Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

What about NuFinish?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 10:09 PM
rambo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What about NuFinish?

I just bought a 2006 and have been checking out this forum for information, advice and accessories for it. I keep reading about Zaino and how good it is. I've owned 4 other Vettes over the years and all I've been using since about 1990 is Nu Finish (advertised as The Once A Year Car Polish)(www.nufinish.com). It's that stuff that comes in the orange colored bottle and is sold at Wal-Mart and auto parts stores. Before settling on Nu Finish, I had tried all the various waxes/polishes available at the discount stores and auto parts stores and found that Nu Finish was very easy to apply, very easy to buff off, cheap (about $6 for a 16 oz bottle), and lasted longer than anything else I'd tried. It was rated #1 by Consumer Reports Magazine at the time. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since I did my testing. So, I'd like to ask if anybody else uses it? Does anybody know of any reasons not to use Nu Finish?

thanks,

rambo

Last edited by rambo; 01-01-2006 at 10:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-01-2006, 10:15 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

I'm still a Nufinish user too! I use it on my motorcycles, snowmobiles (Drys fast in cold temps)and door jams on the cars. Fast to dry, easy to wipe off.
For my car surfaces I'm still Zaino. For others I use Nufinish.

Later,
JU
Old 01-01-2006, 11:26 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use to use Nufinish but found better products. When i did use it I topped it with some wax(mostly Mother's) for a better look.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:08 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Their was a wax report issued by Guru almost five years ago. It rated Nufinish very low in comparision to most high end boutique products then. I would only comfirm that many other paint sealants exist that will offer similar protection, better looks, and easy to use. (Now the report did bia's on availability, but that seemed to hamper high end internet products only versus store bought products. So the rating is pretty valid in this particular senario or so it seems.)

The biggest thing to factor is the difference between a sealer with cleaners, or a Last Stage Sealant only. One will need additional prep, the other may not need so much care. I would suggest Klasse AIO (red canister) if you are looking for a long term acrylic sealant with cleaners attached that would be similar to the design of NuFinish although not nearly as abrasive.

http://www.autogeek.net/was.html
Old 01-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Velocity Jonny
Instructor

Default Also, for commonly available stuff......

I think people prefer NXT to Nu-Finish. A little more $$$, but just as easy or easier to use.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:44 AM
JJU
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

There are better products on the market.

Guru reports proved that the product doesn't last 1 year.

This is also a "red flag" product if you remember the commercials that used to air on TV. The ad goes that they take a "weather-beaten" piece of metal from an auto graveyard and apply the product.

The product removed the oxidation build-up. You can't do this without abrasives or solvents.

If you have a brand new car, why would you subject your car's "perfect" finish to these chemicals? It's not logical.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:35 AM
bretfraz
Racer

In Guru Reports Wax Test, NuFinish ranked 17th out of 46 products. It's score was boosted by its wide availability and ease of use.

NuFinish has abrasives and a pretty strong solvent. Take a whiff of it and you'll understand. On neglected paint jobs, the cleaning action from the abrasives and solvents provides good results but a new car should not need a wax with such strong cleaning ability.

If you're looking for a decent store-bought wax, check out Meguiars NXT or Mothers FX Synwax. Both are easy to use, are mild and safe for new paint, and offer a nice shine. Durability is on a par with most other store-bought waxes.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:37 AM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JJU
There are better products on the market.

Guru reports proved that the product doesn't last 1 year.

This is also a "red flag" product if you remember the commercials that used to air on TV. The ad goes that they take a "weather-beaten" piece of metal from an auto graveyard and apply the product.

The product removed the oxidation build-up. You can't do this without abrasives or solvents.

If you have a brand new car, why would you subject your car's "perfect" finish to these chemicals? It's not logical.

I remember those commercials and you're right, why would someone want to expose a new finish to that.

It always makes me chuckle when I read certain posts. This isn't aimed at the original poster of this thread. It just came to me after reading a few other threads recently.

I just bought a brand new (insert car name here) and it cost me 65K. Any suggestions on what to use for the paint ? Then when you make your recommendations, they come back with "That stuff is just too expensive". It baffles my mind, they spend tons of money on a car, then are too cheap to spend a few bucks to keep it looking the best that they can.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:00 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Give the Zaino a try, you will love it. It truly is the best polish on the market IMHO. I never used NuFinish so I cannot say how they compare.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:27 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

excellent post, and very good points made above.
Rambo - I would suggest that with your new paint, you give it a good clay treatment, then just a pure sealant (i.e. without any abrasives or cleaners that you do not want on your new paint). This would mean using Zaino, Rejex, or perhaps a good pure carnauba like Pinnacle Souveran. I also really like Meguiar's #26 for an excellent over the counter product.

The things to avoid would be cleaners and abrasives - not wanted for your virgin paint. Examples of those would be Meguiars #6, Nu-Finish. Also Even Klasse all in one and Meguiars NXT have some mild cleaners. Just my opinion - but I don't think you want to use those and abrade your paint on a regular basis.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:51 AM
rambo
Racer

Default Update

Originally Posted by bugman
excellent post, and very good points made above.
Rambo - I would suggest that with your new paint, you give it a good clay treatment, then just a pure sealant (i.e. without any abrasives or cleaners that you do not want on your new paint). This would mean using Zaino, Rejex, or perhaps a good pure carnauba like Pinnacle Souveran. I also really like Meguiar's #26 for an excellent over the counter product.

The things to avoid would be cleaners and abrasives - not wanted for your virgin paint. Examples of those would be Meguiars #6, Nu-Finish. Also Even Klasse all in one and Meguiars NXT have some mild cleaners. Just my opinion - but I don't think you want to use those and abrade your paint on a regular basis.
Okay, I had to drive the car to work so I couldn't go without any wax or protection on the car at all so I used the NuFinish (don't hate me...I didn't have a ready source for Zaino). I do see what you all mean when you say it's abrasive. It was a brand new car, that was (supposedly) cleaned up by the dealer (looked clean anyway) but when I used the NuFinish, I was VERY surprised at how much dirt came off onto the terrycloth applicator. Now I've had some time this past weekend to do the requisite research and I'm going to try the Zaino. I'll be ordering some within a day or two. Should I buy from Zaino direct or is there a source that discounts it? (e-mail me at rambo-2000@NOSPAMcharter.net, remove NOSPAM and let me know off line). Thanks for all the help.

rambo
Old 01-03-2006, 06:18 PM
JJU
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

There may be a distributor close to you.

You can check by calling the customer service line (888-999-9870)

Otherwise, your best bet is to order online (http://www.zainostore.com/).

Get notified of new replies

To What about NuFinish?

Quick Reply: What about NuFinish?