Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

More Waterspots --**HELP**

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 04:12 PM
TonyC6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default More Waterspots --**HELP**

Well, I just got a chance to use my new Zaino stuff on my 2003 black Corvette. It has had some nasty waterspots on the hood since we got it (used) almost 2 years ago. I've tried just about every kind of wax and scratch remover on the market, to no avail. And I was just sure the magic Zaino would be the answer. This weekend, I started with a Dawn wash job (doubled up), then the clay bar over the whole car, did the hood twice. Then to the Zaino PC Fusion, and followed up with Z5 and topped it off with Z2 Pro. Waterspots still there.

So I started all over again this morning, Dawn wash, and then I tried the vinegar trick that I've been reading about. No help. I got some 3M Rubbing compound and rubbed it in by hand. No help. I did again with my orbital. No help. I got out the rotary and did it again. No help. I got some grittier red compound and used the rotary to try and get deeper into the paint. Still no help. These are some tough, nasty spots and I'm pretty much to the end of my rope. Anybody got any ideas?

Was there any particular paint problems with the Vette's in 2003?

I appreciate any help.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:42 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy crap ! you've already tried a rotary to no avail?
May want to just hire a torch from New York at this point, and get the insurance money.

well, seriously, I took out SEVERELY ETCHED waterspots that were 2 YEARS baking in the sun, with 3M #39002 by HAND. yes, lots of work, but it had great results - used a terry cloth towel. If interested, check my web page and click on SCRTCH/SPOT.

If you used the 3M bottle labelled "rubbing compound" without specifying a number, I believe that product is the swirlmark remover #39009, a rather mild product, packaged in an 8 ounce bottle. If that is the case, I'd still suggest trying #39002. Of course, you have some other options to get even tougher:
  • bump the speed up
  • increase your pad from orange to yellow (with some caution)
  • bump the product up to "heavy cut" 3M compounds.

But I'm really surprised that you would have to do this even for spots that have set in for years - as my experience with 3M 39002 was so good even by hand. Can you give any more details about what you tried? what pad, what speed? Maybe you just went over it too fast, without really working the compound until it was clear? try to move no more than 1" per second. Make a tic-tack-toe pattern (up/down first, then side to side) with the buffer.

well, I'm all talked out. sorry to hog this post. maybe someone who actually knows something can chime in now....
Old 04-03-2006, 01:36 AM
Pizzano
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Or try using Menzerna IP and FPII, that is what I had to end up using when the PC Fusion didnt quite cut it, worked like a charm, And yes also the PC 7424 was used.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:45 AM
Kevin V
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are etched into the paint big time it sounds like. If they are as bad as it sounds it may need repainting.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:13 PM
TonyC6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bugman
Holy crap ! you've already tried a rotary to no avail?
May want to just hire a torch from New York at this point, and get the insurance money.

well, seriously, I took out SEVERELY ETCHED waterspots that were 2 YEARS baking in the sun, with 3M #39002 by HAND. yes, lots of work, but it had great results - used a terry cloth towel. If interested, check my web page and click on SCRTCH/SPOT.

If you used the 3M bottle labelled "rubbing compound" without specifying a number, I believe that product is the swirlmark remover #39009, a rather mild product, packaged in an 8 ounce bottle. If that is the case, I'd still suggest trying #39002. Of course, you have some other options to get even tougher:
  • bump the speed up
  • increase your pad from orange to yellow (with some caution)
  • bump the product up to "heavy cut" 3M compounds.

But I'm really surprised that you would have to do this even for spots that have set in for years - as my experience with 3M 39002 was so good even by hand. Can you give any more details about what you tried? what pad, what speed? Maybe you just went over it too fast, without really working the compound until it was clear? try to move no more than 1" per second. Make a tic-tack-toe pattern (up/down first, then side to side) with the buffer.

well, I'm all talked out. sorry to hog this post. maybe someone who actually knows something can chime in now....
Thanks to all of you guys for the suggestions. Bugman, you may have the answer...a torch man! I was so frustrated last weekend after 8 or 10 hours of rubbing, buffing and polishing, and nothing I did would get them out. You are correct about the 3M product though. I couldn't find the 39002. I bought the 03900. Also, I didn't have the right orange or yellow pad, so I was using a terry cloth pad on the rotary. Since I'm not real familiar with that tool, I was very cautious about getting the paint too hot.

I think I'm going to take the car back to the dealer (still under warranty) and see what they say. I've never really seen anything like this before. By the way, this car has been garaged almost every night since it was new. Those water spots had to have come from a few overnighters where it was parked at a hotel, or just out in the rain. I remember it getting "sprinkled" one night at a hotel. That's the only place I can even remember getting these kinds of waterspots. But they must have been using acid water!

Thanks again for all your help. I'll let you know if I whip this dog.

T.

Get notified of new replies

To More Waterspots --**HELP**

Quick Reply: More Waterspots --**HELP**