Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Leaving Zaino…. Substitute recommendations requested.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 10:24 PM
sumapathi
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Leaving Zaino…. Substitute recommendations requested.

I have been using the Zaino product line since I bought the car about 4 months ago, I must say it is not a bad product; it does the job, but I think it is a little over-rated, the shipping, cost of the product and the work required to apply the product I feel returns less benefit than the cost incurred.

Please do not flame me on the benefits of Zaino, my request is that fellow members suggest other products I can buy in the local market, for example I saw a quick detailer spray by Maguire’s at Wal-Mart only $4.88, one of the Zaino products I use the most is the Zaino Z6 Ultra Gloss Spray, After I wash my car, the Victory Red color has a dull look to it once I dry it off, so I hit it with some Z6 and wipe clean, the car gets a deep newly waxed shine, I love this look on my car, I am looking for a replacement to this Z6 Spray, has anyone used the Maguire’s Quick Detailer Spray to make a newly washed car shine, any other recommendations would be helpful.

The stuff I use the most is a quick detailer spray I can use on the car as soon as I have washed and dried it off, a window cleaner (I am using NXT window cleaner which works very well), something to clean my wheels, I just bought but have not used yet Turtle Wax Wheel Cleaner only $2.88 at Wal-Mart, I use Maguire’s hot tire shine on my tires to give it the wet look and am quite happy with it. Let me know what you think guys.

-Shiv
Old 08-27-2005, 10:48 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

As for QD, look for Mother's Showtime QD. Meguiar's Quick Detailer is alright and a local paint and body supply store might carry Meguiar's Final Inspection #34 in gallon sizes.

I maintain my wheels/tires with regular car wash soap (occassionly w/ Eagle One A2Z/All Wheel Cleaner).

I like these products, but you *might* realize how much you appreciate the Zaino products if you compare them directly.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:52 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

we carry many different lines, at many different price points. We hope you will visit and consider using us (if you decide internet ordering is just as fast as visiting local stores). We offer a forum discount with addtl 10% off most items (no vacs, or buffers). There are many great lines available www.autogeek.net

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 08-28-2005 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:12 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
we carry many different lines, at many different price points. We hope you will visit and consider using us. We offer a forum discount with addtl 10% off most items (no vacs, or buffers). There are many great lines available www.autogeek.net
Doesn't sound local to me
Old 08-27-2005, 11:47 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

you might want to just go full Meguiars.
I really love their stuff. There are so many ways you can use their products, and don't have to spend much $$$. You'll find them all at Walmart, Kmart, NAPA, and AutoZone.

For a somewhat intense regimen, especially for the first time, you might try this:
  • wash with NXT car wash
  • dry
  • clay (Meguiars or other)
  • Meguiars #7 show car glaze
  • Then Meguiar's #26 carnauba

I'm sure you'll LOVE the deep wet look you'll see -- really fantastic. The only disadvantage is that you have to be careful with your trim - the #26 will stain your trim badly.

You can also do
  • wash
  • dry
  • clay
  • #7 show car glaze optional
  • NXT

my sig pic was just from using NXT after imperial hand glaze (3M), a pretty good result. Have fun experimenting!

Last edited by bugman; 08-28-2005 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:56 PM
VETFVER
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May I put a plug in for Mothers Reflections? It's available at Pep Boys for about 20 bucks. If an additional $7 is not to much, try Glare Professional Polish. Makes the car look like it is covered in a sheet of glass and is also GREAT on glass. You can order it here http://www.parkeryamaha.com/index.as...D&ProdID=29301

VETFVER
Old 08-28-2005, 12:39 AM
mhaber
Racer

I've switched from Zaino to Mother's Reflections, the car wax, followed by top coat. I think the tire shine that goes with this line is the best.

http://www.mothers.com/products/
Old 08-28-2005, 12:58 AM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're going to quit using Zaino and you're admitting it here on Zaino central????

You're my hero....
Old 08-28-2005, 12:59 AM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bugman
For a somewhat intense regimen, especially for the first time, you might try this:
  • wash with NXT car wash
  • dry

!

You can pick those up at local autostore.

Old 08-28-2005, 02:21 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Mr. Clean Autodry. Or Klasse AIO with the Klasse sealant

Mr. Clean Autodry System works well . You don't have to dry your car off because there will be no water spots. This is the easy thing to do.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:37 AM
02 WS6 Babe
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by bugman
you might want to just go full Meguiars.
I really love their stuff. There are so many ways you can use their products, and don't have to spend much $$$. You'll find them all at Walmart, Kmart, NAPA, and AutoZone.

• wash with NXT car wash
  • dry

I'm sure you'll LOVE the deep wet look you'll see -- really fantastic. The only disadvantage is that you have to be careful with your trim - the #26 will stain your trim badly.

You can also do
  • wash
  • dry
  • clay
  • #7 show car glaze optional
  • NXT

my sig pic was just from using NXT after imperial hand glaze (3M), a pretty good result. Have fun experimenting!
Wow Sounds like you follow the same order I do when I detail!

That's pretty much exactly what I have on my shelves out in the garage.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:28 AM
C5naples
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaBoz
You're going to quit using Zaino and you're admitting it here on Zaino central????

You're my hero....

Old 08-28-2005, 07:50 AM
yankees1
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sumapathi
I have been using the Zaino product line since I bought the car about 4 months ago, I must say it is not a bad product; it does the job, but I think it is a little over-rated, the shipping, cost of the product and the work required to apply the product I feel returns less benefit than the cost incurred.

Please do not flame me on the benefits of Zaino, my request is that fellow members suggest other products I can buy in the local market, for example I saw a quick detailer spray by Maguire’s at Wal-Mart only $4.88, one of the Zaino products I use the most is the Zaino Z6 Ultra Gloss Spray, After I wash my car, the Victory Red color has a dull look to it once I dry it off, so I hit it with some Z6 and wipe clean, the car gets a deep newly waxed shine, I love this look on my car, I am looking for a replacement to this Z6 Spray, has anyone used the Maguire’s Quick Detailer Spray to make a newly washed car shine, any other recommendations would be helpful.

The stuff I use the most is a quick detailer spray I can use on the car as soon as I have washed and dried it off, a window cleaner (I am using NXT window cleaner which works very well), something to clean my wheels, I just bought but have not used yet Turtle Wax Wheel Cleaner only $2.88 at Wal-Mart, I use Maguire’s hot tire shine on my tires to give it the wet look and am quite happy with it. Let me know what you think guys.

-Shiv
I have tried many QD's and I like Griots the best! It is also the least expensive if you buy in the gallon container. I have tried and do not like Maguires QD. I do like Maguires NXT car wash solution however.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:22 PM
black bart
Drifting

Originally Posted by DaBoz

You're my hero....
Yep the man has ***** to post that here.

Check your local parts store like napa or car quest
I bought a gallon of #80 last week for $ 27:00 at internet detailing sites it is $29:95 + 10 or 15 bucks shipping

I buy the Meguiar"s QD by the gallon also. Lot cheaper that way.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:14 PM
GTScott
Instructor

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
we carry many different lines, at many different price points. We hope you will visit and consider using us (if you decide internet ordering is just as fast as visiting local stores). We offer a forum discount with addtl 10% off most items (no vacs, or buffers). There are many great lines available www.autogeek.net
After going through the Geek's website, I have decided to try a few of their lines. I am currently on Poor Boy's World stuff and LOVE it. This afternoon I though some EX Sealant with Carnuba on my SUV in the blazing sun and it went on perfectly. If you are looking for something to try, you might want to start with the PB line. I am incredibly happy with it. And yes, I have tried Zaino as well.

I know they are not local, but I have found their shipping to be fast and the CF discount does not hurt either.

-GT

Last edited by GTScott; 08-28-2005 at 03:15 PM. Reason: fogot discount info
Old 08-29-2005, 10:06 AM
FIDOauto
Pro

GLARE Spider and

GLARE Professional Polish

I gurantee satisfaction. You will not use anything else.

www.autopolish.net
Old 08-29-2005, 11:04 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

You usually get what you pay for... The one product I would not get is Meguiars NXT as it only last 2 weeks or 2 washes, whichever comes first, is loaded with silicone oils and will stain your trim.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaving Zaino…. Substitute recommendations requested.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:35 PM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by ZaneO
As for QD, look for Mother's Showtime QD. Meguiar's Quick Detailer is alright and a local paint and body supply store might carry Meguiar's Final Inspection #34 in gallon sizes.

I maintain my wheels/tires with regular car wash soap (occassionly w/ Eagle One A2Z/All Wheel Cleaner).

I like these products, but you *might* realize how much you appreciate the Zaino products if you compare them directly.
Very professional and well said. I use Zaino polishes, but I use meguires final touch for quick detail, I got 5 gallons for 40 bucks.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:04 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by screw991le
Very professional and well said.
Thanks. I have no reason not to recommend lots of different products. I have used and continue to use a lot of different products...OTC, boutique, etc. I'm actually trying to get more experience with normal OTC products...I'm interested in knowing what I like and can recommend.

Old 08-29-2005, 07:40 PM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

noone ever mentions 'eagle one' products which i used and liked. recently i've tried other things to see if there was something better that i was missing by not trying them. for example,someone recommended nxt car wash and i tried it and really liked it. more suggestions are welcome like maybe a quick detailer to replace 'eagle one wipe and shine'[which i like].

Quick Reply: Leaving Zaino…. Substitute recommendations requested.