Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Removing Liquid Glass

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 08:43 AM
evocoder
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Liquid Glass

Last summer (which seems like a long time ago here in Minnesnowta) I applied a few coats of Liquid Glass. I just ordered one of the Zaino kits and am going to remove the liquid glass in a few weeks (if it ever warms up here).

Will dawn/claybar get rid of the LG, or do I need to do something else? I believe the LG can says mineral spirits or something. I haven't applied any since probably september, and it's been through 3 gas station car washes since then.

Thanks
Old 03-13-2005, 10:31 AM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a wash w/ Dawn should work.

Other may know better.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:05 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dawn may remove it, to ensure a clean surface use Dupont's Prepsol or Isopropyl alcohol
JonM
Old 03-13-2005, 12:59 PM
DsC5
Race Director

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Dawn may remove it, to ensure a clean surface use Dupont's Prepsol or Isopropyl alcohol
JonM
Old 03-13-2005, 02:20 PM
evocoder
Intermediate

Ok thanks.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:21 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default That should do it the Dawn. I have over 50 coats of Liquid Glass Polish on my car

Originally Posted by evocoder
Last summer (which seems like a long time ago here in Minnesnowta) I applied a few coats of Liquid Glass. I just ordered one of the Zaino kits and am going to remove the liquid glass in a few weeks (if it ever warms up here).

Will dawn/claybar get rid of the LG, or do I need to do something else? I believe the LG can says mineral spirits or something. I haven't applied any since probably september, and it's been through 3 gas station car washes since then.

Thanks
So I switched to Klasse AIO and Klasse Sealant on this car and with the claybar and AIO it pretty much cleaned everything and all of that past hard work of applying all of those coats of Liquid Glass over an 18 year period.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:00 PM
VETFVER
Burning Brakes

That is funny. I went from Zaino to Liquid Glass and you are going from Liquid Glass to Zaino. I find a 50/50 mix of Liquid Glass and Meguiar's Tech Wax a great combination. You might want to try it sometime. I mixed Liquid Glass with Zaino but it still attracted dust so I gave my two bottles of Zaino away along with the blue stuff that comes already mixed in Liquid Glass.

I would use your detergent to wash the car and then a good polish like #83 Meguiar's to remove the wax and a good chunk of Orange peal. My Z06 friend came over this last weekend for a detail-a-thon. He used my orbital buffer and removed about 50% of the Orange peal. It made a huge difference.

Good luck and keep an open mine.

Dan
Old 03-15-2005, 02:32 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Actually I have used 3 products total 2 on the older car and 1 (Zaino) on new car.

Originally Posted by VETFVER
That is funny. I went from Zaino to Liquid Glass and you are going from Liquid Glass to Zaino. I find a 50/50 mix of Liquid Glass and Meguiar's Tech Wax a great combination. You might want to try it sometime. I mixed Liquid Glass with Zaino but it still attracted dust so I gave my two bottles of Zaino away along with the blue stuff that comes already mixed in Liquid Glass.

I would use your detergent to wash the car and then a good polish like #83 Meguiar's to remove the wax and a good chunk of Orange peal. My Z06 friend came over this last weekend for a detail-a-thon. He used my orbital buffer and removed about 50% of the Orange peal. It made a huge difference.

Good luck and keep an open mine.

Dan
On the older car which is Oxnard White I have over 50 coats of Liquid Glass over an 18 year period. I found that liquid glass polish works out the swirls and scratches the best. I left the car to bake in the sun after using Liquid Glass as it says to do.
Then I started noticing the paint finish on this car was getting thinner(probably too much polishing) so I switched to Klasse AIO and Klasse Sealant which gave a much better shine but it shows the swirls and scrathces more than the Liquid Glass did.
In conclusion now I am using Klasse AIO and Sealant on one car and Zaino on the other car.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing Liquid Glass

Quick Reply: Removing Liquid Glass