Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

WTF...swirls on Black car

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 11:59 AM
finally01
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF...swirls on Black car

So i tried Klasse AIO and Glaze this past weekend. Looked good until I pulled it out into the sun yesterday and noticed the light swirls in it and a little "cloudy". Not for sure what I did wrong??? Follow the instructions and even went online to several places for tips...

did it in the garage and not in the sun but there was quite a bit of humidity that day...could that effect it???

I did the AIO in small does with a MF applicator pad
Glaze with a MF applicator pad and followed it all up with Pinnacle souv. paste wax....used buffing towel to remove the last 2 products. I did notice that even when I used just a little product it was hard to not apply it to thick in one area. I maybe used an ounce to an ounce and a half for both AIO and glaze...

ANY IDEAS?????? should I remove it all and start over and if so how???
Old 05-15-2005, 02:33 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Swirls aren't going to be removed without using a good paint polish.

AIO will remove light swirls when used with a buffer/polisher. AIO shouldn't require any more than an ounce to do a WHOLE Corvette (glass and wheels included). SG will haze if you don't allow it to properly dry/cure.

Did you apply Souveran directly after removing SG?

Did you use the WOWO (wipe-on, wipe-off) method with SG?
Old 05-15-2005, 02:51 PM
finally01
Intermediate

well there weren't swirls to begin with. I used a back and forth method to apply and remove (for the most part). I applied both the AIO and SG one section at a time and removed almost immediately. I applied the Souv. Wax about 2 hours after the SG. I don't think I used to much product I just found it difficult to spread it evenly and not have it get think in one area as I put it on.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:58 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

If the swirls weren't there before you started then you didn't see them or you induced them somewhere during the process (maybe towels?).

SG needs 12-24 hours to cure before adding another coat or topping with carnauba.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:10 PM
finally01
Intermediate

what would be remedy then for the two problems. All the towels I used were MF from AUTOPIA/AUTOGEEK...Concours buffing...etc

can i reapply the AIO to remove the carnuba and glaze and the allow for proper drying time. Also...the swirls are like spider webbing/paint "marring" what product would be good to remove those?

I'm a novice, if you can't tell, and was thinking of a buffer. Would that remedy some of the problem. I'm just afraid of messing the car up more with one...
Old 05-15-2005, 03:28 PM
VETFVER
Burning Brakes

Upon close inspection, I noticed my microfiber towels were putting scratches in the wax if not the clear coat. I have switched to Meguiar's Water Magnet Drying Towels, which are Waffle Weave towels under their own brand name. I just bought five more. They are 22 X 30 inches and run $9.95 as I recall. This towel has replaced every other towel in my garage including my lint free cotton towels for glass. I bought some from Bed, Bath, and Beyond but I like Meguiar's better.

Dan
Old 05-15-2005, 04:18 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

finally01 - you could buy a Porter Cable polisher, pads, and polishes and remove/reduce the actual paint marring or you could hire a professional to do it for you (I know several in your area).

I believe AIO should remove both the Souveran and the SG.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:35 PM
finally01
Intermediate

Zane-O...I thought about having someone do it but didn't know of anyone in my area. I've always been particular about my cars but this is my first black one and the swirls/marring is really bothering me. Could you PM me with some names. Maybe if I had it done right once then i could take care of it from then on out...
Old 05-15-2005, 06:36 PM
finally01
Intermediate

where could I find the Meguiars towels...are they available at a local store or just online?
Old 05-15-2005, 09:23 PM
elmagoo
Racer

I'm no expert, but here's what some experts have taught me, also some stuff that I've learned from my own experiences of owning / caring for a black car.

Is this car your daily driver? If the answer is yes, then you basically have two options: 1) You're going to have to go through a LOT of effort to keep the swirls / fine marring from not showing up on it being a black car. They're going to happen regardless of how careful you are, especially if it is a daily driver. Welcome to the joys of a black car . 2) Learn to live with them up to a point. Meaning realize that some swirls / scratches will always be there, and use products to subdue / hide the effect until they get to a point where you need to take action. Even so, you'll still see the fine swirls and scratches when you put your nose up to the car and shine a light on it (like the suns reflection, or halogen lights).

The swirls are actual micro-marring in the clearcoat, and to properly fix them you'll have to etch away a bit of the clearcoat in the surrounding area. If you constantly do this too much, you'll eventually wear off the clear coat and get to the paint, and then your SOL. Here's a good article about this:

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=57

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=15

Some reading to get you started about it .

Also consider how you're using your microfiber. It sounds like you bought some very high quality microfiber, which means that if it's scratching, it's most likely not the towel but your technique or process. Make sure you're turning the towels often, inspecting them for dirt build-up along the way. Also make sure you're using the proper towel for the job. Meaning if you're applying something like a quick detailer, use a towel with a thick nap which will catch loose dirt particles and suck them into the towel where they won't cause damage. If you're buffing use a towel with a short nap or waffle weave, and apply only light pressure (as in enough to get the job done).

Also with microfiber you have to take care of them. Meaning using a liquid detergent with no fabric softeners or bleach. Preferably something like Tide Free that has nothing in it at all. Wash them on warm / cold or cold / cold with a dual rinse cycle. Do not wash them with any other kind of material (meaning don't mix them with cotton for example). If you put them in the dryer use perm. press / low heat, and do not use fabric softener. Not taking care of the microfiber could result in them being able to scratch your cars. Also, after you've dried them keep them in a storage bin with a lid to keep dust and dirt away from them. Sonus has a special washing detergent just for microfibers that works great. You can get it from www.bettercarcare.com.

Regardless of the towel, if you press too hard you'll induce micro marring and swirl marks (it's not a microfiber only thing . If you find yourself applying lots of pressure to buff out the wax, stop. Try using less pressure and concentrate on very small sections (like a six inch square area) working over it to try and remove the product with smaller strokes. If it's still not coming off then I'd recommend using a quick-detailer spray or some distilled water in a spray bottle to assist in its removal. Basically you should never apply very hard pressure with any kind of towel. Also make sure the product is fully dry. If it's not, you could just be pushing the product around rather than wiping it off. Use your finger and do the swipe test (just wipe off some of the haze with your finger) to see if the product is dry. Do this across the car in various places to make sure the whole car is dry.

Some great places to read up are
www.autopia-carcare.com
www.bettercarcare.com
www.meguiarsonline.com.

Check their articles and forums. Best of luck .
Old 05-15-2005, 10:30 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Same thing happened to me with my 17 year old car I used Liquid Glass for 17 years

Originally Posted by finally01
So i tried Klasse AIO and Glaze this past weekend. Looked good until I pulled it out into the sun yesterday and noticed the light swirls in it and a little "cloudy". Not for sure what I did wrong??? Follow the instructions and even went online to several places for tips...

did it in the garage and not in the sun but there was quite a bit of humidity that day...could that effect it???

I did the AIO in small does with a MF applicator pad
Glaze with a MF applicator pad and followed it all up with Pinnacle souv. paste wax....used buffing towel to remove the last 2 products. I did notice that even when I used just a little product it was hard to not apply it to thick in one area. I maybe used an ounce to an ounce and a half for both AIO and glaze...

ANY IDEAS?????? should I remove it all and start over and if so how???
So there is a build up which is suggested by this manufacturer LG did a great job of removing scractches. You apply Liquid Glass then you let the car bake in the sun for 4 hours if no sun you let it cure for hours. The more you put on the better the shine (we have heard this before)
Now after 17 years I switched to Klasse AIO and the sealant it looks better than the liquid glass or should I say different
BUT now the swirls and scratches show. You are doomed if you do or doomed if you don't... no matter what it is almost impossible to avoid getting swirls.
I still have LG and I used it on my Corvette today to remove a difficult yellow scratch that was caused by a garbage can on the freeway
It took the scratch and yellow color right out though this is a Zaino car I still use Liquid Glass for the toughest scratches on a spot to spot basis. It works better than the Z-5 :
Old 05-16-2005, 03:37 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

If you're looking for professional help for prepping the surface, the first option I would try is Scott Hair - www.scottwax.com

Tell him Zane sent you and discuss with him what you are wanting.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:47 AM
finally01
Intermediate

It's not my daily driver but gets driven more than your typical garage queen. I've followed all the steps that you suggested on the MF towels. I think most of the problem comes from technique. Being a black car I know that is where the most attention to detail should come from. I'll give Scott a call and discuss with him what's going on and see what he suggest. Thanks again for your help...as always this forum is a great place for help and information.
thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To WTF...swirls on Black car

Quick Reply: WTF...swirls on Black car