Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Vinegar to remove Acid Rain

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Stonecutter908
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vinegar to remove Acid Rain

I have read a couple threads on here as well as other car sites about using vinegar to remove acid rain spots.

Has anyone seriously seen this through and had luck with it? On a black car?

Last edited by Stonecutter908; 08-09-2006 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:49 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Vinegar works well on fresh waterspots because it neutralizes the minerals...I'm not sure about acid rain.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:44 PM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

doesnt work...tried it.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:00 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Vinegar works well on fresh waterspots because it neutralizes the minerals...I'm not sure about acid rain.

polishing is your best bet ... and sometimes acid ran etches thru to the colored coating. It is very damaging, and very hard to stop. Keep a car well protected is the only option.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:15 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

wouldn't waste effort on vinegar - have tried it many times, no effect.
I agree with Killrwheels - when you really let the water sit on the car, even for a few days - only an abrasive will take it off.

My formula:
  • new spots - few days old = Meguiars Scratch X
  • baked in for weeks (i.e. actually etched, eroded into clearcoat) = 3m 39002 with orange pad and PC
Old 08-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by ZaneO
i always use a vinegar solution (1/2 cup white vinegar per gallon of water) after washing my black z06. i wipe each section, or panel with a saturated microfiber drying towel prior to drying. i never have a water spot problem.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:47 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Acid rain or industrial fallout 'waterspots'

Removing etched (below surface) water spots from glass--- are caused by acid rain or industrial fallout causing a chemical reaction, if left for any length of time they will etch the paint film surface leaving a concave circular mark. Etched water spots are one of the most difficult paint defects to remove so be patient as it will probably take more then one attempt to remove them.

These can usually be removed using detailer's clay to remove any hardened surface deposits and then using a mechanical type abrasive polish (Zaino ZPC Fusion) with #0000 synthetic steel wool or Iz Einzette Glas Polish, a random orbital buffer (speed # 4) and a cutting foam pad (LC orange or yellow) to level the surface.

Notes:
Do not use abrasive cleaner; glass polish or any grade synthetic steel wool on after market-tinted glass or you will probably scratch the surface.

1.For deeply etched water spots' in the glass surface, do not attempt to polish them out, consult an automotive glass vendor as glass used on later model cars is soft and thin (this may vary by manufacturer) due to weight / cost savings by vehicle manufactures and polishing could cause glass to crack.
2. Be cautious with polishes that contain abrasives like aluminium or cerium oxide as they have the potential to damage glass beyond repair.
3. Some windshields and mirrors have a tinted plastic coating or a blue tint that will scratch or be damaged, only polish or use synthetic wool on uncoated glass.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:57 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default More of a continuation of previous post

What makes acid rain 'etch' paint and / or glass sufaces-

Reactivity [: acceleration of a chemical reaction by a catalyst]
Like any chemical attacking modern high solids paint, there are some variables;
what type of clear coat, the older 1K's, 2K, or the newer 1K, colour of base coat will dictate surface temperature reactivity (acceleration of a chemical reaction by a catalyst [moisture, heat] )The higher the skin temperature of the surface, the quicker the reaction(reactivity) takes place. The percentage of humidity that is present, or dew, as an oxygen molecule will create an environment to facilitate the acids to cause damage.

Cool weather, no direct sunlight (therefore a lower surface temperature) a lighter base coat colour, sometimes it could take days or under the right conditions, the paint could be subjected to surface "etching" can take in a matter of hours.

Get notified of new replies

To Vinegar to remove Acid Rain

Quick Reply: Vinegar to remove Acid Rain