Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

The Microfiber Towel Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 12:24 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Default The Microfiber Towel Review

I’ve had the opportunity to use a variety of microfiber towels from several different online retailers and wanted to share some feedback on those. Testing was conducted on towels from Fiber Works, Autofiber, and Ultra Microfiber.

*All towels were washed in MicroRestore detergent before use, and all towels were tested together to get accurate comparisons.*

Fiber Works ( www.fiber-works.com )

I received these towels in a timely fashion. They were packaged very well. Customer service seems top notch.

Extra Plush Towel - $4.25

This towel seems well constructed and has held up wonderfully so far. It is very plush on both sides, and I have not noticed any marring. I tested this towel for wax/sealant removal and quick detailing qualities/attributes. With different nap on each side, this towel is nice to use for wax/sealant removal. It gives the ability to use the short nap side for easy removal, and then by flipping the towel, the longer nap allows for a good final buff. This towel is very similar to the Pak Shak Ultra Plush. I don’t have any complaints about this towel.

Plush Towel - $4.00

This towel seems well constructed and had held up very well so far. This is a very fine towel with a short nap. I tested it with wax removal and QD duties. It performed both well, but I prefer it more of QD duties. I love the feel of this towel. It is very similar to Pak Shak’s Ultra Fine towel. No complaints at this time.

Ultra Fine Silk Edge Towel - $4.25 & Ultra Fine Edgeless Towel - $4.00

This towel seems well constructed and has held up wonderfully so far. As the name states, it is a fine towel with a very soft silk border, and it has not produced any marring. I tested this towel for wax/sealant and polish removal. This towel works well, making removal quick easy. For any areas that wax or polish is too thick it just takes a few passes to effectively remove. I needed only one towel to make my way all the way around the vehicle, removing the wax. My only complaint about this towel is that the dark green color bled pretty badly in the first wash, but that’s mainly my fault for washing all the different colors together.

The edgeless towel was tested and performed identically to the silk edge towel. Only difference is the border.

Waffle Weave Glass Towel - $4.00

This towel seems constructed and has held up wonderfully so far. This towel was a bit rougher than I was expecting, but considering its glass designation, I felt comfortable using it. This towel works well by spraying glass cleaner directly on it and by spraying the cleaner directly on the glass. It left a clean and streak-free finish. My complaint about this towel is its size. I would like to see it a few inches larger in each direction. The small size lent to glass cleaner saturation at times.

Waffle Weave Drying Towel (Small) - $7.50

This towel seems constructed and has held up wonderfully so far. This towel is very plush and hasn’t produced any marring. The towel is very absorbent (very comparable to the Pak Shak WW). Being the smaller sized WW, I found it a bit inadequate for a full vehicle, but they do offer the larger size, so it would make a great secondary towel. No other complaints past the size.

Microfiber Applicator - $2.50

This is a well constructed applicator and has held up wonderfully so far. I was a little surprised by this applicator. I normally don’t care for MF applicators; they’re usually to “grabby” for my tastes. This one is quite different. It has a different weave and nap making it easier to work with, IMO. It is easy to prime and doesn’t seem to waste much product. It is pretty easy to get a thin, even coat with this applicator. No complaints right now.

Microfiber Dry Mitt - $5.25

I used this on a few different car interiors in conjunction with Meguiar’s Interior Quick Detailer. It is quite plush and works pretty well, but due to its size and nature, it’s a little difficult to get into certain areas. I think I’ll probably stay with a normal MF towel for this type of work. Nothing necessarily wrong with the product, it’s just a personal preference thing.

Ultra Microfiber ( www.ultramicrofiber.com )

These towels were well packaged, and I received them quickly. Great customer service.

Chamois Towel - $7.00

This seems like a well constructed towel and has held up very well. This towel is referred to as a chamois, but I did not test it as a drying towel. I felt it was much better suited for QD purposes and final buffing. The long, plush nap on one side of this towel is a bit different than most plush towels that I’ve used, but it has quickly become one of my favorite QD towels. It quickly and easily buffs off QD and leaves a great finish. The short nap side works equally well for wax removal. No complaints at all for this towel.

I also received some smaller white waffle weaves that he is testing, but they aren’t listed or for sale currently, so I won’t say much about them other than they work well and are very soft.

Autofiber ( www.autofiber.com )

More nice packaging, timely shipping, and great customer service.

Pro Detailing/Ultra Towel - ~ $1.79

This towel seems to be well constructed and has held up well so far. This seems like a good all purpose towel. It’s pretty plush and is pretty versatile, from wheels, to windows, to polish removal, to QD. This is another towel with different nap on each side. No real complaints for this one.

I also received a foam-core waffle weave to test. It is a very thick waffle weave and quite different from any I’m used to, but it hasn’t been released yet, so I will not comment at this time.

MicroRestore Detergent

I have used Pinnacle Rejuvenator and Pak Shak’s MF detergent, and so far MicroRestore is my favorite microfiber detergent. They are all very similar in performance, but the scent and final finish of the MicroRestore seems slightly better, IMO.

*Each retailer also sent me their respective versions of MF wash mitts, but I do not like to use these on my paint, so I am not going to review them.*

Overall, each retailer has nice towels, with no more than a few minimal complaints about any. I received very good customer service, and they all seem like pretty good values. Fiber-Works seems to have the best overall variety. Their variety and quality are very similar to Pak Shak’s (which has been my favorite and benchmark). I think the Ultra Microfiber Chamois has to be my favorite overall QD towel.

I hope this has been thorough, and if there are any questions, please let me know.

EDIT: The above are the towels that I have tested most recently. I don't want anyone to forget about the many other great MF retailers:

www.dftowel.com
www.pakshak.com
www.autopia-carcare.com
www.detailersparadise.com
www.exceldetail.com

etc.

Last edited by ZaneO; 08-19-2005 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:54 PM
FIDOauto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zane... is your Girlfriend wrapped in Microfiber too?? lol... jokes..

great review.... slow days at the shop?? *big grin*
Old 08-19-2005, 01:25 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Testing products is a big part of the job (even though I only do it part-time). Just have more than I can handle right now...still have 4 different waxes/sealants to do testing on, along with other types of products.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:32 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks ZaneO for the info and review, practical information as always
Jon
Old 08-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

THanks for the info. It was most informative.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:21 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent -- thank you Zane.
I've wised up and seen that my current towels (many of which are NOT the cheapy walmart ones, and were supposed to be higher quality) are causing lots of cobwebbing and scratching.

Have to reassess the whole MF thing, and I may just blow it off and go back to pure cotton, except for the waffle weave for drying. But your post came in a nick of time. I know I can trust you, so before just giving up on MF altogether, I'll try the PakShack towels. I already like the DF towels for wax removal -- they're the only ones in my collection that I am convinced canNOT cause scratching.

Thanks again ! I'll give PakShak a try.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:57 AM
GTScott
Instructor

Awesome review...this is exactly what I needed at exactly the right time. I am restocking my collection and getting rid of the Costco towels. thank you so much for spending the time to write up your results.

-GT
Old 08-21-2005, 02:57 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default What's wrong with the Costco MF Towels?

Originally Posted by GTScott
Awesome review...this is exactly what I needed at exactly the right time. I am restocking my collection and getting rid of the Costco towels. thank you so much for spending the time to write up your results.

-GT
You get 20 16 X 16 Towels for $8.99
Old 08-21-2005, 02:59 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default Hi Zane(O)

It seems the Pak Shak MF Towels have the best MF Towels and come highly recommended by many here. Are they better than the Fiberworks.com MF Towels?

Last edited by LS WON; 08-21-2005 at 03:03 AM.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:24 AM
oak3x
Burning Brakes

As always, thank you Zane for another great review !!!
Old 08-21-2005, 08:39 AM
TJsToy
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In 3, 5, 8-9 Veteran

Thanks for the information....

It helps make decisions prior to buying...
Old 08-21-2005, 10:54 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LS WON
It seems the Pak Shak MF Towels have the best MF Towels and come highly recommended by many here. Are they better than the Fiberworks.com MF Towels?
Pak Shak towels and Fiber-Works towels are very similar in quality and performance. Both are great to have.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:21 PM
brzman
Pro

hey zane, i good review of the mf towels, was wondering if you might no if any of these would be represented at carlisle this weekend ?

thanks
Old 08-21-2005, 01:58 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by brzman
hey zane, i good review of the mf towels, was wondering if you might no if any of these would be represented at carlisle this weekend ?

thanks
DF Concours Towels may be there (at least through a distributor), but I can pretty much guarantee none of the others will be.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:57 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default Thanks for the info but at this time I can only purchase from one or the other..

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Pak Shak towels and Fiber-Works towels are very similar in quality and performance. Both are great to have.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:32 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Thanks For Info.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:44 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

what about the brand Vroom Microfiber towels from Target..I have used them and they seem to hold up well,, has anyone else used these or are they crap too?
Old 08-22-2005, 04:15 PM
0Zaino Bros (Sal)
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-08-'09

Very well written review... well thought out and executed.

But then again I wouldn't expect anything other from ZaneO

Great job..

Get notified of new replies

To The Microfiber Towel Review

Quick Reply: The Microfiber Towel Review