Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Open track days in Ontario?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 06:33 AM
tslsa28
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Open track days in Ontario?

Hello, I am now living in very Northern NY. I used to compete in NASA Time Trials on road courses for 15 years while living in California and want to do some open track days around this area. Lime Rock, Watkins, etc are all about 5-6 hours away but Shannonville and Calabogie are about 2 hours away. Does anyone know anything about these tracks (or any in Quebec) and how to get on them? In the US the track days are usually organized by clubs that rent the track but it looks like these tracks organize their own track days. Any info and experience anyone has would be great. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:52 AM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Usually posted on the forum. Here is a link to one of them

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...april-1-a.html
Old 03-29-2017, 11:07 PM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Shannonville used to have open track dates. You just have to show up. It's a free for all. It could use a re-pave. I was there around 5 years ago with the Porsche club. That track is hard on brakes/tires. It's a very technical track. I used to like going there.
I've been to Calabogie only once. The asphalt is smooth as glass and it had pretty good grip in the rain.
If I had a choice I'd go to Calabogie. The track is in better shape. Check their website, they may have info regarding track days. They do check how loud your car is.
Have you considered Mosport? It's roughly 90 minutes further west from Shannonville. They have lots of track days. I'm there 3-4 times a year.
There are hotels 30 minutes south of the track.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:46 AM
tslsa28
Racer

Brian71, thanks. That's helpful. Sounds like the best way to get on the track is thru the track's track days and Calabogie sounds like my first choice and their website does have dates for open track events. I looked on youtube and all the videos of Shannonville had what looked like a lot of kids in very modest cars just driving around. Calabogie looks a lot more organized with better drivers. Mosport will come maybe next year as I have a new baby girl and I probably shouldn't do any overnight track day trips just yet. Thanks again.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:48 AM
tslsa28
Racer

Zeeman, thanks. I think this year will be spent learning the local tracks and maybe I'll start competing again next year. The website you sent looks interesting and I'll keep it mind.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:38 AM
TrackClub
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tslsa28
Hello, I am now living in very Northern NY. I used to compete in NASA Time Trials on road courses for 15 years while living in California and want to do some open track days around this area. Lime Rock, Watkins, etc are all about 5-6 hours away but Shannonville and Calabogie are about 2 hours away. Does anyone know anything about these tracks (or any in Quebec) and how to get on
them? In the US the track days are usually organized by clubs that rent the track but it looks
like these tracks organize their own track days.
Any info and experience anyone has would be
great. Thanks.
Hi there!
Here's some info on the tracks close to you:
1) Shannonville - the venue is not the newest, a bit bumpy in a couple of spots, but most apexes had been repaved and it offers excellent layout (long config) just over 4km in length has every corner type in a book and is excellent for practicing, or just for fun. The track runs many open lapping and school events there at a modest fee (even cheaper if reg in advance). They are low key, but well organized, with
marshals and full safety, incl lunch. No "young" kids and a good variety of cars. Usually not too busy. Highly recommended!

2) Calabogie is superb. The best choice is not the track organized days (expensive!) but any HPDE events run by Ottawa BMW Club, or PCA clubs like Rennsport and NE Section. Both clubs run mutli group events incl "solo" for drivers qualified to run without instructors. Very well organized and great deals. GT Challenge offers amateur competition series there as well for race AND street cars. Uber fun!

3) Mt Tremblant is only 1hr further away from Calabogie (more or less) and offers an incredible venue, which for many is the best track in Canada. Again, Quebec BMW Club and PCA runs superb events there.

4) Mosport (aka Canadian Tire Motorsport Park) is awesome and the fastest track in N America.
Trillium BMW Club runs fantastic events there and so does UCR PCA but with them you need a Pcar.

I know these venues and organizers intimately, so don't hesitate to reach out should you like more details, or have questions. Cheers! Bill
Old 03-30-2017, 10:34 AM
TrackClub
Instructor

Originally Posted by TrackClub
Hi there!
Here's some info on the tracks close to you:
1) Shannonville - the venue is not the newest, a bit bumpy in a couple of spots, but most apexes had been repaved and it offers excellent layout (long config) just over 4km in length has every corner type in a book and is excellent for practicing, or just for fun. The track runs many open lapping and school events there at a modest fee (even cheaper if reg in advance). They are low key, but well organized, with
marshals and full safety, incl lunch. No "young" kids and a good variety of cars. Usually not too busy. Highly recommended!

2) Calabogie is superb. The best choice is not the track organized days (expensive!) but any HPDE events run by Ottawa BMW Club, or PCA clubs like Rennsport and NE Section. Both clubs run mutli group events incl "solo" for drivers qualified to run without instructors. Very well organized and great deals. GT Challenge offers amateur competition series there as well for race AND street cars. Uber fun!

3) Mt Tremblant is only 1hr further away from Calabogie (more or less) and offers an incredible venue, which for many is the best track in Canada. Again, Quebec BMW Club and PCA runs superb events there.

4) Mosport (aka Canadian Tire Motorsport Park) is awesome and the fastest track in N America.
Trillium BMW Club runs fantastic events there and so does UCR PCA but with them you need a Pcar.

I know these venues and organizers intimately, so don't hesitate to reach out should you like more details, or have questions. Cheers! Bill
EDIT: Motorsports Club of Ottawa (MCO) also runs at Calabogie and there is a local "club" that runs eve sessions there frequently. Look up 1morelap. I have a schedule for most venues with more info available via email if interested - just PM me. Ditto where best to stay etc.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:45 AM
tslsa28
Racer

TrackClub, thanks a lot. That's more good info. With my new baby I can't do a whole lot of days at the track this year and probably no overnight trips just yet. The 1morelap looks good at Calabogie and I may just pay the higher price for a couple of track days thru Calabogie and Shannonville. Next year I should be able to get out for some trips to Mosport. I'll keep in touch. Thanks again.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:28 PM
luffy
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Does anyone know if I can run a C5 convertible at Cayuga with aftermarket rollover protection? They seem pretty lax about enforcing technical regulations and its a fairly slow track (comparatively).

I get the feeling if I leave the top up, they won't ask too many questions.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:03 PM
TrackClub
Instructor

Originally Posted by luffy
Does anyone know if I can run a C5 convertible at Cayuga with aftermarket rollover protection? They seem pretty lax about enforcing technical regulations and its a fairly slow track (comparatively).

I get the feeling if I leave the top up, they won't ask too many questions.
the real question is: if you were to roll it (and some have succeeded to do it at TMP - speed of the track usually has little to do with it BTW), would the roll bar protect your noggin or not? Assuming the answer is yes, then indeed their eve sessions are pretty relaxed.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:05 AM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't underestimate the Shannonville Pro Track. It is 1 km shorter than the Full Track but sig faster. It is actually faster average lap speed than Calabogie. Not a lot of groups run this configuration but the Mobil 1 Time-Attack group does.

Calabogie is indeed a wonderful track and is very pretty and Mosport is an absolute thrill, faster than Watkin's Glen but also quite intimidating to the unititiated. Certainly at Mosport you want to go to a lapping day with good instruction i.e either a Trillium BMW weekend or the Mobil 1 Time-Attack School before just going out on a lark. You can check the latter out at www.time-attack.ca

The Shannonville track days booked at the track are very cheap but often have a lot of yahoos and under experienced drivers including some full out novices. Fortunately they are pretty lightly populated. Nice thing about Shannonville is that it is a low consequence track, unlike Mosport and to some extent Calabogie. (Personal opinion here but TMP is just pretty boring)

Forgot to mention that we had 7 Corvettes at last years Mobil 1 Time-Attack at Shannonville. Chevrolet was actually the most represented manufacturer. (Previously it was Mazda)

Last edited by Soloontario; 04-01-2017 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:15 AM
tslsa28
Racer

Soloontario, thanks for the input. The Time Attack looks like a lot of fun and it could be the best way to get on Shannonville with experienced drivers and even better if I can get to know some of the Corvette guys around the area.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:19 AM
TrackClub
Instructor

Originally Posted by tslsa28
Soloontario, thanks for the input. The Time Attack looks like a lot of fun and it could be the best way to get on Shannonville with experienced drivers and even better if I can get to know some of the Corvette guys around the area.
OTA are super guys, even though you'll have to study a 64 page rule book (sorry Dave, couldn't resist )
One comment: ZERO yahoos at the track run events at SMP. Very well managed, full marshals, EMS, zero BS. And cheap! Not to be confused with other events, especially evening ones, which are rented by private parties where "helmets are optional". Pro Track is very fun. Full track is even more so
Old 04-01-2017, 09:06 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackClub
OTA are super guys, even though you'll have to study a 64 page rule book (sorry Dave, couldn't resist )
One comment: ZERO yahoos at the track run events at SMP. Very well managed, full marshals, EMS, zero BS. And cheap! Not to be confused with other events, especially evening ones, which are rented by private parties where "helmets are optional". Pro Track is very fun. Full track is even more so
Bill, you have been away form OTA for too long. The rule book is sig shorter (and the competition rules even more fair than before). For the OP, we use a computer based classification system that puts you in a class with very similar performance cars. You plug in your base car, mods, and tire choice and it spits out your class. Really quite neat.

To give you an idea of the differences in the Shannonville Pro Track and Full Track, last year the fastest Corvette at the Pro Track (remember it is the faster track) was a 2009 ZR-1 on Michelin Sport Cup 2s but the fastest on the Full track was a basic C5 on fresh Nitto NT01s. Both drivers were very experienced. This same C5 was the slowest on the faster track configuration and the fastest on the slower config.

Bill, I wish my experience had been the same at the track run days at Shannonville. They don't require helmets and the marshals are not very good at showing blue flags. Certainly the numbers are small which means getting around some of the people who don't seem to use their mirrors doesn't happen too often but there are times I just come in to the pits, wait about 90 seconds and go out again. Tons of track time though and Shannonville is a great track to learn car control and/or limits with little fear of damage beyond your ego.

Last edited by Soloontario; 04-01-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:56 AM
TrackClub
Instructor

I do have very fond memories from my days with OTA Albeit the PAX system drove me nuts back then and likely would drive me nuts now lol!
Like the 2004 C5 Z06 handling index being rated much higher than that of a 2012 Cayman R.
Much prefer bracket type comp a la GT Challenge. But that's off topic. The bottom line for the OP: tons of choices! And don't forget about Mt Tremblant - not that much further from Calabogie, yet amazing and many folk's absolute fave incl yours truly. Happy tracking!

Get notified of new replies

To Open track days in Ontario?

Quick Reply: Open track days in Ontario?