Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Wax: Meguiars NXT vs Zaino

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 10:02 PM
Jbal
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Wax: Meguiars NXT vs Zaino

Folks;
Trying to decide between the above mentioned to polish my new LMB Coupe. Let me say upfront, that I'm aware after reading many posts & viewing photos on the Forum, that Zaino is just terrific! But, I like most of you like to drive, & I'm really not interested in what might be a 9 hour ordeal. Your experiences with Meguiars NXT would really be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 04-23-2005, 10:14 PM
JR_C6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NXT will look great on your LMB - I've used it on mine (also have used Zaino in the past). It goes on easy, looks great (has much depth on my LMB) and last a long time.

I have switched to Menzerna FMJ. It is as easy to apply as NXT (easier to remove) but more reflective - much like Zaino - but with the depth of better carnuba waxes. It lasts like the other great polymers. Worth looking into for your LMB.

Good luck!!
Old 04-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The main thing I don't like about NXT is the white residue it leaves behind when you wipe it off.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:16 PM
RX4WRK
Burning Brakes

No braino....just say no to Zaino......

Go NXT or Pinnacle......
Old 04-23-2005, 10:19 PM
DC-STRO
Race Director

Location: After reading this thread, I gotta tell ya... you're an ass. .
Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-11-'12-'13

I have never used Zaino....YET.. However last week I tried NXT, and it was very easy to put on and take off...I was very happy with the shine.
It was the best I have used so far.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:19 PM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RX4WRK
No braino....just say no to Zaino......
So, you're saying with Zaino, I'm throwing my money down the draino?
Old 04-23-2005, 10:25 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am a Zaino user, but I try anything that looks promising. I bought the NXT and used it on the perfect test bed, a black Silverado SS. I put it on before winter and it looked just OK, within a week I started to notice that it was looking like there was no wax on the thing, the swirl marks were really showing up badly. So I re waxed it with 3M and it looked much better longer. So now I hear that they are coming out with a spray detailer and wanted to try it. So I buy it and decide to buff the truck and apply a thick coat of NXT with a Porter Cable Dual action buffer because it would be an unfair test of the detailer with any other wax than what it was designed for. I did the application and was very impressed with how it looked. Then after three days or so in the sun the truck was looking a bit dull and lackluster. So I tried the detailer, not much help as a matter of fact it looked worse after the detailer. So I tried that wax as you dry from Eagle One and it looks every bit as good as the NXT with 1/10th the work. NXT is truly garbage IMHO. I am going to Zaino the truck. But I will just Z1, and then Z2. In reality it only takes about a couple of hours max, and most of that is letting the stuff dry. This time I will use the Porter Cable for the application and that will cut the time in half.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:28 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I just did 1 coat of Pinnacle, topped it with NXT...looked good that day. Pinnacle is WAAAYYY easier though b/c you don't need to wait for it to dry. My car doens't seem to clean up as good with the NXT though...not sure why.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:41 PM
Jbal
Drifting

Wow!!
TedG: NXT is garbage? Well,I might not buy, but many folks seem to be very pleased. I'm really confused here. After many views Meguiars seems to enjoy a wonderful reputation! Am I wrong here? If Zainos' the best way to go, then I guess thats' what I'll do. BUT, NXT seems so much more less time consuming.
Thanks to all of you that have responded.
Jerry
Old 04-23-2005, 10:50 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I used Zaino till NXT came out. My '04 coupe looks great using NXT. Never really found Zaino to be everything it's cracked up to be. Zaino is mail order only and $$$$. NXT is found just about everywhere and alot less costly. I have never been disappointed with ANYTHING Meguiar's sells.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:14 PM
Jbal
Drifting

Lager99;
Never heard of Pinnacle! Can you advise!
Much Thanks-Jerry
Also, NDMIKE88, much thanks for the response-I'm leaning toward Meguiars-Thanks.
Jerry
Old 04-23-2005, 11:34 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by JR_C6
I have switched to Menzerna FMJ. It is as easy to apply as NXT (easier to remove) but more reflective - much like Zaino - but with the depth of better carnuba waxes. It lasts like the other great polymers. Worth looking into for your LMB.

Good luck!!
Great stuff.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:40 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbal
Wow!!
TedG: NXT is garbage? Well,I might not buy, but many folks seem to be very pleased. I'm really confused here. After many views Meguiars seems to enjoy a wonderful reputation! Am I wrong here? If Zainos' the best way to go, then I guess thats' what I'll do. BUT, NXT seems so much more less time consuming.
Jerry

NXT is FAR from garbage so don't believe that for a second. It looks fantastic on both my red 'Vette and my black Lexus. In fact, it brings out the best shine I've seen yet on those cars. It's also very easy to use as many others have said. It's best just to try it yourself and see whether or not you're happy with the results. For $14 a bottle, I haven't found anything that can compete with it.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:42 PM
jrp998
Instructor

Default Nxt

Just used NXT for the first time on my MAG RED coupe and the gloss is unbeliveable. Went on and came off with a breeze no residue,was totally impressed. Will definetly continue to use this product.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:44 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jbal
Wow!!
Jerry
I try everything, and like I said that big black SS is an awesome testbed. I pay attention to how long a wax looks good. I am also a Meguair's fan. I feel that some of their products are second to none. I live in a very dry climate and wax doesn't seem to last long here. You can tell by how quickly the swirl marks start to show up. I try many, many waxes and NXT is about as bad a performer as I have tried. It may be OK if you wax every week. I don't have time for that. So even though Zaino has an initial investment in time, it pays dividends in the end. Also I was a Zaino skeptic, I hate to mail order wax. I want to go to the store and get what I need. But I end up mail ordering
Zaino year after year. Also let me say that just washing with Dawn, then putting on Z1 (not wiping it off) and then applying Z2 is barely more work than regular wax, just the extra work of the Z1. Also the upkeep with Z6 is easier than any other product I have used. I have some Z5(swirl mark hider) and don't really care for it. It seems oily and attracts dust. So in a nutshell IMHO just some Z1,Z2, and Z6 and you are good to go. If you want to do clay and all that other stuff, that is extra and you would have to do that with any other wax, it is not a Zaino specific process.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:50 PM
VetVetter
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: YOU SEE ... I'M NOT CRAZY ...I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

NXT works great on my LMB ... but this is what I have found with it:

You have to work hard to make sure it ALL comes off .... I finally purchased a buffer and work the removal thoroughly ...

When you first wipe it off it will look good - but then stand back and look at about a 30 degree angle in the shade and you will see what looks like oil-in-water swirls --- means more is still on ... continue to wipe or buff till it is all gone!

Before I realized this, I though it stunk ... seemed to last short time .. then realized I wasn't letting it set long enough nor completely removing it.

Just my experience!
Old 04-24-2005, 12:02 AM
TedG
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VetVetter
NXT works great on my LMB ... but this is what I have found with it:

You have to work hard to make sure it ALL comes off .... I finally purchased a buffer and work the removal thoroughly ...

When you first wipe it off it will look good - but then stand back and look at about a 30 degree angle in the shade and you will see what looks like oil-in-water swirls --- means more is still on ... continue to wipe or buff till it is all gone!

Before I realized this, I though it stunk ... seemed to last short time .. then realized I wasn't letting it set long enough nor completely removing it.

Just my experience!
I found the same thing you did, I rewiped it with a microfiber towel, and like I said it looked great. But 3 days later it looked terrible.
I really want NXT to work well, I bought the wax, the spray wax, and the spray detailer. Maybe I will wax the lawn mower tomorrow.

Get notified of new replies

To Wax: Meguiars NXT vs Zaino

Old 04-24-2005, 12:11 AM
VetVetter
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: YOU SEE ... I'M NOT CRAZY ...I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by TedG
I found the same thing you did, I rewiped it with a microfiber towel, and like I said it looked great. But 3 days later it looked terrible.
I really want NXT to work well, I bought the wax, the spray wax, and the spray detailer. Maybe I will wax the lawn mower tomorrow.

I know ... lol .. I have enough waxes and such to do the nieghborhood
Old 04-24-2005, 12:16 AM
Jbal
Drifting

Wow!!
Thanks to all who responded once again. I feel at this point I'll go with the NXT! I'm sure all you Zaino users are really pleased with the results & Congrats. I'll post some pics after the Meguiars application.
This forum, as always has just been wonderful.
Take Care All-Jerry
Old 04-24-2005, 12:35 AM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by TedG
.....maybe I'm just lucky. I have a mill yellow paint job and I have only waxed my 04 twice with NXT and it still looks brand new.....
Now, it is garage kept and not a daily driver and I use Meguires detail spray every weekend before taking her out. She's never been driven in any rain yet, so that does make a difference.
.... My buddy has a black C5 vert that he drives 80 miles to work and back about three times a week on average. His is also an 04 but he already has 11,000 miles on his. He uses Zanio and his car looks as good as new also. He does wax it about three times a month with all of the Zanio products but, you have to with black if you want to keep it looking showroom.....
IMO if you have the time and back to do it, use Zanio...it's the best.
If you keep your car clean and garaged, NXT a few times a year will be fine too.......

The key to this lock is to keep your car clean in-between....

Quick Reply: Wax: Meguiars NXT vs Zaino