Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Oh No!!! Not a black one!!!

Old 04-13-2006, 04:24 PM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Oh No!!! Not a black one!!!

I'm detailing a friends black SUV next week.

After hearing and reading wax horror stories about black Vettes and the wax problems some people encounter with black finishes, I thought I would ask first before I wax.

What is a good wax to use on black paint? I want something that will go on easy, not stain or streak the paint and comes off easy, I don't want to spend the day trying to remove streak marks from his paint

I want to be able to buy it locally also...so no Zaino Has any one tried the Turtle Ice Wax on a black finish yet?

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Z06-Goose
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was in your situation, and just wanted to go to my local autoparts store, I would pick up some Turtle Ice Wax, Meguiar's 26, or Mother's Reflection. Even a bottle of NXT would be extremely easy to use, really nice shine, but not known for durability, but you can always layer it and see how long it would really last. Unfortunately, I only gave it one chance, although I still have a bottle, I will try sometime applying multiple coats, and give it a more fair shot.
Goose
Old 04-13-2006, 06:16 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I was going to recommend Zaino until you said you need to buy it locally. My next choice would probably be Mothers Reflections, its no Zaino but I have heard good reports on it.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:23 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by 69mako
I'm detailing a friends black SUV next week.

After hearing and reading wax horror stories about black Vettes and the wax problems some people encounter with black finishes, I thought I would ask first before I wax.

What is a good wax to use on black paint? I want something that will go on easy, not stain or streak the paint and comes off easy, I don't want to spend the day trying to remove streak marks from his paint

I want to be able to buy it locally also...so no Zaino Has any one tried the Turtle Ice Wax on a black finish yet?

Thanks for the input.
Mothers Reflections, NXT (limited durability) and Liquid Glass should all be easily available and look nice on black specifically.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:26 PM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

nxt would make it look nice, just wont last as well.

megs number 26 would be my 2nd choice.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:44 PM
KidCid
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Unfortunately, you can't layer NXT. It contains mild abraisives that just removes the lower layer. I use it on the wife's car now.

Get notified of new replies

To Oh No!!! Not a black one!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oh No!!! Not a black one!!!