Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Much better than Zaino

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 11:59 PM
VETFVER
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Much better than Zaino

Open up my Beauty aid cupboard and you will find lots of Meguiar's products. I bought an armload of Zaino and found that product produced a nice shine but attracted a lot of dust. Liquid Glass has been on my shelf for years. Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax was terrific until today. By the way, I love their #83 Polish and Quick Detailer. I have never ever tried any of Mothers Products before ever. Who could possibly want something cooked up by someone’s mother? Well, I read about Mothers new Reflections Polymer Wax and thought I would give it a try. So off to Pep Boys and $20 later, I walked out of the store with Mothers Reflections in a shiny red plastic bottle. Before I would put any of that on my precious Corvette, I went over to the Mercedes SLK trunk lid under my favorite light in the garage and waxed half of the trunk lid with a 50/50 mix of Meguiar's Tech Wax and my all-time favorite Liquid Glass. Over on the left side Mothers Reflections. To see what the wax looked like on the car I turned on the overhead garage light. I could see down through the wax and down through the clear-coat to the paint. Around the edges of the light fixture, I could clearly see the wax rippling around the edges of the light. Well, the ripples were greater around the Tech Wax / Liquid Glass side of the trunk than they were on the Mothers Reflections side of the trunk. Conclusion, Mothers produced a smoother surface! That I could clearly see. Standing back, it looked like the car was covered in a sheet of clear liquid glass. It had the wet look of Zaino and the depth of color Meguiar’s is noted for enhancing. Taken by surprise I was stunned. I waxed the hood of the Corvette, which reflected everything in the garage. Ah, I now understand how Mothers came up with the waxes name Reflections. The wax went on quick and easy and came off with one swipe of the towel. Speaking of towels, I’m beginning to notice scratches in the wax caused by pressing to hard with a micro fiber towel. I am back on terrycloth towels. The next thing you know my Torch Red Z06 friend shows up with his freshly waxed car. Ten seconds after seeing mine he had a sponge in one hand and a container of my Mothers Reflections in the other. On a scale of one to ten, my friend and I give it a solid 10. Yes, I would buy it again. Sorry Meguiar’s – sorry Liquid Glass, I just might have found the best wax I have seen on the planet. No, I don’t work for mothers nor have I ever tried any of their other products. You would be remiss if you did not give it a try.

Dan
Old 03-27-2005, 07:07 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 419 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by VETFVER
Open up my Beauty aid cupboard and you will find lots of Meguiar's products. I bought an armload of Zaino and found that product produced a nice shine but attracted a lot of dust. Liquid Glass has been on my shelf for years. Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax was terrific until today. By the way, I love their #83 Polish and Quick Detailer. I have never ever tried any of Mothers Products before ever. Who could possibly want something cooked up by someone’s mother? Well, I read about Mothers new Reflections Polymer Wax and thought I would give it a try. So off to Pep Boys and $20 later, I walked out of the store with Mothers Reflections in a shiny red plastic bottle. Before I would put any of that on my precious Corvette, I went over to the Mercedes SLK trunk lid under my favorite light in the garage and waxed half of the trunk lid with a 50/50 mix of Meguiar's Tech Wax and my all-time favorite Liquid Glass. Over on the left side Mothers Reflections. To see what the wax looked like on the car I turned on the overhead garage light. I could see down through the wax and down through the clear-coat to the paint. Around the edges of the light fixture, I could clearly see the wax rippling around the edges of the light. Well, the ripples were greater around the Tech Wax / Liquid Glass side of the trunk than they were on the Mothers Reflections side of the trunk. Conclusion, Mothers produced a smoother surface! That I could clearly see. Standing back, it looked like the car was covered in a sheet of clear liquid glass. It had the wet look of Zaino and the depth of color Meguiar’s is noted for enhancing. Taken by surprise I was stunned. I waxed the hood of the Corvette, which reflected everything in the garage. Ah, I now understand how Mothers came up with the waxes name Reflections. The wax went on quick and easy and came off with one swipe of the towel. Speaking of towels, I’m beginning to notice scratches in the wax caused by pressing to hard with a micro fiber towel. I am back on terrycloth towels. The next thing you know my Torch Red Z06 friend shows up with his freshly waxed car. Ten seconds after seeing mine he had a sponge in one hand and a container of my Mothers Reflections in the other. On a scale of one to ten, my friend and I give it a solid 10. Yes, I would buy it again. Sorry Meguiar’s – sorry Liquid Glass, I just might have found the best wax I have seen on the planet. No, I don’t work for mothers nor have I ever tried any of their other products. You would be remiss if you did not give it a try.

Dan
What color car(s) do you have?
Old 03-27-2005, 10:01 AM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Mothers new synthetic line is also getting very good reviews over on Roadfly.org. Thanks for the review and update on Reflections.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:58 PM
VETFVER
Burning Brakes

The color of my car is Anniversary Red. I saw it out in the sun today and have never seen it look so good. My wife was in shock and awh!

Dan
Old 03-27-2005, 03:06 PM
exceldetail
Instructor

My Vette would have Clearkote RMG, and 2 layers of Four Star UPP......I dont knock the Mothers, I just prefer the boutique products....
Old 03-27-2005, 04:17 PM
VETFVER
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by exceldetail
My Vette would have Clearkote RMG, and 2 layers of Four Star UPP......I dont knock the Mothers, I just prefer the boutique products....
It never hurts to try a new product. Like I said, I have never used a Mothers product before. Truthfully, I have never seen my Corvette or any other Corvette with or without Zaino look as nice. I did like the wet look of Zaino. I would love to rant and rave about how good it is but it attracted to much dust and I really did not like that. I thought it lost its wet look quickly as well. This new Mothers Reflections product is now my new number one Polymer Wax in my car care arsenal.

No matter what product you now love, you sould give it a try is all I am saying. If you try it, you can't help but like the look.

Dan

Last edited by VETFVER; 03-28-2005 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:00 AM
Kevin V
Pro

How does Zaino attract dust??? I've seen this mentioned a few times lately.

Dust will settle everywhere, it isn't picky what it settles on. You put 2 cars next to each other, one with Zaino and one with say a carnauba product, they will both have the same amount of dust on them. The difference is how much a product holds onto the dust. The Z-6 removes any static and makes the surface very slick. I can even blow dust off the surface.

So I have to ask, how does Zaino attract dust???
Old 03-28-2005, 08:59 AM
waxdaddy
Heel & Toe

Old 03-28-2005, 10:08 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Not falling for this one again...
Old 03-28-2005, 10:37 AM
bretfraz
Racer

Originally Posted by Kevin V
How does Zaino attract dust??? I've seen this mentioned a few times lately.
Usually by the same person, too.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:22 PM
VETFVER
Burning Brakes

If you are asking me, I would say Zaino had a positive or negative charge that attracted dust that might have had a positive or negative charge. Even the sides of the car attracted dust. Zaino was only used on the Corvette with Liquid Glass on my Mercedes SLK and the wife's Suzuki Aero. Interestingly, only the Corvette had the dust problem. After battling with the dust problem for over a month, I gave the rest of my Zaino away.

All I am asking is that you try Mothers Reflections. I have never seen another wax like it. Keep an open mind and you just might discover some new product that you will really like.

Dan
Old 03-28-2005, 03:01 PM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

As my question always goes....How about durability for those that don't get to wax/polish very often?

Jim
Old 03-28-2005, 03:14 PM
VETFVER
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Corpsvette
As my question always goes....How about durability for those that don't get to wax/polish very often?

Jim
Hi Jim:

The wet look has not diminished but how long it will last on the car is anyone's guess. I think the product is relatively new.

If I sold wax for a living, I would be shaking in my boots right about now. Once the Zaino crowd discovers Mothers Reflections, they will set their Zaino aside. I’m still can’t believe it myself!

Dan
Old 03-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

If I sold wax for a living, I would be shaking in my boots right about now. Once the Zaino crowd discovers Mothers Reflections, they will set their Zaino aside. I’m still can’t believe it myself!
Dan
How many times have we heard this? Yet, Zaino is still the product that everyone compares every new product to. It is, has been and will continue to be the bench mark in car care products. I don't think Zaino is shaking in his boots.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:33 PM
C5corvetteman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Crusher
How many times have we heard this? Yet, Zaino is still the product that everyone compares every new product to. It is, has been and will continue to be the bench mark in car care products. I don't think Zaino is shaking in his boots.

Zaino's is the product that others have to be measured up against. All have fallen short of the superior quality of Zaino's.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:36 PM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Jim:

Dan
Mothers Reflections is another in a long list of products that were said to be better than Zaino.
I've been here just under 6 years and Zaino is still the one everything is compared to.
Funny thing is Zaino is still here and many other "flavors of the month"are gone.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:44 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C5corvetteman
Zaino's is the product that others have to be measured up against. All have fallen short of the superior quality of Zaino's.

My main problem's with Zaino are:

1. Can't buy it in the store.

2. You can spot a Zainoed car a block away... looks like it's covered in plastic wrap. I don't find that superior in any way.

On a well prepared car, most any LSP in going to look good. Hell, a well prepared car with no wax/sealant looks good.

Prep is everything!!!

Trust me dude, all have not fallen short of Zaino or any other product. There is plenty of great stuff out there and Zaino is just one of them.

Get notified of new replies

To Much better than Zaino

Old 03-28-2005, 04:14 PM
VETFVER
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DaBoz
My main problem's with Zaino are:

1. Can't buy it in the store.

2. You can spot a Zainoed car a block away... looks like it's covered in plastic wrap. I don't find that superior in any way.

On a well prepared car, most any LSP in going to look good. Hell, a well prepared car with no wax/sealant looks good.

Prep is everything!!!

Trust me dude, all have not fallen short of Zaino or any other product. There is plenty of great stuff out there and Zaino is just one of them.
Hi DaBoz:

Since you are one of the few people who has an open mind, would you mind investing $20 in bottle of Mothers Reflections? Silver is a tough color I know because it is almost all clear-coat. It is hard to see the wax on a silver car so I know what you are up against. In any case, I would like to hear an opinion from someone who has tried it rather than someone who hates it without even trying it first.

Anyone else willing to give it a try?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 03-28-2005, 04:18 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Hi DaBoz:

Since you are one of the few people who has an open mind, would you mind investing $20 in bottle of Mothers Reflections? Silver is a tough color I know because it is almost all clear-coat. It is hard to see the wax on a silver car so I know what you are up against. In any case, I would like to hear an opinion from someone who has tried it rather than someone who hates it without even trying it first.

Anyone else willing to give it a try?

Thanks,

Dan
What, did you just go out and buy some Mothers stock recently or what?
Old 03-28-2005, 04:33 PM
VETFVER
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by agentf1
What, did you just go out and buy some Mothers stock recently or what?

Until last Friday, I had never bought a Mothers product. I have no idea if they are publicly held or privately held. I am just surprised at what a good product Mothers Reflections is. I'm a Meguiar's guy myself or at least I was until last Friday.

I would like to hear from someone else who has tried it besides me. Would you be willing to give us your two cents after trying it?

Dan

Quick Reply: Much better than Zaino