Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Tahoe Z71 STOLEN

Old 01-12-2017, 06:25 PM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Tahoe Z71 STOLEN

Today around 2 I was shopping at the Wal-Mart plaza on North Queen in Etobicoke. I was in the store for 20 minutes. When I came outside the truck was gone. I thought I parked in the wrong spot. No such luck.
Who would steal an 06???
I called the police and they handled it on the phone.
I left my credit card bill in the truck so I cancelled the card.
The store had no outward facing cameras.
My insurance company (CAA) was great. I had a rental (Durango R/T) by 3:30
Maybe I will buy something next week at Barrett-Jackson.
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2017, 10:58 PM
The boss
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Probably already in a container, ready for oversea shipping, suv brings top dollars overthere. Sorry for the lost
Old 01-12-2017, 11:31 PM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by The boss
Probably already in a container, ready for oversea shipping, suv brings top dollars overthere. Sorry for the lost
Thanks, that's what I was thinking.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:21 AM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

Sorry to read that...had it happen to me when I left my 300ZX TT in the driveway cause I was painting the garage. Literally, paid it off the month before too. Was a grad gift to myself lol. Best question I got asked by the cop was what size shoes I wore cause I had left a pair in the car.

Was probably on a trailer that night and on its way to Montreal for overseas shipping.

This was the point when I joined the Corvette club.

I know below isn't solicited but offering up my experience in case it helps you...

Find proof of what your truck is worth (autotrader ads, dealer asking price, etc.,). They will try to low ball you and are required to provide alternative transport till you sign a settlement...use the cost of the rental to your advantage. They also will pay HST on top of the settlement amount. I ended up getting back what I paid for the car less $3k having owned it for 4 yrs and putting over 100,000 kms on it. With the little research I did, got $7k more than their initial settlement offer.

Any items left in the truck (i.e. not phsyically attached to the truck) would be paid out under your home policy vs. car policy and exposed to your deductible (for me this may have been cause the car was parked in the driveway...cannot remember exactly how that was handled).

Talk Replacement (of equal condition as your truck) cost vs. Market value as turning the discussion that way allowed some headway in my case.

Good luck...they will wait 30 days before talking about a settlement amount in case your truck is found.

^^ my experience - things may have changed in 20 yrs lol

Last edited by raztek; 01-13-2017 at 09:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Brian71 (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 12:54 PM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

I too had two full size pick up truck stolen from the GO train parking lot here in Oshawa, within 4 months.

The cops told me that by the time I found them gone, they were already in a container in Quebec headed for the Middle East.

The insurance adjuster told me to get a tracking device installed. I asked her what would happen if the next one was stolen and my tracker told me it was in a shipping container on a boat headed over sea's...would she go get it? She responded "no", so I said why waste my money then.

All vehicles in Quebec are supposed to be sold with a tracker now...so the buggers head on down here to Ontario to get the vehicles to ship.

It sucks big time...But I'll tell my wife to keep an eye out for your truck Brian...she really wants one. Maybe she can get it at a really good price
Old 01-13-2017, 01:05 PM
The boss
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Here in quebec, they ask you for a tracking devise only on vehicule over a certain value, the discount they give you pays for the device in 3 or 4 years so its not to bad. Still a pita when it happend.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:15 PM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 74Ken
I too had two full size pick up truck stolen from the GO train parking lot here in Oshawa, within 4 months.

The cops told me that by the time I found them gone, they were already in a container in Quebec headed for the Middle East.

The insurance adjuster told me to get a tracking device installed. I asked her what would happen if the next one was stolen and my tracker told me it was in a shipping container on a boat headed over sea's...would she go get it? She responded "no", so I said why waste my money then.

All vehicles in Quebec are supposed to be sold with a tracker now...so the buggers head on down here to Ontario to get the vehicles to ship.

It sucks big time...But I'll tell my wife to keep an eye out for your truck Brian...she really wants one. Maybe she can get it at a really good price
If she gets it at a good price can I get my tools back?
Old 01-16-2017, 05:22 PM
ZOHSIC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't always ship it off, sometimes they re-vin it from a wrecked one and keep on truckin'. Change the looks slightly and no one knows better.

Sorry to hear, looked like it was a gem.

Last edited by ZOHSIC; 01-16-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:06 PM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

Default Update truck found

The police phoned me this morning. They found it in the underground lot at Dufferin Mall.
The police have towed it to 11 division. They're checking for fingerprints. From there my insurance company is towing it to a body shop.
I was told the door/ignition locks were punched. The inside was ransacked. There doesn't appear to be any body damage (according to police).
That's all I can do for now. I'm off to Barrett-Jackson tomorrow so I'll deal with it when I get back.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:07 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Glad to hear it was found.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:42 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Never sure if it is a good thing they are found, hopefully not too much damage.

Enjoy the Barrett-Jackson show.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:02 AM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

Thanks
I'll post pics of the auction.
I'll update the Tahoe when I get back.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:07 AM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian71
Thanks
I'll post pics of the auction.
I'll update the Tahoe when I get back.
Do you still want your tools?????
LMAO

Sorry.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:26 AM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

Yes please 😭
Old 01-17-2017, 12:45 PM
gdm78vette
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I hope it wasn't taken for a joy ride like my car was when it was stolen. My car was found abandoned in an industrial area the day before insurance would have paid out and despite a fair amount of visible damage it was decided that it would be repaired. Well it turned out that there was quite a bit of not visible damage as well including a bent steering column and a fried clutch. Once all was said and done repair costs far exceeded what the car was worth and it was never the same.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:28 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn - why does it have to be so complicated now a days!
I mean - whatever became of when someone would steal a car just for a joy ride!
But in reality I'm only dreaming - cause the one time I had my car stolen - it was lost to me for years - & long after I had accepted the insurance buyout...
The ****** had retitled it under a wreck's VIN & then sold it to someone...
The scam fell apart a few years later - & by then I didn't want it back.
Good luck in getting yours back soon!
Old 01-18-2017, 07:42 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

my stolen car was found the day after I settled with the insurance company in a container in Halifax - insurance company kept the car and I kept the money

Get notified of new replies

To Tahoe Z71 STOLEN

Old 01-23-2017, 10:23 PM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

Default Update

I saw the truck today. The only damage is a scratch on the left door where the lock was broken. Plus the OnStar antenna is loose.
There some wires hanging behind the glove box.
Big bonus ALL my tools are still there. My sunglasses and I-phone charger are the only thing missing.
They scanned the codes none found. The oil was changed and a wheel alignment done.
Once repairs are done plus detailing inside and out I should have it back later this week.
Attached Images    
Old 01-24-2017, 06:34 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian71
I saw the truck today. The only damage is a scratch on the left door where the lock was broken. Plus the OnStar antenna is loose.
There some wires hanging behind the glove box.
Big bonus ALL my tools are still there. My sunglasses and I-phone charger are the only thing missing.
They scanned the codes none found. The oil was changed and a wheel alignment done.
That was nice of the thieves to change your oil and get an alignment done for you! (I know that's not what you meant) Glad to hear all looks well!
Old 01-24-2017, 07:40 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Pleased for you that it was returned with very little damage. Hate thieves.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tahoe Z71 STOLEN