Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Meguire's product use!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Frankenvette 63
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Meguire's product use!

Been trying to decide if I want to use a power polisher on my 1978 black paint, lots of swirls and scratches. Tried a couple of Meguires polishes and waxes by hand and just didn't get the results I wanted. So I go to the Meguires forum and post my frustrations and received some advice for reading about the different polishes and waxes, and power polishers. Well, just too many products, too many uses and it became very confusing. Well, I posted some concerns on the Meguires forum, and one person recommended I buy the "How to use the PC for showcar results". I received and watched it tonight. . . amazing! Pretty much removed my fear of the process and was loaded with great information. Don't know if anyone has seen this video, or if someone has already recommended it, but I liked it. It can be purchased at www.showcargarage.com. If anyone has any experience with power polishers or would like to recommend a brand, I'm all ears!

ps. almost forgot, they polish a 60 black Vette in the video!

Last edited by Frankenvette 63; 09-01-2006 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:37 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

the video is a nice representation of what to do with the PC. Megs had one released prior, but the newer one with Mike Phillips is very easy to follow. A PC is a valid choice in car care.

http://www.autogeek.net/po.html

we have two small video's that offer some help also. Middle of the page. Thing to remember is slow and dont expect miracle results immediately. Allowing the polish and buffer to work together is the only way to enjoy nice results.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:57 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Just becareful polishing older paints, as it may be difficult to know how much paint remains.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Tazracing
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the dvd and found it infomative and got some usefull tips from it. I would recommend it to anyone who is starting out using the PC. I beleive they are going to be releasing one soon for the rotary buffer as well.
Mike and Richard did a fantastic job putting this together.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:44 PM
mikexxxx
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a rotary to clean swirls up in a snap. The PC took too long, but I always finish with the PC & Menzerna's Final Touch.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:54 PM
mixermike
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tazracing
I bought the dvd and found it infomative and got some usefull tips from it. I would recommend it to anyone who is starting out using the PC. I beleive they are going to be releasing one soon for the rotary buffer as well.
Mike and Richard did a fantastic job putting this together.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:19 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't remember, but the Vette in that video was a black ?1968? or so, with a single stage paint, so you'll notice he actually got very good results by hand, because that type of paint is very soft.

In contrast the modern clearcoat is like diamonds. Yes, a PC is the first step everyone should try, but definitely for my 05, only a rotary will really get the job done for scratches and swirls.

I don't have any experience with the C3 Vettes that you're speaking of - what kind of paint they used... one of the experts will chime in I'm sure. But there's a chance that very old paint will be much more amenable to the PC than the modern clearcoat would.

Follow all the Mike Phillips says - the video is a great bible for the car crazy guy. the PC7424 is what just about everyone uses. Get one at autogeek with pads included.

Get notified of new replies

To Meguire's product use!

Quick Reply: Meguire's product use!