Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Swirl remover for black paint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 04:43 PM
hz900
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Swirl remover for black paint?

Can anyone recommend a swirl remover for black paint.

Here's the story. I am a pretty competant weekend paint and body guy and just recently painted my '90 project black. I then sanded with 1500 grit and then used 3M fine buffing compound (said for scratches 1200 and finer) with a brand new wool pad on a varible speed buffer. I then changed to a brand new foam polishing pad and used a product called Finese polish. I have used this method before on many cars and it has always turned out pretty good, but I have never done a black car. I am having a problem getting the swirl marks completely out. Its not to bad just when the sun hits it is when it is pretty noticable. Any advice is welcome.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:01 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by hz900
Can anyone recommend a swirl remover for black paint.

Here's the story. I am a pretty competant weekend paint and body guy and just recently painted my '90 project black. I then sanded with 1500 grit and then used 3M fine buffing compound (said for scratches 1200 and finer) with a brand new wool pad on a varible speed buffer. I then changed to a brand new foam polishing pad and used a product called Finese polish. I have used this method before on many cars and it has always turned out pretty good, but I have never done a black car. I am having a problem getting the swirl marks completely out. Its not to bad just when the sun hits it is when it is pretty noticable. Any advice is welcome.
Is it swirls from your circular polisher you are seeing? You may want to follow up with a Porter Cable ROB to obtain a swirl free finish. Or either that I would try a different product like Menzerna FPII or 3m ssr 39009. I have also had good luck with 3m's 05730 Trizact machine polish. Your best bet is to pick up the orbital, black is tough. You can get the PC 7336 from lowes for 99 bucks and get some foam polishing/finishing pads and velcro backing plate from www.properautocare.com. If you really want it to look unbelievable you need to finish up with Zaino. I could not live without it with my black cars.
www.zainostore.com
If it is sanding marks you are still seeing you may want to go with 2000 or 3000 grit and then rebuff. You mentioned you are pretty competant so I am going to assume you are keeping your pad flat on the surface and keeping speed below 1200 rpm.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:07 PM
hz900
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by agentf1
Is it swirls from your circular polisher you are seeing? You may want to follow up with a Porter Cable ROB to obtain a swirl free finish. Or either that I would try a different product like Menzerna FPII or 3m ssr 39009. I have also had good luck with 3m's 05730 Trizact machine polish. Your best bet is to pick up the orbital, black is tough. You can get the PC 7336 from lowes for 99 bucks and get some foam polishing/finishing pads and velcro backing plate from www.properautocare.com. If you really want it to look unbelievable you need to finish up with Zaino. I could not live without it with my black cars.
www.zainostore.com
If it is sanding marks you are still seeing you may want to go with 2000 or 3000 grit and then rebuff. You mentioned you are pretty competant so I am going to assume you are keeping your pad flat on the surface and keeping speed below 1200 rpm.

Yeah its just swirl marks from the pad (circular). I didn't know if there were any products on the market to go behind the polisher with by hand. May try and find an orbital and try the finese again. Really don't feel like spending to much more money on the paint though, I've still got the motor to build, lol.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:57 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

If you handle the rotary correctly, you should be able to remove the swirls and not leave any additional. You may try a finishing pad with something like 3M SMR or a comparable polish.

Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Swirl remover for black paint?

Quick Reply: Swirl remover for black paint?