Canadian Events Canada, eh?

c6 z06 battery recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 05:25 PM
Sprayy
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Default c6 z06 battery recommendations?

My battery seemed to have **** the bed over the winter. Whole car smells like sulfur and wont charge.

Any suggestions of a decent battery from Canadian Tire (or elsewhere) not looking to spend a million bucks
Old 03-01-2017, 06:12 PM
Pompitup
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprayy
My battery seemed to have **** the bed over the winter. Whole car smells like sulfur and wont charge.

Any suggestions of a decent battery from Canadian Tire (or elsewhere) not looking to spend a million bucks

What battery do you have now? Did you have a trickle charger on it?

AC Delco aka GM are really good and not that expensive. I would avoid Crappy tire as too many deed cells happening in new batteries.
Walmart also have good prices.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:57 PM
Sprayy
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a ctek on it. Actually took it out last week when it was nice and it was fine. It's a four year old plain motomaster battery. I notice the vent hose wasn't attatched to it either.

Originally Posted by Pompitup
What battery do you have now? Did you have a trickle charger on it?

AC Delco aka GM are really good and not that expensive. I would avoid Crappy tire as too many deed cells happening in new batteries.
Walmart also have good prices.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:58 PM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

Got mine at Costco.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:28 PM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I replaced mine with an AC Delco.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:56 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

What, no one likes Optima any more.

frank
Old 03-04-2017, 08:07 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Just replace with an AC Delco
Old 03-04-2017, 05:29 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
Just replace with an AC Delco
The following users liked this post:
Mad*Max (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 08:05 PM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

On more vote here for the Delco!
Old 03-06-2017, 03:11 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

AC Delco, replaced mine last fall, old one lasted 5 yrs, got a new AC again ...
Old 03-06-2017, 06:36 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

AC Delco. Only way to fly
Old 03-07-2017, 12:58 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I've had similar luck with about any battery. Actually, I tried a Canadian Tire AGM and it failed in a year which was terrible. So, I'd just get whatever price level battery you are comfortable with from Canadian Tire or Walmart or wherever.

For any battery except AGM, I would also get an acid absorbing mat in case something does go wrong and it leaks. Stick the mat under the new battery and drive.

I'm not a big fan of maintainers anymore. If the battery is connected and the car doesn't get driven, I plug it in about once a week for an afternoon or overnight instead of leaving it on continually. When disconnected over the winter, the battery is fine left for a month before being charged overnight. Even using a Ctek, I was seeing the acid (water) being slowly boiled out of the battery during long periods of use.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:13 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

My Delco (which I just bought in June) was not holding enough charge to start the car, I use a tender during the winter.

I got it replaced under warranty, but from now on I am just going to remove it from the car and store it inside. I don't start the car at all in the winter and these cars do draw some power constantly so I don't see the benefit of keeping it in. All the cold/warm/cold temperature cycles even being in the garage is never great on a battery. I will have to reset my radio and re-index the windows but no big deal.

I've had 3 Delco battery's in the life of my 08 Vette. It was suggested to me by a nameless Vette Buddy (RANDY!) that we need a stronger battery with more CCA. I was going to get a stronger one, but there is no Delco listed at least from the dealer that has more.

Whichever you end up picking, I would just remove it during storage, yours being a Z06 with the battery in the trunk will be even easier to remove.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:44 PM
Pompitup
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a disadvantage to removing the battery which is that you will have to drive the car around for a couple of days or so that you can pass all the emissions tests again if you need E-test done in the spring. If you do remove it never place it on concrete either as this will kill your battery.
The following users liked this post:
corrado (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 10:05 PM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by corrado
My Delco (which I just bought in June) was not holding enough charge to start the car, I use a tender during the winter.

I got it replaced under warranty, but from now on I am just going to remove it from the car and store it inside. I don't start the car at all in the winter and these cars do draw some power constantly so I don't see the benefit of keeping it in. All the cold/warm/cold temperature cycles even being in the garage is never great on a battery. I will have to reset my radio and re-index the windows but no big deal.

I've had 3 Delco battery's in the life of my 08 Vette. It was suggested to me by a nameless Vette Buddy (RANDY!) that we need a stronger battery with more CCA. I was going to get a stronger one, but there is no Delco listed at least from the dealer that has more.

Whichever you end up picking, I would just remove it during storage, yours being a Z06 with the battery in the trunk will be even easier to remove.
I remove the battery every year. All I had to do was re-index the windows. The radio kept the pre-sets.
Removing the battery from the Z06 is a nightmare. The battery barely fits. I use vice grips on the posts to remove the battery.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:47 PM
Frank4202
Melting Slicks

Received 401 Likes on 224 Posts

I had a ctek on it. Actually took it out last week when it was nice and it was fine. It's a four year old plain motomaster battery. I notice the vent hose wasn't attatched to it either.
When I worked at Canadian Tire, they offered 3 year free replacements and 9 years pro rated on their eliminator batteries. If you have the warranty booklet, bring it in and get a replacement at a reduced cost.

-Frank
Old 03-30-2017, 08:59 PM
My Sharona
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I just replaced a two year old red Optima that came in my 2001 with one from Costco. I take it from the comments above that this is a regular spring routine with these things.

Get notified of new replies

To c6 z06 battery recommendations?

Old 03-31-2017, 10:46 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Pompitup
There is a disadvantage to removing the battery which is that you will have to drive the car around for a couple of days or so that you can pass all the emissions tests again if you need E-test done in the spring. If you do remove it never place it on concrete either as this will kill your battery.
I've watched the monitors to make sure they were ready. Took all of about 10 minutes of driving the car.

Originally Posted by My Sharona
I just replaced a two year old red Optima that came in my 2001 with one from Costco. I take it from the comments above that this is a regular spring routine with these things.

You're doing something very wrong to your batteries if you need to replace them every couple of years.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:00 PM
My Sharona
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
You're doing something very wrong to your batteries if you need to replace them every couple of years.
The car was shipped to me a year ago with a dead battery and it never really came back to life.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:56 PM
oakvillec5
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JETZ
What, no one likes Optima any more.

frank
I'm on a nine year OPTIMA red, I think I'm on borrowed time, however still reading 13.8 - 14.0 !

Quick Reply: c6 z06 battery recommendations?