Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Chamois vs. Microfiber

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 03:01 PM
KDH
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chamois vs. Microfiber

I've been seeking out whatever threads I can find relating to drying products (cotton towels, microfiber, etc.) and one thing I've noticed is that there is almost never any mention of chamois. Forgive a newbie for asking what may be obvious to some, but is there something wrong with chamois? I guess I'm old school, but that's what I've always used in the past. I'm definitely willing to try something new, and right now I'm leaning towards microfiber towels--I just don't want my first wash to go bad and end up with swirls on my virgin paint. If microfiber is the answer, which brand is the best? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:23 PM
bretfraz
Racer

I used a chamois for many years detailing cars and while they have their benefits, they've been eclipsed by microfiber technology. One of the biggest drawbacks of a chamois is their inability to hold small pieces of grit. If you get a little dirt or grease on a chamois, there is a real chance of dragging it all over the paint. At least with microfiber or cotton terry the nap will hold the crud better and help minimize paint damage.

Microfiber is far more absorbent than cotton terry and does not leave water droplets on the paint like a chamois does. Microfiber is also far softer than cotton terry (softer than human hair, even) so the chances of marring your paint are minimal. If it gets dirty, just throw it in the wash. Can't do that with a chamois!

Here's a great intro to microfiber: http://www.properautocare.com/micwhatbigde.html

The hot tip for drying is the waffle weave microfiber towel. It's a perfect tool for the task. Check one out here: http://www.properautocare.com/bigbludryint.html

You can also check out forum sponsors for towel supplies. Lots of places carry them. Meguiar's just introduced a new line of towels including a waffle weave drying towel. They're available at Pep Boys.

Hope all this helps!
Old 04-07-2005, 03:47 PM
KDH
Instructor

It does help. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2005, 04:51 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Microfiber and leaf blower all the way!

Old 04-07-2005, 05:16 PM
KDH
Instructor

Until I saw them mentioned on CF, I never thought of using a leaf blower. I was actually thinking about getting a small air compressor. Overkill?
Old 04-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Alzado77
Racer

Good thread, was wondering the same thing about chamois. Guess it's time to upgrade to a leaf blower and a microfiber towel. I'm disappointed I didn't read this earlier because I just bought a gas leaf blower and now find out the electric is the way to go.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:27 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Your gas blower may be absolutely fine...
Just check the unit or the manual to see where it discharges its exhaust... a separate port or muffler is much more prefereable than through the blower. That ensure you are not blowing oil residue or combustion comtaminants onto your freshly washed paint
Old 04-08-2005, 11:08 AM
Violet
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we use microfiber towels... different ones for different jobs.. for most all of the cleaning details on the C6. drying... removing wax/polish... cleaning the glass.... interior.

anyway, have had really good luck with www.exceldetail.com ...good product. good prices.. EXCELLENT customer service. i'd recommend them. (and.. NO... i'm not connected to them. lol )

Old 04-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Violet
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ps - and just to add another "viewpoint"... and it may sound funny, but if you WASH correctly you really won't have much to dry. no, really, i'm serious! LOL

after we wash... take the spray nozzle off the hose... turn the water down to where it's just a slow, steady stream.. and starting at the top of the car, of course, just let the water run over the car. as long as you have a decent wax job... the "surface tension" of the water will cause 95% of the water to simply sheet up and run off.

we do this everytime.. and no leaf blower or anything else is required. 95% of the water is gone. back the car into the garage... get a fresh microfiber towel, walk around the car once and *literally* just blot up a few spots of remaining water in a couple places where it "pools" a little and the "drying" is done. no real drying to do, the water does all the work for ya.

try it..nutty as it sounds, it really works.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Cybercowboy
Team Owner

Stealthy Puma Member
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Love microfiber towels! I must have 40 of them at least including a big waffle weave towel. They are the greatest.

I also like to use my electric leaf blower for drying the wheels, nooks and crannies, and mirrors especially. Damn things drip water for hours otherwise. I finish rinsing, give it a quick blast with the blower all over, dry with microfiber towels, then go back over it with the blower and small MF towel.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:06 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

The sheeting technique that Violet describes works well for horozontal surfaces, but I find does not address the nooks & crannies areas in Cybercowboys post...

The combination of sheeting and blowing minimizes the need to rub any towels across the surface minimizing the possibility of swirl marks

Get notified of new replies

To Chamois vs. Microfiber

Quick Reply: Chamois vs. Microfiber