Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

SPLAT! Bug Gut Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 03:19 PM
greenshirt77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPLAT! Bug Gut Removal

I've tried several methods over the years. Some work better than others.
This forum being a wealth of great ideas and advice, I figured I'd check and see if anyone has any tried and true methods to removal of bug splatter with minimal chance of putting scratches in the clear.
Let's hear 'em. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:14 PM
DeepBlueC
Instructor

First make sure you keep a good coat of wax on the front end. Next I would hit the front and mirrors with some detailer before heading out to make sure the front stays slick.

I also use Rejex on the front. It is a sealant that is very slippery. I find I can easily wipe the bug splatters off with just a MF misted with some detail spray when I do these things.

If you are still having trouble I would soak them. You can just use water or detail spray. Don't rub them as it could scratch. Soak them until they begin to disinegrate. The same holds true for bird droppings.

We have love bugs here in FL. I try to avoid driving the Vette during the hours they are out but I keep a fresh coat of wax and hit it with detailer and I have not had much trouble.

Good luck.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:38 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Rejex on my cars. Wipe with damp towel and the bug guts are gone.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:53 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default [b]Removing Bug Residue[/b]

Bug Residue:
Dried bug remains are both abrasive and acidic (pH 3.0-4.0) and can scratch paint or glass surfaces, many times the acids will "cloud" or "etch" surfaces as they contain highly acidic concentrates, and should be carefully removed as soon as possible They produce what acts like a super-adhesive on impact (especially when heated or when they have remained on the vehicle surface for any amount of time) you almost need a crowbar to separate these substances from the paint, windshield, headlights or front end of your car.

Do not scrub hardened/dried bug residue as it is very abrasive and will scratch the paint surface, once they are softened (re-liquefied) it enables their removal with less likelihood of damage to the paint surface

Using an IPA (isopropyl alcohol) or a non-ammonia based type glass cleaner, (ammonia acts as an acid accelerant) or a gel alcohol hand cleaner (Purell®) place a small amount onto the immediate area, let dwell for about for 2-3 minutes or so and then either remove with a Pinnacle Bug Sponge (autogeek.net) or use detailers clay to encapsulate it, and flush with water to rinse away and wipe dry. Pre-soak heavy bug contamination with
IPA soaked towel(s) and let dwell for 4-5 minutes before removing.

Avoid using a QD spray to flush residue, as they contain carnauba wax, which will seal the acid and not allow it to dissipate. Using an alkaline rinse of baking soda and water (to neutralize the acid) as soon as is practical is highly recommended, if the affected paintwork is not neutralized any remaining acid residue will be reactivated each time it comes into contact with water.

If the affected paintwork is not neutralized any remaining acid residue will be reactivated each time it comes into contact with water. Water contains 2- hydrogen and 1-oxygen atom and will acts as a catalyst and a carrier system for acid. Oxygen is an oxidizer; ozone is an allotropic form of oxygen (an oxidizer is any component that emits oxygen); many chemical compounds react to slight heating and an oxidizing process. Ad water (dew, rain, car washing etc) so now you have an acid + water +oxygen + ozone all of which equates to a highly concentrated acidic solution, which causes a concave indentation (acid etching) to the paint surface.

This should be neutralized by using an appropriate product (Automotive International, A B C Decontamination/Neutralization wash system (http://www.autoint.com). If the paint or glass surface has been etched the surface can be levelled with a suitable polish and then apply a paint protection.
JonM
Old 09-28-2005, 03:46 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default I just use Meguire's bug n tar remover wipes

You can carry them in your car and its easily disposable.
I also carry Z-6 in one car with microfiber towel and Sonus QD and microfiber towel in another car. But the towels from Meguire's are less messy and a easy fix.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Chicago
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Get a towel. Soak it in the hottest water you can tolerate. Drape it over the front of the car for one minute. Remove towel. Wipe off bugs with a microfiber.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:42 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-bug-squash.html
Old 09-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

RejeX used here. I carry a windex bottle filled with water with me. Bird crap, bug guts, no problem. Blast them with the water, and they are history.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:55 PM
mike348
Burning Brakes

I use Shout. disolves guts and blood in 10 min.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:53 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

WD40 on a microfiber towel. It also works great for removing tar, grease, etc.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:15 PM
vermjpv
Now a CTS-V Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 5-6-7 & 9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
WD40 on a microfiber towel. It also works great for removing tar, grease, etc.
I've heard this from a friend of mine, but I have never tried it.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:09 AM
justplainjim
Drifting

Received 355 Likes on 220 Posts

Hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. Been using it for years. $1 a bottle at the Dollar Store.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:04 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Duragloss 471.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:08 PM
got2hav1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,041 Likes on 592 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods)

Originally Posted by dvilin
Duragloss 471.

The best stuff ever for bug removal. Will clean it right off. Tough baked on stuff might need a minute to soak in before trying to remove it. I have tried lots of stuff, but nothing works as good as DG 471.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:47 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago
Get a towel. Soak it in the hottest water you can tolerate. Drape it over the front of the car for one minute. Remove towel. Wipe off bugs with a microfiber.
This is similar to what I do minus the hot water. I just soak a couple microfiber towels and lay them on the effected areas for a minute or two. I come back and hit it with some detail spray (Z6 for me but any will work) and a microfiber and they slide right off. I can just hit the are with Z6 and a towel but sometimes there is a little bit left so I rather soak them a little and it all comes right off.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:11 PM
AttyVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by greenshirt77
I've tried several methods over the years. Some work better than others.
This forum being a wealth of great ideas and advice, I figured I'd check and see if anyone has any tried and true methods to removal of bug splatter with minimal chance of putting scratches in the clear.
Let's hear 'em. Thanks.
Use regular dryer sheets and of course, wet them beforee you wipe down the front of your car with them. Afterwards, rinse off the front of your car and the bugs will wash right off (and the paint isn't harmed on your car either). My brother in law owned an ambulance company (years ago) and this is how they cleaned the bugs off the front of the ambulances. He told us about using these dryer sheets.. I tried it, it works great, isn't costly and the paint hasn't been damaged on any of our vehicles after I have used the dryer sheets on either.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:42 AM
kratzerap
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use used fabric softener sheets. Wet one and rub it in a stream of water from a garden hose.

Get notified of new replies

To SPLAT! Bug Gut Removal

Old 07-17-2016, 10:02 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Fabric Softener sheets would not be my choice, they feel abrasive and not sure what that "could" do to paint.

Poorboys has released a "Bug Towel" made of MF just for the task. Perhaps a better choice for rubbing .. and best part it still can be used with Bug Squash as wanted.

http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-mes...icrofiber.html
Old 07-17-2016, 01:59 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

As you know the key is getting them off asap.
I always spray them down with Waterless Wash and let them soak a bit before I do my two bucket wash, and when washing I always do the front bumper cover last so I am not rubbing the bug guts into the rest of my paint.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...-car-wash.html
Old 08-17-2016, 10:17 PM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

I had a friend that had a lot of bugs on his C6 so he used the scrub soap pad for dishes - was excited how easy the bugs came off - when he dried the car the front was all scratched up - he then had to put a front bra on the car full time to hide the scratches. LOL we never let him live that down.

Quick Reply: SPLAT! Bug Gut Removal