Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

what polish to use on CCW wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 09:13 AM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default what polish to use on CCW wheels?

Hey guys, just bought a set of CCW Street classic wheels from off the forum, they came to me pretty dirty, so i want to put a nice polish on them and clean em up. Its a black centered wheel, so i only need to worry about the outside lip.

Any suggestions as far as a good polish? I have used NeverDull, the cotton candy looking polish, but that is taking for ever since i take small amounts. i need a liquid kinda polish on a applicator pad so it covers a larger surface area..know what i mean? Any body use a good polish that sorta lasts a while???

thanks in advance!
Aj
Old 07-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

try the car care section they can probably help you out
Old 07-18-2006, 09:27 AM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1 BAD BURB
Hey guys, just bought a set of CCW Street classic wheels from off the forum, they came to me pretty dirty, so i want to put a nice polish on them and clean em up. Its a black centered wheel, so i only need to worry about the outside lip.

Any suggestions as far as a good polish? I have used NeverDull, the cotton candy looking polish, but that is taking for ever since i take small amounts. i need a liquid kinda polish on a applicator pad so it covers a larger surface area..know what i mean? Any body use a good polish that sorta lasts a while???

thanks in advance!
Aj
I'm not sure if there is a quick and effective way to quickly polish wheels "Polished Wheels". You have to remove that oxidation or whatever it is that makes the wheels look crappy. If you have polished wheel without clearcoating, your best bet is to use Mothers Billet Polish. There are other Billet polishes out there but IMO, nothing gets a polished wheel back to day one like the Billet polishes. I use them on my HRE's. Ther are also lots of wheel products that you must stay away from with polished wheels because over time they will ruin them so be carefull.

BTW, I have tried never dull on a small section of my HRE's and was not impressed, atleast not compared ot what the Billet polish did. Later someone told me that I shouldnt even use NEVER DULL on my polished HRE's

Bottom line is it takes time and work to clean polished wheels, unless there is some new quick oxidant-removing product out there which I would be very interested to hear about
Old 07-18-2006, 10:03 AM
teagueO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard Flitz is a good product. Not sure about on wheels though?
Old 07-18-2006, 10:39 AM
mqqn
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'11

Hi 1 Bad -

My direct experience - Mothers Billet Polish.

works better than anything I have tried.

best regards -

mqqn
Old 07-18-2006, 11:15 AM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

thanks guys, guess im making a trip to the auto store for some mothers billet polish! appreciate the quick responses!!!

Any other brands people use and are happy with???
Aj
Old 07-18-2006, 11:45 AM
EFI-4
Instructor

Do yourself a favor and invest in a Mothers Powerball.
Put this on the end of your cordless drill and apply Mothers Powermetal polish. Buff rims until clean. Follow up with a coat of Zaino Z2 to keep them clean.
This is how I clean my CCWs, and it takes a fraction of the time versus doing them by hand.
Also, Mothers Billet polish works well on CCWs.
HTH.

Steve
Old 07-18-2006, 12:29 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

thanks guys, guess im making a trip to the auto store for some mothers billet polish! appreciate the quick responses!!!

Any other brands people use and are happy with???
Aj
make sure you get proper instructions on how to apply this. When the product first came out a couple of years ago, the instructions on the jar were poor. I called Craig, a chemist at mothers, and he gave me clear insructions on the proper way to use it
Old 07-18-2006, 02:59 PM
edensknight
Race Director

Originally Posted by EFI-4
Do yourself a favor and invest in a Mothers Powerball.
Put this on the end of your cordless drill and apply Mothers Powermetal polish. Buff rims until clean. Follow up with a coat of Zaino Z2 to keep them clean.
This is how I clean my CCWs, and it takes a fraction of the time versus doing them by hand.
Also, Mothers Billet polish works well on CCWs.
HTH.

Steve
Powerball is the $h!t!
Old 07-18-2006, 03:50 PM
jrc27
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

The powerball blows
Old 07-18-2006, 05:09 PM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Mark's C5TT:
what exactly is the correct way to apply this???

I thought about a Mother Polish ball, but being that only the edge of the wheel is polished, i see no use in buying the thing. I can manage to do the edge once a month or so... but yea, if i had the whole wheel, that powerball would definitly be the way to go!

Thanks again guys!!!
Aj
Old 07-18-2006, 05:36 PM
Wt99C5
Burning Brakes

I use Simichrome and a buffing wheel attached to my drill.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:39 PM
JUSTIFIED C5
Racer

Default Nice!!

Aj, Congrats on the wheels!!! I ordered some ccw's last week, won't be here for a couple of weeks. Thanks for the response on the garage! I used mothers liquid polish or meguairs nxt polish that is a past style. I like them both very much. Do yourself a favor and get the power ball and a fast drill, then you can get a real good shine. Congrats again!

Ryan

Oh yeah, were running the chassis dyno this year at Car Craft, stop by if you go.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:54 PM
99mallett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: The line waiting to see Santa Claus stretched all the way back to Terre Haute, and I was at the end, Indiana
Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I have used several types. The Flitz system seems to work best on polished wheels (I've used it on custom bikes mostly). I have sold it now for a couple of years in my shop. The Flitz ball is soft and does a great job. I have a Mothers too, and it doesn't do as well. It works great on chrome wheels too.

To apply it I just put a little on my finger and smear it on.

Last edited by 99mallett; 07-18-2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:07 PM
PJW001
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wt99C5
I use Simichrome and a buffing wheel attached to my drill.

I use simichrome on my KZ 1000 aluminum wheels and the wheels on my 4 runner which are also aluminum.

Simichrome removes all built up oxidation and leaves a protective finish. However I would not use this on chrome wheels or wheels that are clear coated because it has a very mild abrasive that assists with oxidation removal.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:54 PM
keith954
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06, '13

Originally Posted by mqqn
Hi 1 Bad -

My direct experience - Mothers Billet Polish.

works better than anything I have tried.

best regards -

mqqn
Old 07-19-2006, 12:56 AM
Face
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mother's Billet here also. Works better than simichrome, flitz, etc..

Get notified of new replies

To what polish to use on CCW wheels?

Old 07-19-2006, 07:44 AM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Thanks guys!!!
GREAT ADVICE! i ended up buying the Mothers Billet polish AND the mini power ball!

I hand applied the polish, as i wanted to see a difference over the Never Dull. They basically turned out the same, but i did a wheel in half the time with the Billet Polish. But it went on easy and came off easy and looked BLING! i absolutely love it. I will be doing the other two rims tonight with the power ball and hit up the first 2 for a second polishing with the ball... should look awesome!

Thank you again guys! another great advice thread for me!!!
Aj
Old 07-19-2006, 02:17 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PJW001

I use simichrome on my KZ 1000 aluminum wheels and the wheels on my 4 runner which are also aluminum.

Simichrome removes all built up oxidation and leaves a protective finish. However I would not use this on chrome wheels or wheels that are clear coated because it has a very mild abrasive that assists with oxidation removal.
This was one of the first products I looked at but HRE told me not use this on their polished wheels. Chrome wheels yes, but not their polished ones. I dont recall why but i remember buying it from a Harley place and then HRE said not to use it so I had to return it ot the Harley store.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:32 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Mark's C5TT:
what exactly is the correct way to apply this???

I thought about a Mother Polish ball, but being that only the edge of the wheel is polished, i see no use in buying the thing. I can manage to do the edge once a month or so... but yea, if i had the whole wheel, that powerball would definitly be the way to go!

Thanks again guys!!!
Aj
from what I remember how Craig from Mothers explained it, you take a small micro fiber cloth (not a cotton cloth, it will leave scratches!) and apply a small amount to one small sectioin of the wheel. You start rubbing in a circular motion until you see black (Black is the oxidation) appearing on the cloth. The more black, the more oxidatin you remove. When done with that section, then buff and move on to the next section.

I dont know if there are other methods. I've never used the polish ball. The work and time though is all in the rubbing. This what takes the time. I dont do it often. One time I went several months without polishing and the billet polish made them look brand new! I couldnt beieve the resultsl. But it took me like 1 hr per each wheel. I did it on a weekend. 2 wheels in the mornig and 2 wheels in the very early evening. I wish there was a quicker way.

Also, regardless of protection claims, oxidaton is the number 1 problem for polished wheels and no protection wil prvent that.

Quick Reply: what polish to use on CCW wheels?