Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Detailing Acronyms

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 02:07 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Detailing Acronyms

Ok, here's a list I've compiled of some of the abbreviations I've seen in the car care forum here and on other car care sites. People tend to make up their own abbreviations of course, but the ones below are somewhat uniform.

Disclaimer - I'm not a pro, so there may be mistakes. Please correct me if you see errors. Just hoping this may save someone else a little confusion. As always, this info is on my web page also : bugmanweb - go there and click on "abbreviations". And the best way to get this is to download the pdf file, since that will be in color that is too difficult to reproduce here.

Hope this helps:

PDF FILE

Detailing Abbreviations and Product Numbers
http://www.bugmanweb.com

Abbreviations
106ff : Menzerna micro-fine polish. More agressive than Final Polish II, can remove 3000 grit sanding marks. Claim: that it can be used alone, without the need to "step down" to a milder product afterward.
1Z PP : 1Z or Einszett Paint Polish: a mild to medium polish.
303 : 303 protectant. For interior and exterior trim, plastic, vinyl, rubber.
39002, 39009 : 3M line of paint polishes. See full listing below.
  • 39002 : Effective with white pad, or with orange pad, to remove swirls, scratches, water spots.
  • 39009: milder product, used after 39002, or alone for light water spot removal or light paint polishing.
3M IHG : 3M's Imperial Hand Glaze.
"#7", #26, #6, etc : Meguiar's line of products. list below.
50/50 : a 1/2 water, 1/2 isopropyl alcohol solution ("IPA")
  • . Keep a bottle with you as you polish. Before each inspection, spray on, wipe off to remove residual polish product and see bare paint.
777: refers to Automagic 777. Excellent for removing dirt from old wrinkled leather, vinyl, plastic. Also good for spots on carpets.
A2Z : Eagle One A2Z all-wheel cleaner. A spray-on, hose off product for removal of brake dust.
AIO : Klasse All in one: paint cleaner and sealant. Does contain a very lightly abrasive polish, to remove old wax and minor swirls. Can be used with white pad and PC. Makes a great base for other products - often topped with Pinnacle Souveran.
AG: Acrylic Gloss. A Werkstatt product. http://www.jeffswerkstatt.com/index2.php
AJ: Acrylic Jett. A Werkstatt product. http://www.jeffswerkstatt.com/index2.php
APC: generic term for “all purpose cleaner”. I’ve seen this used to mean “Automagic 777 cleaner”.
AW : Aqua Wax. A spray wax by Duragloss. Http://www.duragloss.com
CG : Chemical Guys. See http://www.chemicalguys.com, an entire line of auto detailing supplies.
CJ: Carnauba Jett. A Werkstatt product.
CRS : CR Spotless water filtering system.
  • Removes dissolved minerals from water, so that the car can be air dried without water spotting.
DAP : Dual Action Polisher.
  • Also called “random orbital buffer” (ROB). The Porter-Cable 7424 is the most popular model used for auto detailing that fits in this category.
DG : Duragloss. An entire line of interior and exterior auto detailing products. Http://www.duragloss.com
FGPC : Duragloss Fiberglass Polish & Cleaner. duragloss.com
Fx :
  1. Mother's FX tire shine. Mother's Fx Tire Shine
  2. Also could mean Mother's Fx Synwax -a synthetic sealant.
IPA : isopropyl alcohol.
  • Also known as common "rubbing alcohol", available at any drugstore as a 70% solution. Used as a wipe-down after some polishes and cleaners to remove oils and dirt, and provide a clean surface on which to apply a sealant. Detailers often dilute 50/50 with water in a spray bottle to clean the surface after polishing.
LC : Lake Country. The most popular line of foam pads for the Porter Cable (random orbital) machine.
LSP: Last step product.
  • A term used to mean “wax or sealant", and to distinguish that product from other products that you use as first, second, third steps, like compounds, polishes, and glazes. LSP can also be used to mean a carnauba wax that you apply over a sealant - whatever you use as the final step.
Megs : Meguiar's
MIP: Menzerna Intensive Polish, for swirl mark removal.
  • More abrasive than MFP-II, best used with orange light cutting pad and PC7424.
MFP-II : Menzerna Final Polish II : for final paint polishing, used with white pad and PC7424.
  • Normally the final polishing step after surface defects have been removed with MIP.
NXT: Meguiar’s NXT synthetic polymer sealant.
  • Has some light cleaning properties, so cannot truly be layered, but has the advantage that it will clean some contaminants and dirt from the surface as it is being applied.
OCW : Optimum Car Wax
OTC :
  • Over The Counter - meaning any product found at usual stores: Autozone, NAPA, Kmart, Walmart (Meguiar's, Mothers). As distiguished from the products used by serious detailers that are generally available only by direct purchase or internet order (Zaino, Pinnacle).
PB's : Poorboy's : makers of an entire line of detailing products.
PB NB : Poorboy's Natty's Blue. A paste wax.
PB SnG : Poorboy's Spray and Gloss quick detailer spray.
PB SnW : Poorboy's Spray and Wipe. A waterless wash product. http://www.autogeek.net/pbsaw16.html
PC : Porter Cable 7424, or Porter Cable 7336 random orbital buffer.
PG : Menzerna Power Gloss.
  • Menzerna abrasive polish with double the cutting power of Menzerna intensive polish, according to the manufacturer. Rated 8/10 for aggressiveness on the chart at properautocare
PO106FF : Menzerna's newer polish, less aggressive than intensive polish (MIP).
  • "Designed to remove very fine (3000 grit) swirls and blemishes."
PS : Pinnacle Souveran. Expensive but reputed as highest quality carnauba wax product available.
QEW : Protectall's Quck and Easy Wash. A waterless washing fluid that allows you to wash in the garage, and without a hose. http://www.protectall.com.
RIDS : Random Isolated Deep Scratches.
RMG: Red Moose Machine Glaze. A chemical paint cleaner, no claimed abrasives. See autogeek.net for more info.
ROB: Random Orbital Buffer.
  • By default, usually means the Porter-Cable 7424, the model used by most detailers. Also known as "Dual Action Polisher".
Rotary : Pure rotary buffer, which simply spins the pad in a circle.
  • Produces much more heat on the paint than a ROB, and therefore is much more aggressive, much more effective at removing paint defects, but carries a risk of causing buffer holograms, and of burning the paint. These problems are impossible with a ROB.
SG:
  • Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze. A synthetic sealant.
  • Also rarely used to mean "Simple Green", a general purpose cleaner that is good for wheels, engine bay, wheel wells.
TPP : Duragloss Total Performance Polish. Http://www.duragloss.com.
UPP: Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection. Sealant.
VM : Vanilla Moose, made by ClearKote, this is a cleaner/wax product. See http://www.pakshak.com
WOWO: Wipe on / wipe off.
Z1, Z6, Z8, etc ..: Zaino line of products - see list below.

General Definitions by Killrwheels, expanded by myself. Definitely a little confusing, especially giving that some manufacturers use the term loosely to try and differentiate their product from the rest. Once you get to the true design of the product, you can easily fit it into one of several categories:

Wax -- a natural protectant (pretty much always using the wax from the carnauba tree in Brazil) to protect a finish. Examples:[list][*]Meguiar's #26,[*]Pinnacle Souveran,[*]Mother's Reflections.

Sealant -- a man made or synthetic sealant that is designed to mimic a wax and protect a finish. Waxes are natural sealants that contain carnauba wax. Other purely manmade sealants that do not contain wax include Meguiar's NXT, Zaino, Rejex, Wolfgang High Gloss Sealant.

Paint Cleaner -- a chemical based paint cleaner used to remove surface dirt and grime from the paint. Typically used on very good to show-quality paint when an abrasive is not needed.

Polish -- An abrasive liquid used to remove paint defects such as scratches and swirl marks, and to jewel a paints finish. Different degree's of aggressiveness (also called “cut”) are based on a how badly the surface is damaged. Usually a more aggressive polish is used first with an orange pad and PC, followed by less aggressive, glossing polish with the white pad (finishing pad). Examples:
  • Menzerna Intensive Polish with orange light cutting pad, PC speed 5 - 6, then Menzerna Final Polish II with white finishing pad, PC speed 5.
  • 3M #39002 then 3M #39009.

Glaze -- a liquid used to temporarily hide or "fill" the swirls and scratched in a finish. Has no protection benefits, and needs to be protected almost immediately or will start to disintegrate. 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. Meguiar's #7 Glaze.

3M Product Numbers
#39002 Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound, Fine Cut. Medium-abrasive polish. Removes 1200 grit sanding scratches, oxidation, swirl marks, and water spots. Can be used by hand or by machine. Should be followed by 39009, or Imperial Hand Glaze to further gloss the finish.
#39003 3M Finesse-It II Machine Polish. Made for use with orbital buffer (PC).
#39006 3M One Step Cleaner Wax. Removes surface dirt or very light swirl marks and protects finish with wax layer.
#39007 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. Paint glossing agents to add shine and hide fine scratches. No abrasives– cannot remove paint defects, but hides them. Offers no paint protection, so should be topped with 3M paste wax.
#39009 Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover for Dark Cars (red, black). Contains no waxes or silicones. Less abrasive than 39002, it is usually used after the main paint defects have been polished away by 39002.
#39026 3M Perfect-It Show Car Liquid Wax
#39034 3M Perfect-It Gloss Enhancer. Used as a quick detailer with 3M wax.
#39109 3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover for Light Paints. Like #39009, but for silver, white, yellow, or metallic finishes. Light abrasive, usually used after 39002 has removed the major scratches.
#39526 3M Perfect-It Show Car Paste Wax.

Meguiar’s Product Numbers
#00 Meguiar's Hi-Tech Wash.
#1 Meguiar's Medium-Cut Cleaner. Highly aggressive cleaner for scratches and other damage.
#2 Meguiar's Fine-Cut Cleaner. Medium aggressive cleaner for fine cuts and minor scratches.
#3 Meguiar's Machine Glaze. Polish for conventional paint.
#4 Meguiar's Heavy-Cut Cleaner. Most aggressive cleaner (last resort!).
#5 Meguiar's New Car Glaze.
#6 Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax.
#7 Meguiar's Show Car Glaze.
#9 Meguiar's Swirl Remover 2.0. Least aggressive cleaner for removing contaminants and swirls .
#10 Meguiar's Clear Plastic Polish.
#16 Meguiar's Professional Paste Wax. For conventional paint.
#17 Meguiar's Clear Plastic Cleaner
#18 Meguiar's Clear Plastic Detailer
#20 Meguiar's Polymer Sealant
#21 Synthetic Sealant - from the professional, "Mirror Glaze" line.
#26 Meguiar's Hi-Tech Yellow Wax. Carnauba wax, comes in paste or liquid.
#34 FI Meguiar's Final Inspection. Spray-on, wipe-off touchup. Higher gloss, more expensive than quick detailer (#66)
#36 Meguiar's Hi-Tech Cleaner. For wheels.
#38 Meguiar's Tire & Trim Dressing Gel
#39 Meguiar's Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner. For rubber and Vinyl.
#40 Meguiar's Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner.
#62 Meguiar's Car Wash Shampoo and Conditioner. In concentrate form.
#66 Meguiar's Quick Detailer.
#80 MSG Meguiar's Speed Glaze.
#81 HP Meguiar's Body Shop Professional Hand Polish.
#82 SFP Meguiar's Body Shop Professional Swirl Free Polish.
#83 DACP Meguiar's Dual Action Cleaner/Polish.
#84 Compound Power Cleaner.
#85 Diamond Cut Compound.
#96 Medallion Premium Leather Cleaner.
#97 MPPC Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner.
#98 MPPP Medallion Premium Paint Polish.

Zaino Product Numbers
Z1 Show Car Polish Lok. Obsolete now that ZFx available. Meant to be used before the first coat of Z5 or Z2 to help the sealant’s adhesion and cross-linking.
Z2 Pro Sealant for clear coated finishes.
Z3 Sealant for standard, non-clear coated paints
Z5 Sealant with very light fillers to conceal swirl marks and fine scratches
Z6 Gloss enhancer spray. Used between coats of Z2 or Z5, can also be used as a quick detailer.
Z7 Car wash
Z8 Grand Finale Final Spray Seal. Used after the final coat of Z2 or Z5. Will further enhance gloss and depth. Best results observed the next morning after application.
Z9 Leather Soft Spray Cleaner
Z10 Leather in a Bottle
Z12 Clear-View Glass Polish.
Z14 Plastic Magic Cleaner & Polish
Z16 Perfect Tire Gloss. Water-based tire dressing. Provides satin sheen, but not high reflective gloss.
Z18 Clay bar. For removing stuck-on contaminants and dirt from paint surface that cannot be removed by washing alone.

Last edited by bugman; 05-04-2007 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:41 AM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by jabez; 05-11-2006 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:30 AM
supercoolsix
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks!!! TTT

+1 for Sticky!!
Old 05-11-2006, 08:58 AM
RAGOVET
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

Moderator should permanently post this at the top....
Old 05-11-2006, 09:30 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Nice work.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:44 AM
CoastalRAP
Safety Car

WOW!! That's great, thanks for doing all that work
Old 05-11-2006, 10:23 AM
SMR 67
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 05-11-2006, 10:42 AM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Oustanding post bugman
Old 05-11-2006, 11:31 AM
KidCid
Burning Brakes

CI 7-8 Veteran

Wow, excellent collection of information. This really needs to be a sticky.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:19 AM
50yrzo6
Instructor

Dang, if I lived in DE I'd buy you a beer! Really nice of you to go to all the work to put that together. Many thanks, I found it very helpful.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Dream C-5
Racer

Thanks for setting that up

Fred
Old 05-12-2006, 12:13 PM
easyrider13
Melting Slicks

Thanks for trhe useful listing.

You might want to add:

Meguiar's #21 Synthetic Sealant

http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-liquid-...thetic-Sealant
Old 05-12-2006, 01:44 PM
FIDOauto
Pro

bugman I dont know what you do but you are made for this business....

I applaud your efforts sir.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Allzwell
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by Dream C-5
Thanks for setting that up

Fred

Thanks - good reference list
Old 05-12-2006, 01:52 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by easyrider13
Thanks for trhe useful listing.

You might want to add:

Meguiar's #21 Synthetic Sealant

http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-liquid-...thetic-Sealant

Excellent -- thanks for noticing -- I'll get on it tonight and update the PDF file etc.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:57 PM
Paixao
Instructor

Default Thanks Again BUGMAN,,,

it is always good to enter this section and read what you have to say ,,
thanks again for the time and effort that you always put foward for the forum members .
Old 05-12-2006, 10:17 PM
GeorgieMporgie
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Great post Bugman.

Where in the world do you get the time for this stuff? I've been trying apply some Zaino on my c5 for a month.

Maybe you could do a post on time management.

Get notified of new replies

To Detailing Acronyms

Old 05-13-2006, 01:47 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

hey- greatly appreciate the comments

Originally Posted by GeorgieMporgie
Where in the world do you get the time for this stuff?
I don't sleep. Like all of you guys, I should be doing 100 other things, but I'd rather be here or working on my car. So I'm lousy at my job, but always learning new things about cars and bikes

Hey -- I'll keep updating this as new things come across - so send me a pm, or post in this thread, if there's something you think is missing. I appreciate your help - a nice little project.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:39 AM
C5 RACNG
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

excellent info, very helpful
thanks for taking the time
Old 05-14-2006, 03:28 PM
oak3x
Burning Brakes

Thanks Bugman...very helpful list. Many of the Acronyms I knew, but some I was a bit off.

Quick Reply: Detailing Acronyms