Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

SS Letters - installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 01:37 AM
wilerty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS Letters - installation

I'm looking to get some SS letter inserts for the rear of my C5. I'm looking at these from West Coast Corvette for $69:

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/sho...ail.cfm?id=191

The installation instructions say the following:

" CLEAN SURFACE THOROUGHLY WITH SOAP & WATER. APPLY SUPPLIED SILICONE ADHESIVE TO THE BACKSIDE OF EACH LETTER 1 AT A TIME. APPLY ENOUGH FOR GOOD ADHESION BUT NOT TOO MUCH WHERE IT SEEPS AROUND THE EDGES. POSITION EACH LETTER IN ITS PLACE & USE TAPE TO HOLD IT INTO POSITION UNTIL ADHESIVE DRIES. IT WOULD BE BEST TO INSTALL IN THE EVENING & LET THEM SET OVERNIGHT BEFORE REMOVING THE TAPE.
WE HAVE FOUND THIS THE BEST & MOST EFFECTIVE WAY OF INSTALLING THESE LETTERS TO ENSURE THEY WILL STAY ON YOUR CAR FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME. TWO SIDED TAPE MAY NOT LAST & THROUGH DIFFERENT TEMPERATURE FLUCTUATIONS COULD EVENTUALLY LOOSE ITS HOLD. THE SUPPLIED SILICONE WILL NOT HARM YOUR PAINT SURFACE & IS REMOVEABLE."

I always thought they went on with double sided tape. Anyone done it this way or have a comment? It's also interesting that in the description of the product they say ... "Peel & stick."

Last edited by wilerty; 06-26-2005 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:10 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

mine were doublesided tape and have been on the back and front of the C5 for more than two years. Did a GP with WCC many moons ago. I would clean the area with alcohol before any silicone or tape to make sure it adhere's properly.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:32 AM
1FUNVTT
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Got mine from WCC about a year ago. Pretty simple installation. Just make sure the area is clean and use the alcohol provided to that surface area, before placing the letters on the car.

I think every C5's rear should look so good

Last edited by 1FUNVTT; 06-27-2005 at 12:50 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To SS Letters - installation

Quick Reply: SS Letters - installation