Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Question using 0000 Steel Wool vs. 2000 Wet Sandpaper

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 02:48 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Question using 0000 Steel Wool vs. 2000 Wet Sandpaper

Ok, so some of you have seen my project cleaning the clear coat on my beater...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...70&forum_id=10

So I was wondering after I used the 2000 wet sandpaper if using 0000 Steel Wool with water would polish it faster before going to my polishing compound..

So I put a wad of the steel wool under my sanding block, sprayed it with water and went over it a for a fer minutes.. I only did vertical strokes..... What I ended up with was a surface that actually was somewhat reflective.... I could almost make out my face.. The sanded side had zero reflectivity..

Also it seems that I get that polished look as long as I olny use vertical strokes...

So my big question... can I assume that if I am getting a reflective surface from the 0000 steel wool.. that is actually less course than 2000 grit sandpaper??

I am hoping that if the 0000 is naturally the next level it will make my polishing with my Porter Cable even easier..
Old 10-18-2005, 02:53 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I never used 0000 on my paint. I use it all the time on aluminum, I dip it in mothers billet and it will bring it up like chrome.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:26 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Originally Posted by agentf1
I never used 0000 on my paint. I use it all the time on aluminum, I dip it in mothers billet and it will bring it up like chrome.

Soo... what do you think? If I get a reflection.... Does that mean I am moving in the right direction?

the reason I am using this is because I cannot find 3000 grit... I really wanted to do a 3000 wet sand before I started the PC buffing..
Old 10-18-2005, 08:42 PM
iceburgh
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'10

never have used it on anything but windows... I would not use it on paint. If (and from looking at the pictures it is a big if) you have any clear left on that hood 2000 grit paper very light will buff back out with a P.C. and Meguiars "diamond cut" and a red pad....then move o a "medium cut cleaner" then "swirl remover" and then "speed glaze"
But to be honest I dont know this will help with that hood
Old 10-18-2005, 09:01 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Originally Posted by iceburgh
never have used it on anything but windows... I would not use it on paint. If (and from looking at the pictures it is a big if) you have any clear left on that hood 2000 grit paper very light will buff back out with a P.C. and Meguiars "diamond cut" and a red pad....then move o a "medium cut cleaner" then "swirl remover" and then "speed glaze"
But to be honest I dont know this will help with that hood

Well here is a pic of 0000 Steel Wool... I used water with it and only used vertical strokes... Not only have I NOT breached the clear coat.. But.... I actually gave it some gloss...

Funny thing is ... I searched for an HOUR on Google and could not come up with a single instance of someone using Steel Wool on Paint or clearcoat.. (good or bad.. NOTHING).. ONLY WOODWORKING came up.. So it looks like I am pioneering here.. Thank god this beater is getting sold.. and I get to learn on it like a Cadaver..

Here is a shot to show the refelectivity of it... I have not touched it with the PC yet.. You can see my ugly mug holding the camera over it...

Name:  0000.jpg
Views: 8147
Size:  18.4 KB

Last edited by chuckster; 10-18-2005 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:33 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

I would think that 0000 is too aggressive. You can get 3000 grit from Meguiars web site. Or just try to buff out the 2000 grit scratches. I hav edone small spots with the pc but you really are better off getting a rotary to remove sanding scratches. You will be there forever with a PC even with the 3000 grit.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:00 PM
chuckster
Race Director

I would think that 0000 is too aggressive. You can get 3000 grit from Meguiars web site. Or just try to buff out the 2000 grit scratches. I hav edone small spots with the pc but you really are better off getting a rotary to remove sanding scratches. You will be there forever with a PC even with the 3000 grit.
Look at the Pics... The 0000 is WAY less aggressive than 2000.... I can see my face in the 0000... compared to the 2000 sanding.. I realized I am blazing a trail in uncharted waters using the steel Wool so you are just going to have to trust the pics I have.. seems that NOBODY ever used it on clear coat.. Not even a google search came up with anything.

As far as the PC goes...
I had an entire thread of peeps convincing me to buy a PC last week... Iwent to Lowes this past sunday and bought one and now I am told buy a rotary... This is ONLY to fix this hood to sell the car and learn something along the way.. I am not opening a detail shop...

Here is the comparison again..

2000 Wet Sand..

Name:  sand.jpg
Views: 8291
Size:  58.3 KB

0000 Steel Wool

Old 10-19-2005, 11:11 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

very very interesting. I would have never had the courage to use steel wool on clear coat. Why not just continue as you did with that corner of the hood which turned out so well?

I like following your progress on this project - we'll all learn something.

But HOLY CRAP, What happened to the gorgeous wifey? man, your avatar all of a sudden is CREEEEPPPYYYYY
Old 10-20-2005, 11:21 AM
chuckster
Race Director

Originally Posted by bugman
very very interesting. I would have never had the courage to use steel wool on clear coat. Why not just continue as you did with that corner of the hood which turned out so well?

I like following your progress on this project - we'll all learn something.

But HOLY CRAP, What happened to the gorgeous wifey? man, your avatar all of a sudden is CREEEEPPPYYYYY
Just my Halloween Avatar.. Thanks for the wifey compliment..

Well, here is what happend... I used the White Turtle Wax Compound on the White Foam pad that came with my Porter Cable.. It was not reducing any of the vertical scratches Completely that was from the wet sand and the Steel wool..
I could do it by hand but not with the PC...
I quickly realized you need a pad with more Bite not giving in like the White pad..

I am too anxious to get it done so I am not going to order any of the Stiffer (Orange?) pad online.. So I tried something today that worked PERFECTLY!

I got one of those elastic Synthetic Cloth bonnets and strapped it around the solid Rubber sanding plate that came with my PC.. I figured if this bitch does not bite I will give up and do it by hand...

I did a 2' x 2' area and kept going over it till it was dry... Then I used a wet sponge to wipe if off and then buffed it with a microfiber cloth with a spray detailer. OMG! not a single scratch line was visable! Then I put the white foam pad on and used some 3M Swirl Mark Remover.. I did that till it was dry and rolling off... Gave it about quick detail spray and wipe with the microfiber cloth.. PERFECT!

Well as perfect as it is ever going to see... this hood has over 200,000 highway miles on it.. It's got that microsandblasted look... Little pin holes from sand and rocks.. but it SHINES LIKE GLASS!!! I am doing the entire hood....

One quick question...

On the PC... Higher Speeds cut more or less..

Examples

Compound uses what speed??
Polishing uses what speed?
Buffing ??
Old 10-20-2005, 02:04 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One quick question...
On the PC... Higher Speeds cut more or less.
The abrasiveness of the foam pad would make a bigger difference than speed of osillation
Foam Pad Selection:
The abrasion or cutting ability of a foam pad relative to its composition (number of pores per inch) The work is approximately distributed, 60% product, 30% foam composition (PPI) and 10% pressure applied and/or speed of rotation or oscillation.

Pores per inch Abrasion Colour Identification
(PPI) Grade Lake County Edge 200
40 Abrasive cutting Foamed-wool --
50 Polish / Cutting Yellow Yellow
60 Medium cutting Orange Green
70 Light Polishing White Blue
80 Finishing Black White

Based on the Edge 2000 Duraform pad abrasion identification system (http://www.autogeek.net/edge20006.html)

Examples
Buffing ??

Polish / Cutting Pad (*Yellow)-a harder more dense foam composition with an abrasive cutting action, for use with a medium abrasive polish, Machine Polish 1 or 2, Swirl Mark Remover, or Autoglym Paint Renovator Polish (Speed number 4-5)

Polish / Light Cutting Pad (*Orange)-a mid range, high density foam composition with a medium abrasive cutting action, for use with a Swirl Mark Remover, Pre-Wax Paint Cleaner, Klasse All-In-One, or Autoglym Super Resin Polish (Speed number 4)

Polish / Waxing Pad (*White)-a softer less dense foam composition with a light abrasive cutting action, for use with a Swirl Mark Remover, Pre-Wax Paint Cleaner, Klasse All-In-One, or Autoglym Super Resin Polish (Speed number 4)

Finishing Pad (*Black)-an ultra-smooth foam that has no abrasive cutting ability, for use with Klasse High Sealant Gloss, Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection, Zanio Z-2 or Z-5 or a Glaze (Speed number 3)

Levelling Pad (* White foam/wool) - used to cut or level a paint film surface with an abrasive machine polish (compound) or to apply a polish to large areas. Wool pads naturally run cooler than foam; the most important thing is the type of blend and materials used.
Lake Counties (LC) patented process encapsulates the base of the lamb’s wool fibres with microscopic polyurethane foam particles. Cuts like natural sheepskin but finishes like a foam pad. Aggressively removes 1500 - 2000 grit scratches, leaving a lustrous finish with no hazing by reducing compounding swirls. Foamed fibres resist matting and compression. Foaming process also creates minute air pockets at the base of the fibres, which improves cushioning and retention of compounds and polishes.
*The foam pad colour identifications and specifications are by Lake County Manufacturing (LC) other manufactures of foam pads use different colours to identify the abrasiveness or cutting ability of their foam pads, they can be purchased at www.properautocare.com.

JonM
Old 10-20-2005, 02:36 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Originally Posted by TOGWT
One quick question...
The abrasiveness of the foam pad would make a bigger difference than speed of osillation
Foam Pad Selection:
The abrasion or cutting ability of a foam pad relative to its composition (number of pores per inch) The work is approximately distributed, 60% product, 30% foam composition (PPI) and 10% pressure applied and/or speed of rotation or oscillation.

80 Finishing Black White

Based on the Edge 2000 Duraform pad abrasion identification system (http://www.autogeek.net/edge20006.html)

Examples
Buffing ??

Polish / Cutting Pad (*Yellow)-a harder more dense foam composition with an abrasive cutting action, for use with a medium abrasive polish, Machine Polish 1 or 2, Swirl Mark Remover, or Autoglym Paint Renovator Polish (Speed number 4-5)

Polish / Light Cutting Pad (*Orange)-a mid range, high density foam composition with a medium abrasive cutting action, for use with a Swirl Mark Remover, Pre-Wax Paint Cleaner, Klasse All-In-One, or Autoglym Super Resin Polish (Speed number 4)

Polish / Waxing Pad (*White)-a softer less dense foam composition with a light abrasive cutting action, for use with a Swirl Mark Remover, Pre-Wax Paint Cleaner, Klasse All-In-One, or Autoglym Super Resin Polish (Speed number 4)

Finishing Pad (*Black)-an ultra-smooth foam that has no abrasive cutting ability, for use with Klasse High Sealant Gloss, Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection, Zanio Z-2 or Z-5 or a Glaze (Speed number 3)

Levelling Pad (* White foam/wool) - used to cut or level a paint film surface with an abrasive machine polish (compound) or to apply a polish to large areas. Wool pads naturally run cooler than foam; the most important thing is the type of blend and materials used.
Lake Counties (LC) patented process encapsulates the base of the lamb’s wool fibres with microscopic polyurethane foam particles. Cuts like natural sheepskin but finishes like a foam pad. Aggressively removes 1500 - 2000 grit scratches, leaving a lustrous finish with no hazing by reducing compounding swirls. Foamed fibres resist matting and compression. Foaming process also creates minute air pockets at the base of the fibres, which improves cushioning and retention of compounds and polishes.
*The foam pad colour identifications and specifications are by Lake County Manufacturing (LC) other manufactures of foam pads use different colours to identify the abrasiveness or cutting ability of their foam pads, they can be purchased at www.properautocare.com.

JonM
thanks Jon!! That foam kit looks awesome.. Need to pick that up...

So it looks like I had the speed right and just needed a stiffer foam.. seems that the right FOAM is more important than the right abrasive...

I mean if I rubbed hard enough I could have gotten the 2000 scratches out with SMR....
Old 10-20-2005, 02:46 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by chuckster
Look at the Pics... The 0000 is WAY less aggressive than 2000.... I can see my face in the 0000... compared to the 2000 sanding.. I realized I am blazing a trail in uncharted waters using the steel Wool so you are just going to have to trust the pics I have.. seems that NOBODY ever used it on clear coat.. Not even a google search came up with anything.

As far as the PC goes...
I had an entire thread of peeps convincing me to buy a PC last week... Iwent to Lowes this past sunday and bought one and now I am told buy a rotary... This is ONLY to fix this hood to sell the car and learn something along the way.. I am not opening a detail shop...

Here is the comparison again..

2000 Wet Sand..

0000 Steel Wool

I am glad you are not experimenting on your vette atleast. Let us know how it buffs up. I would also like to see some test done with a paint thickness meter to see how much cc it is actually removing. Never say never. Post pics of the
Old 10-20-2005, 03:01 PM
chuckster
Race Director

I am glad you are not experimenting on your vette atleast. Let us know how it buffs up. I would also like to see some test done with a paint thickness meter to see how much cc it is actually removing. Never say never. Post pics of the

Hopefully I will be done tonight....As I said before.. I am certain I have not breached the CC... All the rubbing comes up milky...

Also I am lucky to have a beater (cadaver) that I am selling and getting to practice on..So even if I did cut through the CC it would not make a diff.. It's still 1000% better than the before pic...

By the way, the trunk has no CC left... all those years of using cleaner waxes.. She buffs up black every time back there..
Old 10-20-2005, 10:19 PM
chuckster
Race Director

OK ALL DONE!!!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1552486770
Old 12-16-2015, 05:23 PM
rkahn
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Polishing glass with 0000 steel wool or 2000 sandpaper? Sanity check??

I have a gorgeous concourse condition C6 2007 coupe. I'm also in the glass business. I have two comments on what I interpret as insanity, considering steel wool or sandpaper on glass.

1. Cerium oxide powder on a wool drill application pad is standard in the industry for smoothing glass. It can be purchased from any glass products supplier in varying quantities. You make a little slurry of warm water and the powder. I like taping off the paint surround so no splashes. That shines like polished glass.

2.There are times when the clay that is used on paint to remove microscopic residue is appropriate.

Using a steel wool or sand paper on glass sounds insane with all due respect. We would NEVER do that in our glass business.

Respectfully,
Old 12-16-2015, 05:44 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I would suggest visiting our site and reviewing Mike Phillips posts on wet-sanding. He also offers several books and dvds. I would not personally use steel wool on paint no matter the abrasiveness/

www.autogeekonline.net
Old 12-16-2015, 08:17 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by TOGWT
One quick question...
Foam Pad Selection:

80 Finishing Black White

Examples
Buffing ??

JonM
Exactly on point!
Old 12-17-2015, 05:41 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

anyone realize (like I just did) that the post is more than 10 years old !
Old 12-30-2015, 07:45 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
anyone realize (like I just did) that the post is more than 10 years old !
Yes, very odd. How do they get recycled.

Well technology is changing all the time. I would recommend that chuckster use a 3000 grit disc that they make for RO sanders if possible since they are even less aggressive than 3000 grit paper and buffs out even easier. I am still not on the 0000 steel wool on paint band wagon. I would assume it would leave too many tracers or RIDS behind.

Get notified of new replies

To Question using 0000 Steel Wool vs. 2000 Wet Sandpaper

Quick Reply: Question using 0000 Steel Wool vs. 2000 Wet Sandpaper