Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Personal Zaino vs Meguiar's test

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2001, 11:01 PM
JWSchmidt3
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Personal Zaino vs Meguiar's test

Let me first qualify something: I have and will never be against Zaino, just to be against it. I want the best product money can buy for my car, period. I have actually found Zaino to be an excellent product on dark and/or metallic cars. The reflective properties seem to do a better job with those type of colors/types. I just got through doing the following for my test:
Left side of hood: Zaino - Z1, Z5, 3 coats of Z2 with Z6 between each coat, letting each coat sit over night.

Right side of hood: 1 coat of Meguiar's Gold Class by hand, sit for an hour and 1 coat of Meguiar's #7 (without taking off the Gold) with an electric polisher. Sit over night and finish off with Formula 113. I've used both Formula 113 & Z6 here, with the same results, but for this test, I used Formula 113.

Both sides: I washed the car with Zaino car wash. I have used both Zaino & Meguiar's here, and see no difference.

Results: It's been raining, so none of the pics I took show any great detail because of the cloudiness. If the sun comes out, I'll take some more and post them. But, the biggest difference is quite noticeable close-up. The Meguiar's shows a very glossy, hard shine while the Zaino seemed like a very clear layer, which had very little "extra" shine from what a bare, clear coat paint normally has. The furthur away from the car I got, the better the Zaino looks, eventually equalling the Meguiar's from about 35-40 feet. The Zaino appears to do no more than just put a clear coat layer on top of whatever is there, while the Meguiar's actually seems to "clean" and hide the natural imperfections in the paint, especially close up. For a daily driver like mine, this is important. Many people will argue durability. Since I enjoy detailing my car, I don't mind doing this once a month and the shine "will" last between washes. After every wash, I throw on detail spray. I've never actually not detailed my car for more than a month, so I have no idea how long the Meguiar's is good for. I show my car and do many events, so I prefer for the car to look it's best at all times. I'm not trying to convince anybody this works, I'm just sharing techniques that work for me. As you can see, I still use various Zaino products. The tire gloss is awesome, as is the leather cleaner. I hope someone gets something out of this, because I put a lot of work in doing this test. The differences are not that noticeable, unless you do it to your own. It's like you notice if you lose 5 pounds, but no one else does. That's the kind of difference there is. Feel free to post any furthur questions/comments that you have. If the weather gets better, I'll post a sunshine comparison. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2001, 11:18 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Default Re: Personal Zaino vs Meguiar's test (JWSchmidt3)

What is the Formula 113 product you are using, the detail spray or the polish?
Old 08-29-2001, 11:26 PM
JWSchmidt3
Race Director

Default Re: Personal Zaino vs Meguiar's test (KLO)

What is the Formula 113 product you are using, the detail spray or the polish?
The detail spray, even though I don't think it lasts much more than a week and definately not between washes, but which one's do.

[Modified by JWSchmidt3, 10:42 PM 9/4/2001]
Old 08-29-2001, 11:39 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When i did my meguiar's vs zaino test, they looked the same
when i z5'd, the zaino really blew away the meguiars
the meguairs got a lot dirtier a lot faster, and didn't last.

On yellow.. I dunno. I'm not surprised it looked the same. Doesn't Meguiars Wax "yellow"?

Anyway, if I ever get a yellow car, i'll be sure to try Meguiars and see how it looks

[Modified by Smash, 9:42 PM 8/29/2001]

[Modified by Smash, 9:48 PM 8/29/2001]
Old 08-30-2001, 12:37 AM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Default Re: Personal Zaino vs Meguiar's test (Smash)

I did the same test minus #7 on my trunk lid and found the shine was identical. However, the shine lost its luster within a few days compared to Z. Maybe #7 is the trick to keeping the shine.

Joel
Old 08-30-2001, 12:50 AM
silversport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not to get you to change anything that works for you JWSchmidt3 and you certainly have been helpful to me and my questions in the past but have you tried Meguiar's Medallion??? I always found that to be better than the Gold Class, for me and maybe because of its "non-carnuba" base it would last longer.
I did a similar test with Zaino and with my much loved Meguiar's...I have posted on this as it was going on. I own a '99 Pontiac Bonneville and a '01 Vette Coupe...both the same paint code from GM--Galaxy Silver Metallic and Quicksilver.
My tests seem similar to yours...The Zaino has been "wrapped in clear" and is VERY slick while my Meguiar's seemed a bit "brighter" but not as slick.
Possibly the angles of the two vehicles but the test for me continues. I am waiting for longevity in the protection.
For me, the Zaino went on easier than the Meguiar's but Like you, the work never bothered me because I find it therapuetic as well as loving the outcome, detailing my cars.
I, for one, appreciate your responses to others and use what you say, others on Zaino as inside information then I test it to see what works best for me.
I am sure the "Zaino Difference" would be better on darker colors (although someone has a verrry black SS Camaro) but for my Quicksilver, the jury is still out.
I STILL LIKE BOTH PRODUCTS (I know, I know...kinda like being a Cubs AND Sox fan...if your from Chicago, you KNOW what I mean)
:D :cool: :cheers: :chevy
Old 08-30-2001, 01:29 AM
JWSchmidt3
Race Director

Default Re: Personal Zaino vs Meguiar's test (silversport)

Really, the only thing the Gold Class does is fill the swirls, which Zaino does not do very well at all. The #7 is a glaze, and is designed to bring out that luster/shine.
Old 08-30-2001, 01:40 AM
KLO
Safety Car

Default Zaino on light colored cars does work for some

This was posted today on http://www.ls1.com by an owner of a pewter car who used Zaino for the first time:

"I'm F-ing amazed.

Why did I listen to the idiot that said it wouldn't make a difference on Pewter?

It's funny, if you read the instructions it sounds like alot of work, but really isn't.

1. I washed the car.
2. Clayed the whole car.
3. Washed it again quickly
4. Dried the car
5. Applied Z1 and Z2 to entire car.
6. Waited.
7. Drank a beer.
8. Took it off.
9. Washed car with z7
10. Used z6.

The parts that amazed me were how much gunk came off with the clay, and how easy it was to apply the z1 and z2. after reading the docs about super thin coats I thought it would be a PITA.... but it was effortless actually.

Now my rear bumper is smooth like glass, like the rest of the car.

Thanks for answering my questions before guys. "

------------------

Old 08-30-2001, 01:58 AM
JWSchmidt3
Race Director

Default Re: Zaino on light colored cars does work for some (KLO)

This was posted today on http://www.ls1.com by an owner of a pewter car who used Zaino for the first time:
Let me restate this again: This is/was a test for light, non-metallic colors. I've seen a Mag Red and a NBM with Zaino and they looked awesome. If I had any other color besides Yellow (or maybe white), I'd probably love Zaino.

[Modified by JWSchmidt3, 11:58 PM 8/29/2001]
Old 08-30-2001, 01:58 AM
silversport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JWSchmidt3:
Do you use the Gold Class cleaner??? Was that what you were talking about?
I used Medallion Cleaner, Tan Bottle Swirl Remover (5), Tan Bottle Show Car Glaze (7), followed off by Medallion Polish/Protectant...I found the Show Car Glaze really made the color SIZZLE but it still needs protecting...I prefer Medallion Protectant over Gold Class...as I say, the jury is still out on which I prefer.
I did find that for me, Zaino went on easier, came off easier and left no residue behind.
I also found that for daily drivers at least, Meguiar's will take off the road grime missed by washing and left a shine that to me was as nice or nicer.
STILL...the jury is still out. :yesnod: :chevy
Old 08-30-2001, 02:05 AM
JWSchmidt3
Race Director

Default Re: Personal Zaino vs Meguiar's test (silversport)

These are the Meguiar's products I used:

Old 08-30-2001, 03:54 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is JW not allowed to like Meguiars over Zaino? Cmon guys
Old 08-30-2001, 09:17 AM
0Zaino Bros (Sal)
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-08-'09

Default Re: Personal Zaino vs Meguiar's test (Smash)

I agree with Smash... JW is entitled to his opinion.

Sometimes Zaino zealots tend to get overwhelming... :boxing

However, the phenomena you are witnessing are hardcore car enthusiasts
using a superior product. A product that finally delivers exactly what
they've been searching for... :cool: Incredible high gloss, perfect
optical clarity and color enhancement, no abrasives, no silicone oils
and fantastic 4 to 6 month durability factor.

Zaino creates an enthusiam they want to share with their fellow Corvette
owners and forum members. Unfortunately they sometimes tend to be overzealous and
almost cult like.:boxing

JW... I'm sorry Zaino did not work for you... :confused:

Polish/Wax, especially shine & gloss is very subjective and a matter of personal preference...

Use what you like and have fun... :cool:

And to all my fellow Zainoites...:cheers:. Thank you for your continuing support... I really
appreciate it and I couldn't have done it without you..

I will always strive to manufacture the best products in the industry.

Enjoy...

P.S. The new Zaino product should be released within the next month or so please
bear with me... it will be well worth the wait... ;)

[Modified by Zaino Bros (Sal), 7:26 AM 8/30/2001]
Old 08-30-2001, 09:20 AM
QWK SLVR
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Personal Zaino vs Meguiar's test (Zaino Bros (Sal))

You are a class act Sal. :cheers:
Old 08-30-2001, 09:22 AM
QWK SLVR
Le Mans Master

Interesting post. I wonder what it would be like with 2-3 more coats of Z2/Z6?

I'll also be curious to see how it looks in the sun. My QS is like a mirror in the sun.
Old 08-30-2001, 12:37 PM
68Stang
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So, Sal, will this new Zaino turn my GT into a Vette? Because I thought after over 70 coats, that I would be there... :p: :rolleyes: :cool: :D
Old 08-30-2001, 02:37 PM
JWSchmidt3
Race Director

Sal, thank you for your comments, but I'm curious why you didn't address the issue here?? Why Zaino doesn't do on Yellow like it does on every other color (except maybe white). Will your new product be better with light/non-metallic colors. I have spoken to 4 other white/yellow Vette owners who have tried Zaino and found Meguiar's worked better also. I'd love to use Zaino, but I have to use what works best on "my" car. The 30 foot shine is great with Zaino, but the 3-5 foot test just doesn't pass the grade. If you have any special secrets, please let me know. I've followed the Zaino instructions to the "t" so please don't give me this "you didn't do it right" bs. And all of you with dark/metallic colors who keep praising Zaino, read my damn post and quit commenting on how Zaino is so awesome on your car, I know already. This is about ZAINO ON YELLOW or light/non-metallic colors!! Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Personal Zaino vs Meguiar's test

Old 08-30-2001, 02:50 PM
QWK SLVR
Le Mans Master

Heh-heh. JW you sure do take the direct approach, don't ya :lol:

That's cool by me. I wonder if the optics with Zaino are too good? Other stuff might "mask" imperfections? Really not sure. I have always agreed, or thought, that from a pure shine persepctive, it was difficult if not impossible to tell the difference. Durability and maintenace ease are big sellers. But, you detail frequently so durability may be less important.

Use what works. I'm also curious though to understand why the results on anyother color seem so obvious :confused: I've seen folks with white cars say that it looks white again instead of a having a little, hard to detect. yellow haze.

Hey wait! Maybe that has something to do with it?

The Zaino appears to do no more than just put a clear coat layer on top of whatever is there, while the Meguiar's actually seems to "clean" and hide the natural imperfections in the paint, especially close up.
Makes sense at some level. Polish=no abrasives/cleaners. It would (should) go on top as just a clear layer.

Also, not flaming here, but why is it impossible that you didn't do it %100 perfectly? Are you saying that you couldn't possibly have done it any better because you followed the instructions closely? Not suggesting that this would make a diffeence, but claiming to be an expert on try one is sorta :bs

Thank you for taking the time for the experiment and showing the results. I'll be curious as to what else we find out.

[Modified by QWK SLVR, 1:52 PM 8/30/2001] :yesnod:

[Modified by QWK SLVR, 1:54 PM 8/30/2001]
Old 08-30-2001, 03:03 PM
EricJ
Pro

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I have a Yellow 96 that had Meguiars gold class wax on it and it looked very good. I then washed it with Dawn twice to remove the wax then I followed with the Z7, Z1, Z2, Z6, Z2 and then Z6 again and I must say it has a much deeper shine. It looks more like a sheet of glass, very wet and deep no matter if I am 1 foot away or 30 feet away. The Meguiars had a nice shine but it looked layered not deep and wet. I do not believe Zaino's product works any different on a dark color than it does on a light color. I know of a few forum member who have light (even yellow) colored cars who like Zaino over Meguiars. The real difference is personal taste, you like Meguiars and I like Zaino and there is nothing wrong with that. There is one thing I think we can all agree on, Corvettes are :cool: !!

Save the :seeya
Old 08-30-2001, 03:04 PM
JWSchmidt3
Race Director

Default Re: Personal Zaino vs Meguiar's test (QWK SLVR)

Also, not flaming here, but why is it impossible that you didn't do it %100 perfectly? Are you saying that you couldn't possibly have done it any better because you followed the instructions closely? Not suggesting that this would make a diffeence, but claiming to be an expert on try one is sorta :bs
My intention was not to come across an a Zaino expert, just that I did use Zaino for 9 months, and for this test, I applied the Zaino exactly as the instructions suggest. And yes, I do prefer the dirct approach. ;)

Quick Reply: Personal Zaino vs Meguiar's test