Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Minor Streaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 08:06 AM
Red98Vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor Streaking

I don't have a picture of it, but after my last wax job I noticed that there was some streaking. I unfortunately didn't use adequate light when I waxed the car and didn't notice it at the time.

Anyway, my vette has never been clayed, and I think it would really help the overall finish of the car to pull some of the impurities away from the paint.

My question is this: Do I have to wash the car a couple of times with Dawn or something to remove the existing wax? Or can I just clay right on top of the current job with the same results? I assume it would be IDEAL to wash it down a couple of times with the liquid soap first, but I thought I would ask. I am not that familiar with the claying process.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:15 AM
96LT4
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts
Former Moderator
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
CI3 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Let me guess....you use Zaino right. You put too much on.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:17 AM
CrashNBurN
Heel & Toe

What wax/polish are you using?

If Zaino, you should only have to dawn your car once before applying the products for the first time. If you have streaks from Zaino polish, I would use a damp towel and this should clear them up.

If you want to use a claybar I just use my Z-7 car wash and make sure the car is completely clean of contaminants before using the claybar. As a lubricant I dilute my carwash in a spray bottle and clay the area's I feel need to be clayed.

Last edited by CrashNBurN; 07-08-2005 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Red98Vette
Intermediate

First I washed it twice with liquid soap and used only microfiber towels to wash/dry.
Then I used Meguiar's ScratchX Liquid Tube and removed it
Finally Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax and removed it.

I just bought the Meguiar's NXT Generation Spray Wax and Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax. I haven't used either one yet.

I still think claying the car is a good idea.. Just want to know the best way to go about it.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:08 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

NXT would not have been my first choice, it does not last very long (2 weeks or 2 washes, whichever comes first) and it will stain your trim. First I would get some better products, most people on here use Zaino but there are others (almost anything) that work better than NXT such as Klasse, Menzerna, Pinnacle Souveran etc etc if you do not want to use Zaino.

There are some good directions on how to apply the Z on www.zainostore.com

Get notified of new replies

To Minor Streaking

Quick Reply: Minor Streaking