Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

My test of Rejex and Zaino

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 02:25 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My test of Rejex and Zaino

Rejex and Zaino

These are *MY* opinions of the 2 products I tested. They are not meant to convince anyone to buy one or the other. Just my observations.

I had purchased Rejex last month and applied it to my vehicles. I did at least 2 coats on all of them and 3 on the bike and the vette.

I was very pleased with the overall look of Rejex and it's claims to repel dirt seemed to hold true from my initial testing, especially on my rims. Prior to that I was using NXT on everything since I had heard pretty good reviews about it.

To be totally fair and unbiased, I ordered the Zaino Zkit-2 so I could compare the two. I didn't need the entire kit for comparing, I did this because I wanted the most used products, but also needed some leather cleaner and conditioner, etc. I also ordered a bottle of the Z-8. I wanted to test Zaino for myself so I could formulate my *own* opinion.

I'm glad I ordered the kit and tested it myself instead of listening to some of the rumors and myths that I read about it.

Again - These are my observations and I encourage everyone to test the products themselves to see what works best for their vehicles.

I'll start by listing some of the common myths and statements that had me hesitant to buy Zaino.

"All those bottles and having to mix everything together"

When I first read this statement from different users, I was thinking, "do I need a chemistry degree to use this stuff". Nothing could be further from the truth. There's actually no mandatory mixing required. You can apply Zaino straight from the bottle, but you should wait 6 hours before applying the second coat (Rejex is 12). By using the ZFX accelerator, you can add additional coats as soon as you remove the previous coat. I'm all about not having to wait before applying additional coats.

"Cleaning all of those little bottles is a pain"

Again, I actually read the directions, and after I finished using my Zaino, I gave a little squirt of dishwashing soap (Dawn) in the bottle, added some water and shook for a minute and poured it out. Bottle was clean. Pretty simple. I like using the smaller bottle while I'm applying any product. Weighs less than a large bottle and it fits in my hand easier.

"There are so many steps and you have to do more than one coat"

I'll break this one down into 2 parts.

"There are so many steps"

Again, not true. If you have a brand new car without scratches, you just use the Z2 pro, which from what I can tell would be somewhat equivalent to Rejex. If you don't want to wait 6 hours between coats (12 for the first coat of Rejex), add a few drops of ZFX accelerator and there's no waiting involved. I wish Rejex had an accelerator.

If you have a car with scratches or swirl marks and you don't want them to be seen, then use the Z5. Depending on how severe the scratches are will depend on how many coats you apply. No product will totally make the scratches invisible, but Z5 sure did a good job at minimizing them. Rejex did not hide the scratches at all. I also used 3M perfect-it on the bike prior to using either Rejex or Zaino which helped. And let's face it, nothing short of a paintjob will get rid of severe scratches.

"You have to do more than one coat"
You don't have to, but the vehicle looks better with multiple coats. I used multiple coats with other products (including Rejex), so why not with Zaino. I've read posts that some users like to put coats of their favorite product on bi-weekly.

"It costs so much"
Like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. I do have to say that a little Zaino goes a long way. I was surprised at how little it took to cover my paint. I have some pretty expensive vehicles, why would I want to put on some cheap product. I wouldn't think of putting 50 dollar tires on my coupe, so why should I skimp when it comes to keeping it looking great.

Now to my actual test.

I was going to test it out on my 02 coupe, but for time factors, I decided to use my 2002 Yamaha V-Star motorcycle.

Vehicle Prep

Before applying Rejex last month, I gave the bike a good bath using Dawn, I clayed it, gave another Dawn wash, then used some 3M perfect-it glaze for dark vehicles(using my PC buffer) and then a 3rd bath in Dawn.

I applied the intial coat of Rejex, waited the 12 hours and applied the second coat. I applied the 3rd coat 6 hours after that for a total of 3 coats.
I did the same with my 02 coupe.

Prior to applying Zaino to the bike, I gave it a Dawn wash, clayed (wanted to make sure all of the Rejex was off) and then gave a second Dawn Wash.

Application

Rejex - Went on pretty easy and came off easily as well.
Zaino - Went on extremely easy and off easily as well.
I had made a mistake when first applying Rejex and put it on a little too thick in some spots. It was a little more difficult to remove. I wanted to try the same scenario with Zaino, it came off a lot easier than the Rejex did.

So my vote for application would have to be for Zaino. It went on a lot easier than the Rejex. It seemed to glide onto the paint a lot smoother. I thought it might have been because I had Rejex on their initially and possibly the Dawn didn't remove all of the Rejex, so I tested it on my GF's truck. The Zaino went on easier than the Rejex, no doubt about it. I also didn't have to worry about getting Zaino on parts that normally would turn white as with other products. It just wiped right off and made them look great.

Layering -
Rejex - 3 total coats. I had to wait 12 hours between coat 1 and 2 and an additional 6 hours between coat 2 and 3. Not including the 30 minutes for drying time for each coat.
Zaino using the ZFX accelerator - 2 total coats of the Z5 (yes I had some scratches on my bike) No wait time between coats other than the 20-30 minutes of drying time (same for Rejex). I also did 2 coats of the Z2 with ZFX on top of the Z5. Again, no waiting time between coats.

My vote had to go to Zaino on this as well. There was no waiting between coats as with Rejex. I was done the same day, not a day or so later.

Shine/depth/clarity/slickness

Rejex - Great shine, decent depth, good clarity and very slick
Zaino - Great shine, unbelievable depth, great clarity and very slick

Again, my vote has to go to Zaino. While the Rejex was very shiny and slick, the Zaino was incredible. I've never seen the paint on my bike look like this before. The Z5 made any scratches practically disappear. My GF was amazed at the difference in the look. Now she wants her truck done as well (Thanks Sal for making extra work for me...lol)

Cost

Rejex - Normally 17.95 for a 16 oz bottle. It cost me 14 dollars for one bottle with free shipping, including my 20% discount for being prior military
Zaino - I would have to break this one down since I ordered the entire kit. To compare apples to apples, if I ordered just the Z2 pro 8 oz(equivalent to Rejex) it would have been 14.95 for the bottle, plus the 8.95 shipping for UPS.

Almost impossible for me to call this one. Rejex gives you more product, but I *believe* I used less Zaino (approx 1/8th oz) to give the bike 2 coats Z2 pro. I couldn't really measure how much Rejex I used since I used the bottle on other vehicles. Shipping was free for Rejex via USPS and took a week to receive. Shipping with Zaino was 8.95 for my entire kit (they have a set price so it pays to order more at one time) and was on my door step in 2 days.

This was almost a tie, but I would have to give the cost and shipping to Rejex (if you don't mind waiting the few extra days), but I can't determine the exact "cost per application" for each product so it may be somewhat different once I can figure it out.

Durability

Rejex - I have had it on my vehicles for just about a month. So far, it's holding up pretty well. The bike is always in the garage and never goes out in the rain so it looked great. I did notice that it lost some of it's slick properties after each wash (2 washes so far). Dust and road dirt came off easily with just a sponge and Mothers car wash. It's still beading very well on the 02 coupe and I may wait an additional week or two before applying Zaino to the car so I can see how it holds up over a longer period of time.

Zaino - Just applied to the bike so I can't judge as of yet.

I did do the fingerprint and smudge test on both products after finishing the intial applications and I will say Zaino won on that test. While both showed a fingerprint and smudge, it was less noticeable on the Zaino finish and wiped off easier.

I will post more on the durability once I get the coupe done with Zaino.

Some personal notes -

Zaino offers a full line of car care products, unlike Rejex. What is very important to *me* is product compatability. I know if I use the Zaino line that the QD spray, carwash..etc... is compatible with each other and it helps take the guess work out of "what can I use with this" or "will this remove my polish" ? We all use detaling sprays, car washing soap, leather cleaner/conditioner.. etc..so it's not like we're buying things we don't need. You can use what ever you feel works best for you and your vehicle. Zaino, as well as other companies, try to take the guess work out of detailing by offering compatible products. This is a plus in my book.

I do have to say that the Zaino "leather in a bottle" smells just like the name implies. I swear my car smells like brand new with it. The Z-8 detailing spray is simply amazing. I used it after my last coat of Z2 pro and couldn't believe the shine.

I do have to add that Sal went the extra mile to answer any and all of my questions, suggested many helpful car care tips and also had me call him when my order arrived to make sure everything was delivered as promised and to see if I had any additional questions. In this world of automated voice systems when you need to talk to a live person, Zaino gets an A+ for customer service.

As far as which product to choose, it all depends on what you need it to do for you and your vehicle.
In my case, I needed something that is going to make my vehicle

Look great
Keep it looking that way for the longest term possible
Is easily applied and removed
Is compatible with the other products I use
Is within my budget

In my initial test, Zaino has shown that it can do all of those things for me. I will wait to see how well it lasts since I just applied it, but I have no doubt in my mind that it will live up to it's reputation.

As I said when I started this post, I wanted to make the best decison for myself by trying both products. I tried both and for *my* needs, Zaino is the answer.

Mike
Old 11-10-2005, 03:39 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Very thorough write-up! Thanks for your time and opinion.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:46 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Excellent review. I appreciate your honesty.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:09 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Nice write up...

Tks
Peace
Willfulone

Old 11-10-2005, 06:09 PM
Sprongs
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I am a RejeX user. I just like the look of RejeX on my Artic White Vette. Your review of Zanio is one of the best I have read. I enjoyed it and found it to be very informative.
Thanks
Old 11-11-2005, 02:22 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the objective review
Like you, I didn't want to try Zaino because of the baloney you hear about it being difficult or time consuming -- just a myth.

my bottom line: much easier to apply than any carnauba wax - no doubt about that at all, especially because you can be careless as hell and smear it all over your trim, rubber, glass -- who cares? it doesn't leave any residue or white stains. That makes application even quicker and easier.

Old 11-12-2005, 11:49 PM
Kevin V
Pro

Nice detailed review!!!
Old 11-13-2005, 01:26 PM
mike348
Burning Brakes

Nice review. I also found that Zaino glides on better than other polishes. 8 oz. goes a long way.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:11 PM
filmelf
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '06-'08
Default help me understand Please

If you spent all that money and time researching car care products why use dish washing soap to wash the car?
Old 11-13-2005, 06:29 PM
okies93
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor 06

good job...
Old 11-13-2005, 07:03 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by filmelf
If you spent all that money and time researching car care products why use dish washing soap to wash the car?
Nothing wrong with a one time use.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:48 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by filmelf
I really like the nice big bubbles and it makes my skin soft...wait..that was Palmolive....

Actually, Dawn was part of my research. I wanted to start with the cleanest surface possible.

Dawn contains a high alkaline content which is great for removing previous coats of wax, oils, etc.

Once my finish of choice is on the vehicle, I then use an automotive soap that won't remove the finish I just applied.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:00 PM
PoundF15
Instructor

Great write up...couple questions...

How is the Zaino for removing bugs. I've read that REJEX allows you to remove bugs off of the front end with a wet sponge, does Zaino allow the same ease of cleaning? Can Zaino be used on windows and comp grey wheels which are painted I believe?

Thanks for the info...

Pound
Old 11-20-2005, 06:40 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by PoundF15

How is the Zaino for removing bugs. I've read that REJEX allows you to remove bugs off of the front end with a wet sponge, does Zaino allow the same ease of cleaning? Can Zaino be used on windows and comp grey wheels which are painted I believe?

Thanks for the info...

Pound
Bugs slide right off of Zaino. I also find that with Zaino my leaf blower works the best, even driving down the road the water flies right off the hood. I also use it on my wheels and NOTHING sticks. And only Zaino will give you a shine like this.
Attached Images      
Old 11-20-2005, 08:20 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PoundF15

Thanks for the info...

Pound
Well so far I've only tested Zaino on my bike. I plan on doing the car this coming week since I'm on vacation and have been doing some work in the garage. Now that the garage is just about complete, I can focus on the car.

From using it on my bike I can tell you the bugs wipe right off with a damp cotton towel. It can also be used on your windows and grey wheels. The thing I really like about Zaino is that I don't have to be careful with it on my trim. If I get some on the trim, no problem, it just wipes off. When I used Rejex, it would leave a white stain on certain trim pieces.

I was also pretty impressed today when I got back from a nice bike ride. It started to rain just before I made it home. Once I got the bike in the garage, I used my drying towel to remove the water. I was really impressed with Zaino at that point. Once the bike had been wiped down and dry, it looked like I just applied a fresh coat of Z2pro. It was amazing.

I have noticed on my vette that the water isn't beading like it did 5-6 weeks ago after the initial application of Rejex. The water drops are noticeably larger and more and more road grime is sticking to the finish. After a wash, it doesn't feel as slick as it did a month or so ago.

I'll apply Zaino to the coupe this week and post my results.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:46 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...33&forum_id=10

Peace
Willfulone
Old 11-21-2005, 07:58 AM
0Zaino Bros (Sal)
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-08-'09

mrosa65,

Excellent & comprehensive write-up.

Get notified of new replies

To My test of Rejex and Zaino

Old 11-22-2005, 04:54 PM
jim213
Safety Car

I enjoyed reading your objective write-up. Very fair and not baised about either product.

Old 12-01-2005, 01:16 AM
Deep Silver C6 Z51
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrosa65
Rejex and Zaino

Cost

Rejex - Normally 17.95 for a 16 oz bottle. It cost me 14 dollars for one bottle with free shipping, including my 20% discount for being prior military
Zaino - I would have to break this one down since I ordered the entire kit. To compare apples to apples, if I ordered just the Z2 pro 8 oz(equivalent to Rejex) it would have been 14.95 for the bottle, plus the 8.95 shipping for UPS.

Mike
Excellent comparison.

I don't believe you should use Zaino Z-2 without either the old Z-1 Polish Lock or the newer ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator. Adding the ZFX increases the minimum cost of using Zaino to about $44. This is still a good buy for a quality product, but much more expensive than the RejeX product you bought.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:59 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,018 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'10, '14

Originally Posted by Deep Silver C6 Z51
Excellent comparison.

I don't believe you should use Zaino Z-2 without either the old Z-1 Polish Lock or the newer ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator. Adding the ZFX increases the minimum cost of using Zaino to about $44. This is still a good buy for a quality product, but much more expensive than the RejeX product you bought.

But I would pay the $44 for the zaino anyway. It is that good. Also, the ZFX is quite expensive (~$20), but it can be used through multiple bottles of Z2/Z2pro/Z5, so it's cost is divided out a little over time.

Quick Reply: My test of Rejex and Zaino