Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

First Zaino, major problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 01:35 AM
elmagoo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Zaino, major problem (long description)

OK, I was doing my first Zaino ritual today but a major problem seems to have arrisen that I'm not sure if it was by my doing, if it was something already on the car, or it's just the conditions that I'm looking under. The car has this milky haze on it that seems to be comprised of old water spots and many many fine swirls / scratches.

Here's the story:

- Washed the car with Liquid Dawn today (blue stuff, basic formula with no special stuff). 1oz (2 tblsp) per 2 gallons of water per instructions. I had to wash the car in the sun unfortunately, so hence it spotted over and dried quickly. I didn't think this was a big deal as the clay bar lubricant would clear these out.
- Parked the car in the garage to do the clay bar. Mixed 12oz water with 1/2 cap of Z7 wash into a spray bottle for the lubricant. Sprayed small areas with the lubricant, rubbing the clay back and forth over the area, always making sure the lubricant didn't dry. Then I would take a buffing micro fiber towl** and wipe the area down. Constantly kneeded the clay and picked out particles and such. I did seem to notice that as I clayed an area it seemed to become 'dull' or hazy as compared with the way it was before. I just figured this was the clay getting all of the previous 'crap' off the paint and clearcoat. The claybar did seem to be working as after doing an area I would see 'gunk' built up on the bar, thus I would pick stuff out and re-fold the bar and such for the next section.

** I bought all very high quality Sonus micro fiber towels from bettercarcare.com. Mainly the der wunder buffing towel, der wunder drying towel, and der wunder washing mit. They're recommended by pro detailers and I've been using them for a few weeks worth of washes with no additional scratching or swirling (other than what was on the car already). I take care of them as per instructions using Sonus wunder wash detergent.

- After 5 hours of claying the car (I took my time to make sure I did a good job and went over each area twice), I washed the car with Z7 in the shade (the sun set enough to cast a shadow on the side of the house over the driveway, perfect for washing the car). 1 cap Z7 with 1 gallon of water as per instructions. Washed the car top to bottom rinsing each section as I washed it, and rinsing out and flipping my wash mitt.
- Dried the car with my waffle weave drying towel. At the time I did not see any visible water spots or marks.
- Used my electric Toro Power Sweep to blow dry all the nooks and crannys. Made sure to wipe everything down and that no water spots were left.
- Put car back in the garage and mixed up my batch of Z5. 1oz of Z5 with 5 drops of ZFX into a mixing bottle, shaken for 60 seconds, then let sit for 5 minutes before using. I used the applicator pads that Zaino sells on their site for application. Sprayed a light mist of Z6 onto the pad, then a dime-sized dab of Z5. Spread evenly across the surface of the car, using front - back motions for horizontal surfaces, and up - down motions for vertical surfaces. I tried to apply as thin a coat as possible on an area, using less of the polish from the bottle as more polish had stayed built up on the applicator pad. I reversed the pad once half the car was done. Did the entire car and let it sit for 1 hour.
- Made sure the haze from the Z5 was dry by testing before buffing it out with a buffing towel.
- Applied a coat of Z6 spray as per directions (one spray on an area and wipe in until dry and slick).

Now here's the problem. There's a milky haze on the paint that can be seen and it's under the polish (meaning it looks like it's in the paint). This is mainly noticeable on the hood of the car, but it's also in other areas of the car as well. You can also see remnants of water spots, and a TON of fine swirl marks on the car. It almost looks like the milky haze is comprised of lots of water spotting and fine scratches. So hence:

1) This is under florescent lighting in the garage (the sun already went down when I was finishing up, so I couldn't check it in sunlight). Could the florescents be causing this 'effect' to be showing up easier and under sunlight it will go away? I remember seeing a similar effect when I first went to the dealership and saw a black C6 on their show-room floor at night under their florescents. It almost made me not buy the black, but once I saw the light outside under normal lights and sunlight I didn't notice this 'effect.'

2) I don't know if this has always been on the car, or if I just caused this to happen?? Could this be from improper clay bar treatment? Before I zaino'd the car, it was detailed by a detailer that comes to our garage at work. I noticed a lot of swirl marks (not the milky haze though) and hence why I got the Zaino and wanted to start cleaning the car myself. Before I could do the Zaino treatment, I was washing the car with Eagle One car wash followed up by Meguiars quick detailer spray. Could this have happened by those few months of the detailer and / or from my few weeks of washing with the Eagle One / Meguiars?

3) The Z5 didn't seem to do anything for the swirl marks or this milky haze? Did I mix it wrong? Did I apply it wrong? Or does it just take 2 - 3 coats for it to really start to cover up the swirls and fine scratches?

4) Is this bad damage to the paint that Zaino can't correct? Should I stop the process now and take it to a detailer to have all the milky haze and fine scratches completely buffed out? Then bring it back and do a Z7 wash followed up with coats of the polish?

I'm going to try and call the Zaino hot-line for some advice as well, but I wanted to post here to see what you all thought, and if any of you have had a similar experience. I'm not sure what I should do (meaning take it to a detailer now, or just keep going with some more Z5 and then Z2 and it'll get it out)? Any advice or help that you guys can offer would be excellent?

Last edited by elmagoo; 05-03-2005 at 02:21 AM.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:45 AM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...62&forum_id=10

Old 05-03-2005, 02:54 AM
elmagoo
Racer

I read that post earlier, but alas it's not the same problem . This isn't a haze that you can wipe off, it's under the polish. When you look at it, it appears to be comprised of massive water spotting and tons of fine scratches and swirls (it's hard to tell). But it does not wipe off at all as it seems to be embedded in the paint.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:44 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

5 hours claying is making me tired, Zaino has no cleaners or abrasives, and with products that have no abrasives paint prep is even more important. It sounds like from what you say that you need to spend some time with a bottle of 3M Scratch and Swirl Remove and a Porter Cable buffer to get your paint in good shape first, no matter what product you are using.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:18 AM
JOHN MOORE
Instructor

Originally Posted by elmagoo
OK, I was doing my first Zaino ritual today but a major problem seems to have arrisen that I'm not sure if it was by my doing, if it was something already on the car, or it's just the conditions that I'm looking under. The car has this milky haze on it that seems to be comprised of old water spots and many many fine swirls / scratches.

Here's the story:

- Washed the car with Liquid Dawn today (blue stuff, basic formula with no special stuff). 1oz (2 tblsp) per 2 gallons of water per instructions. I had to wash the car in the sun unfortunately, so hence it spotted over and dried quickly. I didn't think this was a big deal as the clay bar lubricant would clear these out.
- Parked the car in the garage to do the clay bar. Mixed 12oz water with 1/2 cap of Z7 wash into a spray bottle for the lubricant. Sprayed small areas with the lubricant, rubbing the clay back and forth over the area, always making sure the lubricant didn't dry. Then I would take a buffing micro fiber towl** and wipe the area down. Constantly kneeded the clay and picked out particles and such. I did seem to notice that as I clayed an area it seemed to become 'dull' or hazy as compared with the way it was before. I just figured this was the clay getting all of the previous 'crap' off the paint and clearcoat. The claybar did seem to be working as after doing an area I would see 'gunk' built up on the bar, thus I would pick stuff out and re-fold the bar and such for the next section.

** I bought all very high quality Sonus micro fiber towels from bettercarcare.com. Mainly the der wunder buffing towel, der wunder drying towel, and der wunder washing mit. They're recommended by pro detailers and I've been using them for a few weeks worth of washes with no additional scratching or swirling (other than what was on the car already). I take care of them as per instructions using Sonus wunder wash detergent.

- After 5 hours of claying the car (I took my time to make sure I did a good job and went over each area twice), I washed the car with Z7 in the shade (the sun set enough to cast a shadow on the side of the house over the driveway, perfect for washing the car). 1 cap Z7 with 1 gallon of water as per instructions. Washed the car top to bottom rinsing each section as I washed it, and rinsing out and flipping my wash mitt.
- Dried the car with my waffle weave drying towel. At the time I did not see any visible water spots or marks.
- Used my electric Toro Power Sweep to blow dry all the nooks and crannys. Made sure to wipe everything down and that no water spots were left.
- Put car back in the garage and mixed up my batch of Z5. 1oz of Z5 with 5 drops of ZFX into a mixing bottle, shaken for 60 seconds, then let sit for 5 minutes before using. I used the applicator pads that Zaino sells on their site for application. Sprayed a light mist of Z6 onto the pad, then a dime-sized dab of Z5. Spread evenly across the surface of the car, using front - back motions for horizontal surfaces, and up - down motions for vertical surfaces. I tried to apply as thin a coat as possible on an area, using less of the polish from the bottle as more polish had stayed built up on the applicator pad. I reversed the pad once half the car was done. Did the entire car and let it sit for 1 hour.
- Made sure the haze from the Z5 was dry by testing before buffing it out with a buffing towel.
- Applied a coat of Z6 spray as per directions (one spray on an area and wipe in until dry and slick).

Now here's the problem. There's a milky haze on the paint that can be seen and it's under the polish (meaning it looks like it's in the paint). This is mainly noticeable on the hood of the car, but it's also in other areas of the car as well. You can also see remnants of water spots, and a TON of fine swirl marks on the car. It almost looks like the milky haze is comprised of lots of water spotting and fine scratches. So hence:

1) This is under florescent lighting in the garage (the sun already went down when I was finishing up, so I couldn't check it in sunlight). Could the florescents be causing this 'effect' to be showing up easier and under sunlight it will go away? I remember seeing a similar effect when I first went to the dealership and saw a black C6 on their show-room floor at night under their florescents. It almost made me not buy the black, but once I saw the light outside under normal lights and sunlight I didn't notice this 'effect.'

2) I don't know if this has always been on the car, or if I just caused this to happen?? Could this be from improper clay bar treatment? Before I zaino'd the car, it was detailed by a detailer that comes to our garage at work. I noticed a lot of swirl marks (not the milky haze though) and hence why I got the Zaino and wanted to start cleaning the car myself. Before I could do the Zaino treatment, I was washing the car with Eagle One car wash followed up by Meguiars quick detailer spray. Could this have happened by those few months of the detailer and / or from my few weeks of washing with the Eagle One / Meguiars?

3) The Z5 didn't seem to do anything for the swirl marks or this milky haze? Did I mix it wrong? Did I apply it wrong? Or does it just take 2 - 3 coats for it to really start to cover up the swirls and fine scratches?

4) Is this bad damage to the paint that Zaino can't correct? Should I stop the process now and take it to a detailer to have all the milky haze and fine scratches completely buffed out? Then bring it back and do a Z7 wash followed up with coats of the polish?

I'm going to try and call the Zaino hot-line for some advice as well, but I wanted to post here to see what you all thought, and if any of you have had a similar experience. I'm not sure what I should do (meaning take it to a detailer now, or just keep going with some more Z5 and then Z2 and it'll get it out)? Any advice or help that you guys can offer would be excellent?

that was a thorough process...at this point, i'd have it buffed....
Old 05-03-2005, 09:00 AM
0Zaino Bros (Sal)
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-08-'09

Default I'm here to help...

Please give me a call and I'll gladly help you out.

(732)833-8800
Old 05-03-2005, 01:44 PM
elmagoo
Racer

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone .

Upon getting up this morning, I checked out the car in the sunlight. While the the haze was definitely not as noticeable when standing next to the car, if you bent down and gave a closer inspection you could still see it along with all the scratches. So hence I gave Mr. Zaino a call .

Let me say that Zaino has now just earned my business for life. Not only did he give me some good suggestions, he called up his Los Angeles distributor and gave me his number so I could meet up with him so he could inspect my car. Upon inspection the recommendation was to get and use the 3M swirl mark remover for dark colored cars. The LA distributor also gave me a bunch of good tips for cleaning the car in general.

I also posted over at bettercarcare.com under the 'ask Lynn' section and the info she gave me pretty much supports the same thing.

I'm more than happy to sing the praise of a great product. I'm total estatic about singing the praises of a great product with top quality support. So hence, I'll be a Zaino customer for life now. Even if I end up driving a beat up Pinto, it's getting the Zaino treatment.

I'm going to take some before / after pics as I go today, and then I'll try to get them posted so people can see the results. Thanks again Sal, Ira (I think I spelled Ira's name right?), and Lynn over at bettercarcare .
Old 05-03-2005, 08:57 PM
elmagoo
Racer

Another Update:

OK, I went and purchased both 3M rubbing compound: Fine Cut, and 3M swirl remover for dark cars. I tried both of these and neither of them worked. I even mixed some Dawn in a spray bottle, applied it to a small area to get rid of the Z5 polish, then applied some distilled vinegar (to try and get rid of the etched in water spotting), then washed it with some Z7 spray mix, then applied the rubbing compound, and then the swirl remover. While it made it slightly better, the etched in water spotting and fine scratches didn't budge. However it got there, it's caked on plenty good. I applied these products by hand as I don't have an orbital, nor do I trust myself with one for a job like this.

So hence I talked to both Sal and Ira again. The conclusion is to take it to a detailer so they can really buff those scratches out. I'm currently investigating some detailer options at the moment. I'll post up more results as they happen, and hopefully some pics after this is all wrapped up.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:30 PM
Akro
Instructor

I really hope it works out well. I was glad to hear that Sal Zaino was being helpful. Thanks for the detailed posts.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:54 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots of qualified detailers in California. Look on www.autopia.org for some in your area.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:43 AM
Z0SLIK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zaino Bros (Sal)

(732)833-8800
Great service!! That's why I am now A Zaino Maniac!!
Old 05-05-2005, 03:19 AM
elmagoo
Racer

OK, the best event that could have happened to me given my situation just did. My car is in wonderful condition now thanks to Lynn over at www.BetterCarCare.com. You can read the events of the day on this post of her forum, including some before and after pics (she has more to post soon, we took a ton of pics):

http://forum.bettercarcare.com/showt...=2415#post2415

She REALLY knows her stuff and helped me to get my car into awesome shape!! All the major scratches, hazing, swirls, water etching are gone now, only the deeper scratches remain (which there are way less of now). Plus that haze is completely gone without a trace!!! We used the Sonus restore system (the toughest polish followed up by the lightest while skipping the middle polish) and a DA to get everything great. We followed it up with a quick coat of Pinnacle wax to keep it protected for my trip home.

Now that the car is properly prepped, I can do the Zaino workout on it . Alas the weather forcast is rainy for the next few days, so the car will stay in the garage until I can get a chance to Zaino it. Once I do that I'll snap some more pics to show the completed car.

I can not say enough nice things nor give enough props to Lynn over at www.BetterCarCare.com !!!! She offered to help a complete stranger, invited me to her house (with her family), helped me with the work and also educated me and tutored me on the process (I did a little under half the car with the DA), provided the tools and materials, and also fed me and provided drinks!!!! All this while knowing that I am going to apply the Zaino system on it which she doesn't sell!! She's a wonderful person that runs a professional shop and is an expert at what she does. If you're looking for car care advise or products, go to her site and read up on the many great articles there and shop at the great store she has. You can also post questions directly to her on their forum and she'll get you the answers you need.

Lynn, Sal, and Ira have helped me greatly and provided me with great service and answers, thus I'll be giving them all as much of my business as I can, as well as recommending them to anybody else. If you need supplies, get them from www.BetterCarCare.com if you can as you'll be supporting a great business. Again I can not give her enough props for what she did for me today!!

Again keep an eye out over there for some more before and after pics, plus I'll put some more up myself once I get the car completely done.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:06 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Good Lord...I hope you've revised your maintenance techniques

Congrats on a new finish. Every who helped you are top notch people!
Old 05-05-2005, 01:54 PM
elmagoo
Racer

Lynn, nor Ira wasn't sure what could have caused that haze to be as embedded as it was. I thought I perhaps did it with the clay bar process, but both of them said it would be really hard for clay to cause that much damage. I also thought that maybe I used a bad applicator to apply the first coat of Z5 that I did, but again they said that even a dirty applicator wouldn't cause damage that severe. I even brought all of my towels and such over for Lynn to look at to see if I've mis-treated them. She checked them over and said that they're fine and shouldn't be scratching the car, especially to the degree that it was scratched.

The current conclusion is that it was probably the detailer that I was using for the past few months at my work. Either way, they gave me a lot of great info that I'll be applying to my future upkeep to try and make sure this doesn't happen again. Plus nobody but me will be detailing this car from now on .
Old 05-05-2005, 02:57 PM
Z Factor
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

(732)833-8800

Nice offer Sal.

Now when are you going to get a South Florida Rep?

Old 05-05-2005, 10:32 PM
Z0SLIK
Race Director

(732)833-8800
And thanks for KLO (Kevin) he was very helpful when I made the switch.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:13 PM
elmagoo
Racer

Alrighty then. Have the whole car finished with a ton of pics. I'm in the process of setting up an account with www.smugmug.com (which are a great hosting service for photo's if you're looking for one) so I can post up the images. Basically I took pics between each coat of polish to see the difference as it progressed. Total in the end was 3 coats of Z5 and one coat of Z2.

Many many many thanks for all the help in getting my car back to the way it should be. .

Get notified of new replies

To First Zaino, major problem

Quick Reply: First Zaino, major problem