Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

ZAINO PROCESS - Help me get started!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 10:16 PM
oak3x
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZAINO PROCESS - Help me get started!

I'm planning to start the Zaino Process this weekend! I just need a little guidance with the first few steps. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Steps

1. Wash Car (do I use Z-7 or Dawn for the first step?)

2. Clay the Car (keep the paint wet by spritzing with a combo of car wash and water).

3. Rewash the Car (Z-7 or Dawn)

4. Apply Z-5 Polish

6. Z-6

7. Re-apply

My main questions are removing the old wax and the use of Dawn. Has anybody removed their existing was utilizing a chemical wax remover?

3M makes two products "General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner" and "Prep Solvent 70"

Thanks

Dave

Last edited by oak3x; 08-03-2005 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:46 PM
JCaravan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Dave, I recently completed my first experience with Zaino. For Step 1, I used Dawn, not Z-7. I think the purpose of using Dawn is that it will strip any wax that was on the car previously, where Z-7 does not strip the wax. Between the Dawn and the claybar in Step 2, this should strip any previous wax, and allow for a very clean surface to begin your application of Zaino. For step 3, I used Z-7.

I am not aware of the aliphatic hydrocarbon, so sorry I can't help there.

Also, you are probably already aware, but I mixed a couple of drops of ZFX with Z-5 and Z-6. This ensured that the coat would cure instantly, so that subsequent coats could be applied without waiting a certain number of hours.

As mentioned above, this was my first experience with Zaino. I just picked up my 2001 a couple of weeks ago, so this was my first detailing of the car. Overall, I am very pleased.

Have fun! Other than driving, I find detailing a great way to bond with my car. My wife thinks I am sick!

Jonathon
Old 08-02-2005, 11:52 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

A one time Dawn use won't hurt anything, but if I were you, I would:

Z7 Wash
Claybar
W/G Remover
Z7 Wash
Z5
Old 08-03-2005, 07:30 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by oak3x
I'm planning to start the Zaino Process this weekend! I just need a little guidance with the first few steps. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Steps

1. Wash Car (do I use Z-7 or Dawn for the first step?)

2. Clay the Car (keep the paint wet by spritzing with a combo of car wash and water).

3. Rewash the Car (Z-7 or Dawn)

4. Apply Z-5 Polish

6. Z-6

7. Re-apply

My main questions are removing the old wax and the use of Dawn. Has anybody removed their existing was utilizing a chemical Wax and Grease remover (aliphatic hydrocarbon). This Wax and Grease remover is recommended by my local auto retailer.

Thanks

Dave

You can use a wax remover product in place of the Dawn if you like, we tell customers to use Dawn due to the fact that many of the wax remover products need to be used in a well ventilated area due to their chemical makeup, and a one time Dawn wash is usually less harmful to your cars finish.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:16 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

If you finish is not already perfect I recommend using Zaino Fusion (ZPC) first instead of the Dawn wash. This will remove any fine scratches and swirls as well as remove old wax leaving you with a perfectly prepped surface ready to accept Zaino.
I think the #1 mistake alot of Zaino users make is not doing proper prep work before applying Zaino. Next thing you know they are posing about how some crappy cleaner wax made their car look better than Zaino.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:26 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

definitely.
ANY wax will look great on top of healthy, perfectly smooth polished paint.
preparation is everything. Don't skimp on the clay, removal of swirlmarks, and polish FIRST, before you apply any sealant, Zaino or otherwise.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:45 AM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

i too wonder about zaino. i keep reading these reports and getting more confused. product seems to range from z-1 to z-101. one report says it is fast and easy,the next says it is difficult. everyone seems to have their favorite z-number products and their own order for using them. isn't there a simple and correct explaination? is it extremely difficult? why isn't there a consense opinion of method? i am glad i can't figure out what to buy because i probably would have had a seizure trying to figure out the correct way to use it. bc
Old 08-04-2005, 10:26 AM
Kevin V
Pro

Zaino is VERY simple. Yes they have a range of products like every other major product line. Don't think of it in terms of a bunch of Z's, it is claybar, car wash, polish (well, synthetic polymer sealant), an accelerator additive (no one else has this), detail spray, etc. It isn't rocket science.

Wash, dry, apply, let dry, remove, detail, done.

Zaino is VERY easy to apply and remove.

The vast majority of people who say Zaino is too much work or too hard, have never used it.

I tried Zaino before it was on any message boards and it had to prove itself to me and has done so over and over. I prefer to find out for myself. I tried dozens of products for 30 years.

The only "work" involved is prep, which has NOTHING to do with Zaino. If you want the optimim results, regardless of the product you plan to use, then prep the car.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:42 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcypress
i too wonder about zaino. i keep reading these reports and getting more confused. product seems to range from z-1 to z-101. one report says it is fast and easy,the next says it is difficult. everyone seems to have their favorite z-number products and their own order for using them. isn't there a simple and correct explaination? is it extremely difficult? why isn't there a consense opinion of method? i am glad i can't figure out what to buy because i probably would have had a seizure trying to figure out the correct way to use it. bc
Zaino has no more products than any other manufacturer out there...in fact, much less.

It's the exact same process as anything else:

Wash - Z7
Claybar - Z18
Wash - Z7
Polish as necessary - Z-PC Fusion
Seal - Z2 Pro or Z5 (add 4 drops of ZFX)

For maintenance, you can use the quick detailer Z6 or the spray sealant Z8.

You can apply as few or as many coats as you'd like. Simple as that.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

Originally Posted by bigcypress
Just call Zaino at 732-833-8800. I would read about their products first at their website to get a background as to what each product is made for. I find the products to be straight forward, not complicated at all.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with all these folks, Zaino products are the easiest to use IMO. I first read about them in the Ecklers catalog and started there and the website. But after a year of using and then asking questions here I found out I was using WAY too much. It only takes with ZFX accellerant 1/2-1 oz for the whole vehicle. Amazing as I never thought it could be done. I also spoke further with Sal Zaino and he help me understand even more on proper use, if all you remember is use as little of product as you can. If you can stand back 5 ft after applying it and you can barely tell anything is on the finish then you have it right. It's hard to break old waxing habits of applying a lot of material. Plus if its a dark color I recommend using back and forth motions when applying and removing to avoid invoking any swirl marks (that you can do with any product).

Get notified of new replies

To ZAINO PROCESS - Help me get started!

Quick Reply: ZAINO PROCESS - Help me get started!