Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Is Zaino really that good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2001, 10:49 PM
JWSchmidt3
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is Zaino really that good? (JWSchmidt3)

Okay, now that I've cooled down a little, I can continue here. Let me first qualify something: I have and will never be against Zaino, just to be against it. I want the best product money can buy for my car, period. I have actually found Zaino to be an excellent product on dark and/or metallic cars. The reflective properties seem to do a better job with those type of colors/types. I just got through doing the following for my test:

Left side of hood: Zaino - Z1, Z5, 3 coats of Z2 with Z6 between each coat, letting each coat sit over night.

Right side of hood: 1 coat of Meguiar's Gold Class by hand, sit for an hour and 1 coat of Meguiar's #7 (without taking off the Gold) with an electric polisher. Sit over night and finish off with Formula 113. I've used both Formula 113 & Z6 here, with the same results, but for this test, I used Formula 113.

Both sides: I washed the car with Zaino car wash. I have used both Zaino & Meguiar's here, and see no difference.

Results: It's been raining, so none of the pics I took show any great detail because of the cloudiness. If the sun comes out, I'll take some more and post them. But, the biggest difference is quite noticeable close-up. The Meguiar's shows a very glossy, hard shine while the Zaino seemed like a very clear layer, which had very little "extra" shine from what a bare, clear coat paint normally has. The furthur away from the car I got, the better the Zaino looks, eventually equalling the Meguiar's from about 35-40 feet. The Zaino appears to do no more than just put a clear coat layer on top of whatever is there, while the Meguiar's actually seems to "clean" and hide the natural imperfections in the paint, especially close up. For a daily driver like mine, this is important. Many people will argue durability. Since I enjoy detailing my car, I don't mind doing this once a month and the shine "will" last between washes. After every wash, I throw on detail spray. I've never actually not detailed my car for more than a month, so I have no idea how long the Meguiar's is good for. I show my car and do many events, so I prefer for the car to look it's best at all times. I'm not trying to convince anybody this works, I'm just sharing techniques that work for me. As you can see, I still use various Zaino products. The tire gloss is awesome, as is the leather cleaner. I hope someone gets something out of this, because I put a lot of work in doing this test. The differences are not that noticeable, unless you do it to your own. It's like you notice if you lose 5 pounds, but no one else does. That's the kind of difference there is. Feel free to post any furthur questions/comments that you have. If the weather gets better, I'll post a sunshine comparison. Thanks.

[Modified by JWSchmidt3, 8:52 PM 8/29/2001]
Old 08-29-2001, 10:52 PM
Ram Air Tony
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Is Zaino really that good? (JWSchmidt3)

ROFLMAO !!!!

as we have killed beer together, i wont jump yo foot as i still consider you a friend, a hot headed one, but still a friend

and you are right, i will move this s h i t to the car care section

no need for this here

R
A
T
Old 08-29-2001, 10:57 PM
C5 in 2002
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Is Zaino really that good? (Ram Air Tony)

I want to take a Museum delivery on my C5 Convertible in about six or eight months, I'm just worried about driving it that far with out getting Zaino on it first, I have never used it yet. how long would it take to get a good coat on before the drive back?
:confused: :D :D :D
Old 08-29-2001, 11:17 PM
JWSchmidt3
Race Director

Default Re: Is Zaino really that good? (Ram Air Tony)

and you are right, i will move this s h i t to the car care section

no need for this here

R
A
T
Gee, imagine that, you move the post with my comments (which are not Zaino favored) and you leave the other 3 Zaino topics in C5 Gen. Disc. :rolleyes:
Old 08-30-2001, 09:27 AM
QWK SLVR
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Is Zaino really that good? (C5 in 2002)

Just spray some Z6 on the nose and mirrors. It will help when you wipe the bugs off.

Then get ready to spend the day with your baby at home doing the whole nine yards from Dawn, CLay all the way through. It was worth it.
Old 08-30-2001, 05:08 PM
JWSchmidt3
Race Director

Default Re: Is Zaino really that good? (QWK SLVR)

Here's the continued conversation along with the test results:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=142465
Old 08-31-2001, 10:15 AM
TxAg99
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Is Zaino really that good? (c5rose)

No... It's better than good! :jester
Old 08-31-2001, 01:20 PM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Is Zaino really that good? (c5rose)

Is Zaino really that good?

Nah...its great.

I hope Zaino doesn't get much bigger.
I love the way my vette's shine stands out in a vette crowd. :jester :chevy :cheers: :blueangel: ;) :seeya

Quick Reply: Is Zaino really that good?