 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JB08
I put my C7 away for the first time last year. Reading the US forums one guy who said he was a chemical engineer claimed that today's fuels have sufficient additives that you don't need stabilizer if you store for less than a year. He did however also say that the stabilizer can act as insurance in case you do get the odd batch of bad fuel. I did add Stabil... the proportions are on the bottle's instructions.
with Joe, what is another 5 bucks
Old 10-18-2016, 07:32 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

FWIW I fill my tank so moisture doesn't accumulate. Stabil as per the instructions plus an extra dose for good measure. Remove the battery. Fresh oil change and park it. Cover it and done.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:36 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dodosmike
FWIW I fill my tank so moisture doesn't accumulate. Stabil as per the instructions plus an extra dose for good measure. Remove the battery. Fresh oil change and park it. Cover it and done.
and Bob s your uncle !!!
Old 10-18-2016, 07:38 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyejack
and Bob s your uncle !!!
My dad actually.......for reals......
Old 10-18-2016, 10:02 PM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Just follow the directions on the bottle. If you add too much nothing will happen. Park the car, either remove the battery or hook up a battery tender.
Just don't start the car until spring time.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:53 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Most already do, but remember to fill and run with a zero-ethanol fuel when storing. I have a Costco nearby and their premium has none.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:11 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulUptime
Most already do, but remember to fill and run with a zero-ethanol fuel when storing. I have a Costco nearby and their premium has none.
I only use Shell premium (no ethanol) in my lawnmower and snowblower as well.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:38 AM
SAMMAN
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Interesting read in this C7 forum thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-storage.html

"The experts at GM now recommend only one quarter fill on the gas tank because of the sending unit. Moisture is no longer an issue with the C7 gas tanks. No need to fill them to top any longer. So please fill to only one quarter. Otherwise there is a risk of sulfur contamination on the sending unit."
Old 10-19-2016, 10:38 AM
66 milano
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to all the members for their suggestions. Obviously, there are some different view points here; add stabilizer based on bottle directions, no stabilizer if only for 6 months (which is exactly what it will be (November to April); gas tank full, and gas tank less than half full. I must confess, not sure what way to go. However, it appears that there is not a wrong way to put her away. I did get the battery protection pack, so no need to remove the battery.

Again, many thanks.

Wayne
Old 10-19-2016, 11:42 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Thanks to all the members for their suggestions. Obviously, there are some different view points here; add stabilizer based on bottle directions, no stabilizer if only for 6 months (which is exactly what it will be (November to April); gas tank full, and gas tank less than half full. I must confess, not sure what way to go. However, it appears that there is not a wrong way to put her away. I did get the battery protection pack, so no need to remove the battery.

Again, many thanks.

Wayne
Wayne - You did say C7 so requirements are quite different than storing something like a '66 Milano Maroon Midyear

C7's should be fueled with Prem anyway and are equipped much better for gas storage from plastic fuel tanks downline than an older car for example like my '65 Sting Ray or '75 Silverado. To keep moisture out of my steel gas tank, I fill to the brim with zero ethanol Stabil-added (and run through) Premium. The battery has a disconnect switch off or is removed and brought inside my shop for maintenance charging.

To me, the biggest concern of damage over winter months is mice, and that applies to everything stored. On our Airstream that stays outside, we use a very good rodent deterrent (not a poison) called FreshCab and leave -no joke- Coyote urine (imagine collecting that as a job) around the exterior. Seems to work great! I'm not a fan of poison or traps since I don't want dead critters rotting inside.

I also like to give everything a good clean/out vacuum (no food bits under the seats) and no loose items or box of tissues which they use as nesting material. Lavender scented dryer sheets get stuffed all round the interior as well as exterior bits, plus cedar moth ***** up around the suspension and engine compartment. Mice love wires and firewall insulation! I also like to pull plugs and spray a fogger into the engines and carb (it stays OFF all winter.) Finally, a light mist spray of WD40 or a rust inhibiting oil all over the suspension and underside bits. Raw aluminum parts are coated with a polymer spray, then wax or glaze as appropriate.

Our prep regimen is paced out in the late fall and I've found much cheaper and more pleasant than dealing with a consequences of not being prepared (lots of experience here of my own and others.) It also holds off any desire to take it out over the winter when we do get those unusually warm, clear days. Last year was an unusual exception. Driving around top down to Christmas parties was a blast, but I don't expect a repeat this year. Nope, it's time for focus, nose to the grindstone, getting all the other jobs done so everything's ready for maximum enjoyment in our next warm season, and when it arrives - it's "GO time" not -oooh what happened here..... time.

22 weekends until the first day of Spring, and I plan to enjoy every one of them!
Old 10-19-2016, 06:27 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

As I recall a full bottle of Stabil treats 70-75L of fuel which is pretty much what the Vette holds. I normally add to 1/2 - 3/4 tank drive it around to run it through the system then fill it up and park it for the winter.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:21 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Red Devil
As I recall a full bottle of Stabil treats 70-75L of fuel which is pretty much what the Vette holds. I normally add to 1/2 - 3/4 tank drive it around to run it through the system then fill it up and park it for the winter.
you park it for the summer also don t you ?
Old 10-19-2016, 09:01 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyejack
you park it for the summer also don t you ?
Yes, one bottle same tank of gas what's your point?

Get notified of new replies

To Right Amount of Fuel Stabilizer

Quick Reply: Right Amount of Fuel Stabilizer