Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

are chamois' bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 06:04 PM
Wadds
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are chamois' bad?

chamois leather can trap dirt, grit or road debris between the material and the paint film surface causing scratches. Gee ironically i have TONS of fine light scratches randomly all over my car. if i am to not use my loving chamois anymore then what should I use?

PS does anyone have an extra front emblem for my 98 C5? someone tried to rip it off and destroyed it
Old 02-13-2005, 07:15 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

I would suggest looking into waffle weave drying towels...you'll never miss the chamois.

www.pakshak.com - PM me for a discount code.

You should be able to pick up an emblem from the dealer for a small fee.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:02 PM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I use a 100% american cotton beach towel, zero scratches
Old 02-13-2005, 10:36 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wadds
chamois leather can trap dirt, grit or road debris between the material and the paint film surface causing scratches. Gee ironically i have TONS of fine light scratches randomly all over my car. if i am to not use my loving chamois anymore then what should I use?

PS does anyone have an extra front emblem for my 98 C5? someone tried to rip it off and destroyed it
The inherent problem of any flat weave drying towel; is that it breaks the surface tension to ‘lift’ the water from the surface along with any protective wax

Modem synthetic materials have gained ground and the use of chamois is being replaced by Microfiber waffle weave technology as they hold more water (approx. 5 times more water, therefore require wringing out less often) and will not `pull' wax from a paint surface as the ‘dimpled ‘pattern of the towel allows air pockets that do not allow ‘lift’ like a flat towel surface

Or as someone on one of the detailing forums so eloquently put it “Chamois sucks!”

JonM

Get notified of new replies

To are chamois' bad?

Quick Reply: are chamois' bad?