Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

P085rd has been discontinued

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 03:13 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default P085rd has been discontinued

From the properautocare web site...

November 30, 2006: Menzerna USA announced they will no longer import the PO85RD polish as PO106FF has been selected by automakers as the polish to use on ceramic particle and scratch-resistant clear coats. Unfortunately, Menzerna USA is out of stock of PO106FF and will not have any until late December. Menzerna Germany has also announced a price increase on PO106FF. We do not know at this time if the shipment coming in will be at a higher price. We'll turn our order button back on as soon as we have this product back in stock.

PO85RD, 32 oz. PolishDiscontinued, no longer avaialble.

Item #: MEN-PO85RD

PO106FF, 32 oz. PolishMenzerna USA is out of stock. We'll turn the order button on as soon as our next shipment arrives.

Item #: MEN-PO106FF

Here is the rest of the text from their site...

We've been able to secure a very small inventory of two of the world's hottest, most elusive polishes. Both are finishing polishes and both are made by Menzerna of Germany for the OEM market. They are currently being used extensively in Europe and in selected GM and Daimler Chrysler plants here in the US.

Menzerna P085RD and PO106FF Polishes were designed to remove very fine (3000 grit) swirls from the new, super-hard, ceramic clear coats. These are the BASF clear coats being used on the Maybach and 2004-5 Rolls Royce Phantom and PPG's CeramiClear* which is being used on the 2005 Mercedes C-Class. They can also be used on conventional clear coats.

The claim-to-fame of both of these products is their ability to remove very fine swirls and surface defects in one step while leaving a PERFECT, mirror-like surface. Both use a unique, extremely, extremely fine, powdered abrasive. I'm told by Menzerna that the particle size of the abrasives in these polishes are smaller than any polish made by any manufacturer in the world. While micro-sized, these particles have an edge so sharp they can "cut" or burnish the new ceramic clear coats. Menzerna tells me they can do the same on conventional clear coats, creating a true, mirror-like shine. Like polishing glass, the smoother you make the paint or clear coat, the greater the reflection. The limiting factor of any polish is the size of the abrasive particle used. The smaller the abrasive, the smoother you can burnish the finish.

PO85RD is the lightest cut, best used for burnishing an almost perfect surface to a glass-like finish. PO106FF contains a higher percentage of powder for more power. It is designed to remove very fine (3000 grit) swirls and blemishes. If you're a Menzerna customer, these polishes are like Final Polish II on steroids!

These are professional, OEM, products.

These are not consumer polishes. They are not even detailer products. They are designed for the world's automakers for machine application by professionals on the assembly line. We do not yet recommend these products for the car care novice or week-end enthusiast because we haven't spent enough time working with them.

We are offering these products because they have been asked for by some of our customers that prepare show and concours cars and by a few enthusiasts who want to experiment with cutting edge products. We have asked these customers to give us their feedback and application tips. As information comes back to us, we will publish it on our website.

* February 2005, Material Innovations (an industry trade journal) quotes a Mercedes Benz spokesman as saying, "CeramiClear will make it through the Mercedes range throughout the year."

Update, June 2005

We've just been told by Menzerna that PO85RD and PO106FF are being widely adopted (in Europe) as the industry standard for the refinishing of both ceramic and conventional clear coats. We're told that these new polishes are being used by Mercedes Benz at the Stuttgart plant with the Grüne Riese (Green Giant) Polishing Pad using dual-action machine polishers.

I just spent an afternoon polishing a 2005, Mercedes E500 using Menzerna's PO85RD with the Green Giant Pad on my Porter Cable 7424 polisher. (This E500, to my knowledge, has a conventional clear coat) I kept the polishers speed between 3-1/2 and 4, applied the polish by machine and buffed off residues by hand using a Microfiber buffing cloth. The first thing I noticed was how easy this polish was to work with. It stays wetter, longer which makes polishing easier and I never had to go over a section more than once. Menzerna tells us this polish has a 7% concentration of ultra-fine polishing agents compared to roughly 3% in Final Polish II. I was concerned that this increased concentration of abrasives might introduce swirls but they never appeared. I even upped the polisher's speed to 5 and pressed down on the pad. Nothing but a mirror-like shine. Absolutely no swirls or compounding haze. I buffed residues by hand using both a dry and damp Microfiber buffing cloth. A damp cloth worked better for me.

My initial impression of this polish is quite favorable but I'm still not going to recommend it to beginners. The E500 I worked on did not have any swirls or water spots. I need more time with this product to do a side-by-side comparison with Final Polish II on an older vehicle but I'm sure we haven't heard the last of these new polishes.

Customer Comments: "I just did the hood of my car with my D-A polisher using a white polishing pad and Final Polish II. The paint did get a little darker, looked pretty good, but I thought it could be better. I got another white pad and did the hood with Menzerna PO85RD. Shazam! Gloss through the roof. Wetness like you can't believe. My car never looked so good. I finished polishing the car this morning with PO85RD and pulled it outside into the bright sun. Oh my god...it looks incredible! Wet, wet, wet! The clear looks like it's an inch thick. This is the best polish in the world. It made my car look better than new! I am thrilled. Thanks again for making this polish available."
Rich M., Bordertown, N.J.

"I just used the Menzerna 106FF and 85RD on a dark blue Volvo and a jet black BMW. The results were spectacular! I used the green foam pad with both products. The Volvo had some paint imperfections that needed to be dealt with and Menzerna came through. The paint looked better than new. The BMW had swirl marks and the Menzerna products again came through, took out all the scratches and gave the paint a mirror shine. I have been detailing cars for 30 years by hand and with a circular polisher and Menzerna makes getting the perfect shine easier. Classic has THE BEST products and I am looking forward to doing more business with you."
John L., Chandler, AZ

These are only available in 32 oz. containers.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:28 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I have a bottle, glad it was sold in such a large container. Should last until they decide to reissue it.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:51 PM
DsC5
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I have a bottle, glad it was sold in such a large container. Should last until they decide to reissue it.

Get notified of new replies

To P085rd has been discontinued

Quick Reply: P085rd has been discontinued