Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Toronto Auto Show 2017 - Goodbye dear Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 09:56 AM
gaspeddleZ07
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stickshiftsteve
... with the new 10 speed auto - it may just be enough for me to give up driving a manual...?!
I agree, that 10 speed is amazing technology... I've had sticks in many of my cars, but I'd move to that in a heartbeat. BTW - you can get the 10 speed on the new ZL1 Camaro
Old 02-19-2017, 10:13 AM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gaspeddleZ07
I agree, that 10 speed is amazing technology... I've had sticks in many of my cars, but I'd move to that in a heartbeat. BTW - you can get the 10 speed on the new ZL1 Camaro
Thanks for this info - cause I didn't know that.
I had stopped following new Camaro developments - after GM decided to lower the headroom beyond what my 6-5 frame could handle.
And I was all set to buy the new C7 in 2014 - until I sat in one & found too little legroom to work the clutch... damn.
But time changes things - & now I find myself fully committed to having an auto in my next sports car - so what better way to go than with 10 gears!
Old 02-20-2017, 01:34 PM
Pompitup
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A friend of mine just ordered the ZL1 with 10 speed auto and that thing will fly!!! There is a video of the ZL1 on Neurenberg doing record laps and the driver never touched the padels as the transmission downshifts buy it's self. A great piece of machinery!!!
Old 02-20-2017, 01:38 PM
Pompitup
Intermediate

A friend of mine just ordered the ZL1 with the 10 speed auto and it will be a beast!!! The transmission with the 650hp makes the car fly. There is a video of the Zl1 10 speed auto going around the Neringberg doing flying laps and the driver never touches the shift padels as the car is doing all the work it's self. A great machine and did the laps effortlessly.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:59 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Based on what you've shared, I'm with others who have suggested the 10 speed auto Camaro ZL1...worth a seat to see if it fits.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:41 PM
Pompitup
Intermediate

Here is the video of the ZL1 doing laps. Notice the driver never used the paddles of the shifter. Beautiful engine sound too! The 6th Gen Camaro is also lighter now too!!!

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/20...ring-lap-time/

Old 02-20-2017, 06:51 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Ok - message received & thanks - I agree that the new Camaro is definitely worth a look.
But then if I'm gonna stay with Chevy - I'd rather buy another Vette ...?
I don't check all the boxes - & my last convertible build & price came in around $93,500.
Not sure how much negotiation room there is - but I gotta think with the C7's having being around a few years already & the mid engine C8 seen in development testing - there should be fair bit of room...?
Old 02-20-2017, 07:12 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Ok - message received & thanks - I agree that the new Camaro is definitely worth a look.
But then if I'm gonna stay with Chevy - I'd rather buy another Vette ...?
I don't check all the boxes - & my last convertible build & price came in around $93,500.
Not sure how much negotiation room there is - but I gotta think with the C7's having being around a few years already & the mid engine C8 seen in development testing - there should be fair bit of room...?
Check a lot less boxes! When I do a build and price on a new C7 it comes in at under $70k. Just need the bare necessities
Old 02-20-2017, 07:43 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Originally Posted by Patman
Check a lot less boxes! When I do a build and price on a new C7 it comes in at under $70k. Just need the bare necessities
Yea - I guess you're right - I don't need the 5 pc. luggage set!
But I would still want the convertible Z51 = $75,345
2LTpackage = $4,475
Then add in auto trans = $1,990
I don't know where I got the $93,500 number - cause even with my other wants checked - the total MRSB looks to be around $85,000.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:22 PM
Patman
Race Director

The heated and cooled seats and the HUD are good features of the 2LT, but for me I don't think it's worth $4,475 which is why I'd go for the 1LT. I don't need Z51, I'd be perfectly happy with the base model, especially when it comes time to replace the tires (lower cost for the 18/19 setup over the 19/20) and at oil change time too (Z51 takes twice as much oil) Plus the Z51 brake pads give off a ton of dust, while the base model's pads do not. I've always preferred the coupe so that's a money saver there too. Honestly the only options I absolutely must have are the carbon flash badge package (don't like them in chrome plus that option gets rid of the chrome strip on the front grill) and the dealer installed wing spoiler (not to be confused with the spoiler that comes on the Z51, this spoiler is different and rarely ordered) I would also add the $1990 for the auto trans, even though my C6 is a manual, because I promised my wife that my next Corvette would be automatic again so that she could drive it (which will be doubly important since this car will be the one we drive to Florida every winter and keep down there with us for 3 to 4 months)

As much as I'd love to order a new one though, in reality the C7 that I buy will probably end up being a used one, since I always buy my Corvettes used. I love it when the first owner treats the car like a garage queen so that I get a showroom new car that's half the price of new
Old 02-21-2017, 11:08 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

got the 1lt, and is all i need, i searched it out, didn t order, so had cpl things i wouldn t have ordered but are nice. has nav with pdr, don t care for nav, but only way can get pdr, z51 appearance package, i like that, black powder coated wheels,a must, npp exhaust, a must, mag ride, i love it, but not thinking i would order it.
carbon badge package,don t have, wouldn t order, plasti dip worked perfect on my chrome or jsut peel badges off.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:10 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Originally Posted by walleyejack
got the 1lt, and is all i need, i searched it out, didn t order, so had cpl things i wouldn t have ordered but are nice. has nav with pdr, don t care for nav, but only way can get pdr, z51 appearance package, i like that, black powder coated wheels,a must, npp exhaust, a must, mag ride, i love it, but not thinking i would order it.
carbon badge package,don t have, wouldn t order, plasti dip worked perfect on my chrome or jsut peel badges off.
Gotta say you're looks great - & I've owned & loved several black on black cars in the past.
But that was back when I still had the energy to keep my car as clean as it needed to be - for me to be comfortable when taking it out.
I'll blame age & my bad back as the cause of this.
I don't think I've turned into a slob - but I had a great drive this wknd - even with dust on the hood & a dash that needed a good wipe - Hahaha
So if I order the new Mustang I saw at the Auto Show - it will be white or silver.
But then a new C7 would also look great in either of these - or perhaps Sterling Blue - before they cancel the colour?
The following users liked this post:
walleyejack (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 12:14 PM
Patman
Race Director

But then a new C7 would also look great in either of these - or perhaps Sterling Blue - before they cancel the colour?
It's already too late, they have stopped taking orders for Sterling Blue already. So you'd have to find one in dealer stock.
The following users liked this post:
Stickshiftsteve (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 02:17 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Gotta say you're looks great - & I've owned & loved several black on black cars in the past.
But that was back when I still had the energy to keep my car as clean as it needed to be - for me to be comfortable when taking it out.
I'll blame age & my bad back as the cause of this.
I don't think I've turned into a slob - but I had a great drive this wknd - even with dust on the hood & a dash that needed a good wipe - Hahaha
So if I order the new Mustang I saw at the Auto Show - it will be white or silver.
thanks Steve. i drive it when i can, and i clean when i can, have had too many black vehicles and swore never again 8yrs ago, my how time flies.. lol but they look good when shined up.

Al
Old 02-22-2017, 02:18 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

It's already too late, they have stopped taking orders for Sterling Blue already. So you'd have to find one in dealer stock.

colour they should have never cancelled, was night race blue.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:10 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

colour they should have never cancelled, was night race blue.
Yes - that and Lime Rock Green!
Although I thought would look better if were a bit brighter or slightly lighter - to bring the green out more...?
LRG was the colour I was looking to in 2014 - but discovered the C7 too tight for me to drive with a manual.
But no longer a concern - my new car is gonna be an auto.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:35 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Yes - that and Lime Rock Green!
Although I thought would look better if were a bit brighter or slightly lighter - to bring the green out more...?
LRG was the colour I was looking to in 2014 - but discovered the C7 too tight for me to drive with a manual.
you would look good in a new 911t

Get notified of new replies

To Toronto Auto Show 2017 - Goodbye dear Vette?

Old 02-22-2017, 05:20 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

you would look good in a new 911t
Although I admire those cars very much - I've never felt enough passion to go out & buy one.
911's are quality engineered - & it certainly wasn't because of the rear engine - cause I did own a Corvair at one time - hahaha.
You know - I had checked them out at the show last year - when investigating my next option - but for some reason not this...
Old 02-22-2017, 05:42 PM
Patman
Race Director

PaddleshiftSteve just won't have the same ring to it!
Old 02-22-2017, 06:18 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

PaddleshiftSteve just won't have the same ring to it!
Hahaha!
You're right - I'm gonna have to do something about that!
I bet those things take some getting used too - but I'd guess 99% of the time - people with paddles - don't even bother shifting themselves.
I've tried it with my wife's Lincoln & my Edge - & I gotta say neither one gave me much of a thrill...
Any paddle shifters out there wanna tell me otherwise?

Quick Reply: Toronto Auto Show 2017 - Goodbye dear Vette?