Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

100% USA-made cotton towels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 02:29 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Default 100% USA-made cotton towels?

I was at Costco this weekend and noticed some nice looking towels. I believe they were marketed as "Combed Egyption Cotton", but looking at the tag, it was 100% made in USA cotton! The big ones were about $15 each but they had a $3 off coupon.

Anyone else like me who preferes real cotton to microfibre try these out yet? I'm thinking of going to grab a few. My old Fieldcrests are looking a little tired!

Last edited by SDVette; 03-13-2006 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:11 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tried DF towels?
Old 03-13-2006, 03:13 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not all micro fiber towels are non-cottton. www.dftowel.com makes 100% cotton micro fiber yarn towels.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:14 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Supima is the best cotton a towel can be made from and is what I use:

Supima Cotton Fact Sheet
What does Supima mean?
The name "Supima®" is a licensed trademark owned by Supima and its members. It is used to promote textile and apparel products made of 100% American Pima cotton, but is strictly controlled by the grower organization. The name "Supima" is an abbreviation for Superior Pima.

What is Pima cotton?
Pima cotton is a generic name for extra-long staple (ELS) cotton grown in the U.S., Australia, Peru and in very limited production in a few other locations around the world. Pima is from the gossypium barbadense species, compared to gossypium hirsutum to which upland cotton belongs. The primary differences between Pima (ELS growths) cotton and upland cotton are staple length and strength of the fiber. In the U.S., cotton is considered to be ELS or Pima if it is an inch and 3/8 or longer. Its strength and uniformity measurements are considerably higher than those of upland cotton.

What is the difference between Pima and Supima?
The name "Pima" is the generic term generally applied to ELS cotton grown in the U.S., Peru, Israel and Australia. The name was given to the ELS cotton being grown in the Southwest U.S. in about 1910. It had previously been called American-Egyptian cotton but was renamed to honor the Pima Indians who were growing the cotton for the USDA in Sacaton, Arizona, where the government's ELS breeding program was being conducted. "Supima" is the trademark name used to promote and market textile and apparel products made with 100% American Pima cotton. Supima provides licensing agreements to textile mills, manufacturers and retailers for the expressed purpose of promoting specific apparel and textile products in high-end retail outlets. Industry people often refer to American Pima cotton as "Supima cotton."

Does the use of the name Pima guarantee a product's cotton content?
Not necessarily. In the past, some textile products that were labeled or marketed as "Pima cotton" goods were not always made of all-Pima cotton.

The Supima® trademark is the consumer's only guarantee that a product is made of 100% American Pima cotton. The Federal Trade Commission ruled in June of 1997 that manufacturers and retailers would have to itemize cotton source content on any apparel or textile product when the name of a premium fiber was being used. For example, a product made of 60% U.S. Pima cotton and 40% upland cotton could be labeled and marketed as 100% cotton. But if the retailer or manufacturer wants to mention the Pima name in the labeling or marketing, they would have to list the content of both the Pima and the upland cotton. The content should be listed based on weight percentage.

What's the difference between Supima and Egyptian cotton?
All cotton grown in Egypt is "Egyptian" but it is not all ELS cotton. Egypt is one of the largest producers of ELS cotton in the world, but it consumes much of what it produces. The majority of what it exports is long staple cotton, not ELS cotton. However, the description "Egyptian cotton" conjures in the mind of many consumers the image of the very finest and longest cottons in the world. Egypt does produce and sell some of the best ELS cotton in the world, but it amounts to less than 15% of annual global ELS cotton exports, and is approximately 40% of Egyptian cotton exports. Supima cotton has become the cotton of choice among the world's fine count yarn spinners.

Why is Supima a premium cotton?
Pima accounts for only three percent of annual cotton production in the United States. Its fineness and longer staple length makes Pima a premium cotton fiber. It is used to spin finer count yarns, which can be knitted or woven into softer, finer and more luxurious fabrics. It is grown in select areas of the far West and Southwest U.S. where the cotton can benefit from a long growing season in a hot, dry climate. Pima cotton is grown almost exclusively on furrowed rows where growers can closely regulate irrigation and other inputs. Its production costs can vary in different states and regions, but it generally runs about the same as upland cotton costs in the same area. Ginning is more expensive because Pima cotton is roller-ginned, not saw-ginned like upland cotton. Pima is grown in Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas.

How do Supima® products benefit the consumer?
Products made from 100% American Pima cotton will have superior strength to a product made of upland cotton or upland/Pima blended cottons, which will improve the durability and increase the lifespan of the textile and apparel products. Because of the fineness of Supima cotton, more fibers can be spun into a yarn of a given count, which will enhance the feel and softness, drapeability and brilliance of color of a fabric.

Is Pima cotton a new breed of cotton?
No. Pima cotton traces its ancestry to the famous Sea Island cottons that were produced in the southeast United States in the 1700's. That cotton was then bred with Egyptian cottons to produce the contemporary ELS cottons that have evolved in the U.S. since the turn of the 20th century. The USDA's Pima Improvement Project has been responsible for the significant advances in Pima development of the last 50 years that have produced varieties S-5, S-6 and S-7. Each bore substantial improvement over its predecessor in yield potential and fiber characteristics. Commercial varieties with fiber properties similar to S-7 have since been released.

Is Supima cotton only sold in the United States?
No. More than 90% of annual U.S. Pima consumption is offshore. Most of the consumption today is seen in South Asia (Pakistan and India) and China. Although Japan and Indonesia continue to be strong importers of Supima® cotton, other nations such as Taiwan and Peru have also risen to the top in terms of Supima cotton imports. These nation's purchases account for over 80% of all the U.S. Pima cotton exports.

Why doesn't the U.S. textile industry consume more Supima cotton?
Domestic textile mills are predominantly medium to coarse count yarn producers. However, the U.S. does consume approximately 65,000 bales of U.S. Pima cotton a year. This figure has fallen from a high of about 120,000 bales of annual consumption several years ago. The decrease in annual domestic consumption speaks to the increasing cost of production in the U.S. In 1998/99 the U.S. was the largest consumer of Supima cotton. However, as more of the brands/retailers in the U.S. outsource their supply, foreign nations have jumped to the top of the list of Supima consumers.

Where can I find Supima-branded textile and apparel products?
Supima can be found at finer department and specialty stores nationwide. Retailers carrying Supima product include Bloomingdales, Nordstrom's, Brooks Brothers, Lord & Taylor, Linens N' Things and Bed Bath and Beyond. Supima product can also be found in direct mail-order catalogs from Land's End, Linensource and LL Bean. Examples of brands carrying Supima trademarked-products include Ralph Lauren (towels), WestPoint Stevens (towels and sheets), Springs Wamsutta (sheets), Perry Ellis (men's dress shirts), Slazenger (golf shirts) and Michael Stars (women's knits). The Supima® trademark is your guarantee that the product contains Supima, the world's finest cotton. No other trademark can guarantee a product's luxury cotton content.

SUPIMA® ...the World’s Finest Cotton.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:47 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Thanks for the info KLO..

Yes, I have tried a DF microfiber towel. They feel soft and well-made. I do use them for quick detailing. But for removing wax/polish (Zaino in my case), they seem to stick more, which makes me nervous. Perhaps it's the shorter nap?

or maybe just 'old dog/new trick' syndrom?!
Old 03-13-2006, 06:49 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with you - I really prefer 100% cotton. Sorry haven't tried the ones you mentioned. I think these Ralph Lauren Classic are PERFECT. really really soft. $13, and you only need to buy one towel - you can then cut it into 3 separate cloths easily. One towel will last me 3 years or longer. Zaino doesn't seem to cake on them or anything - after washing they seem good as new.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:54 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by KLO
Not all micro fiber towels are non-cottton. www.dftowel.com makes 100% cotton micro fiber yarn towels.
The problem with that site is it isn't user friendly to order or can you even order off that site?
Old 03-14-2006, 08:11 AM
Kevin V
Pro

Originally Posted by LS WON
The problem with that site is it isn't user friendly to order or can you even order off that site?
Yup you can, I never had any problems using it, but yeah it isn't as user friendly as it could be. Some of the Zaino distributors, like KLO, also sell the DFTowels. They are all I use on my car any more.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:02 PM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can order DF Towels directly off of my site
Old 03-15-2006, 01:03 AM
Skatduder
Racer

I'm getting fine swirls, and I'm wondering if the 100% cotten towels I'm using. They are new from Linen's & Things. I also use Micro Fibre towels from Costco.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:10 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

seriously take a look at your microfiber. at noon with sun out, rub the towel on an inconspicuous area of the car - you'll see very fine scratching appear before your eyes.

on your cotton towels, cut off any borders where the nap is sewn flat. and remove all tags.

Experts say that the best synthetic (polyamide/poyester) microfibers do not scratch, but I only feel safe with cotton after my own BAD experience with the CHEAP wally world microfiber. Do the test yourself and see if the MF is the problem.

Also make sure you're using a sheepskin mitt and using two buckets of water - one for cleaning the mitt, one for soap. Dry lightly with waffle weave towel.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:27 AM
Kevin V
Pro

Originally Posted by Skatduder
I'm getting fine swirls, and I'm wondering if the 100% cotten towels I'm using. They are new from Linen's & Things. I also use Micro Fibre towels from Costco.
You may be using too much pressure, even if you don't think you are.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:55 AM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The warehouse towels are inexpensive for a reason..... I have tested well over 40+ different warehouse brands and I have yet to find any that have duraility of a higher priced quality towel. In another words a few uses and washing/drying and they are on a down hill road.
Run the CD test on all your towels. Try washing all of your towels and use a 1/4 cup+ of vinegar in the rinse cycle. Larger loads need a touch more.
Many people do not have softened water and mineral content builds up in the fabric over time due to the wash/dry cycle. Vinegar will dissolve the content.
After your do that, retest your towels on the CD. If you still get fine scratches, relegate them to oil changes and try another brand.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:11 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

For cotton towels I get them from Ira at www.lazaino.com. They are all supima cotton (Martex Atelier towels) and he trims and sews the edges for you. You cannot beat them. I only wish I ordered more of them the last time I ordered.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:48 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Grzldvt
You can order DF Towels directly off of my site
What's mades DF Towel microfiber so different or better than the microfiber towels you can get from properautocare.com or Auto Geek?
Old 03-16-2006, 12:50 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Skatduder
$8.00 for 20 Microfiber towels from Costco.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:52 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

What's mades DF Towel microfiber so different or better than the microfiber towels you can get from properautocare.com or Auto Geek?
100% cotton.

Get notified of new replies

To 100% USA-made cotton towels?

Old 03-16-2006, 01:10 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default Microfiber vs. 100% Cotton what's the difference?

Originally Posted by ZaneO
100% cotton.
So it is 100%cotton and not microfiber? Which one is preferred?
Old 03-16-2006, 08:00 AM
Kevin V
Pro

So it is 100%cotton and not microfiber? Which one is preferred?
It's a 100% cotton microfiber towel instead of a synthetic microfiber towel, makes a BIG difference in them.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:22 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

DFTowels are in a class all by themselves, they are a "natural" microfiber if that makes any sense. They do worl awesome and are my favorite for removing Zaino or wax.

From their web site.

Our flagship product, the DF® Concours Towel, is an exceptionally soft, super absorbent terrycloth. The fabric is woven from our own unique AlpineFiber™ yarn. AlpineFiber™ is made entirely of a blend of microfiber Cotton and Pima Cotton, no artificial fibers of any kind are used in the weaving or sewing of this amazing product.

Quick Reply: 100% USA-made cotton towels?