Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

All aftermarket polished wheel people, what products do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 12:57 PM
PolishDude
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Default All aftermarket polished wheel people, what products do you use?

I am wondering what is the best product out there for my polished lip on the wheels. I searched and most people like the powerball but considering the inside of my wheels is chrome and only the lip is polished I dont think thats the right product for me. I see some people recommending mothers, but do use the 5 dollar aluminum polish or the 15 dollar billet polish? Anything else, I have blue magic but I dont think i am getting the optimal result with that. What sort of cloth/towel does everyone use?

Thanks
Old 09-23-2006, 01:53 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 321 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by PolishDude
I am wondering what is the best product out there for my polished lip on the wheels. I searched and most people like the powerball but considering the inside of my wheels is chrome and only the lip is polished I dont think thats the right product for me. I see some people recommending mothers, but do use the 5 dollar aluminum polish or the 15 dollar billet polish? Anything else, I have blue magic but I dont think i am getting the optimal result with that. What sort of cloth/towel does everyone use?

Thanks
Sort of depends. Is the polished lip clearcoated? If it is, any of the popular brands wax or polish (Zaino, Mothers, Meguiars, etc) designed for painted surfaces will work fine.

If its not clearcoated then aluminum polish is what you need.

BTW, what kind of wheels are these? I don't think I've ever seen part chrome, part polished before.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:42 PM
DT
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy!

I've always used Blue Magic:

http://www.blulightning.com/c=2BstXL.../product/BM200

it really takes off the oxidized crud and leaves the wheel super clean and shiney (seems like it helps to prevent it as well).

It will really turn your rags/towels black and make a mess on your hands (shows you how much is coming off the wheels) so I grabbed a box of rubber gloves! (Got the idea from a guy at a show, he did a last minute clean and had nice clean hands!)

I think I scored it from a generic automotive store like PepBoys or AutoZone (?)

Seeya!
Old 09-23-2006, 04:11 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

http://www.adamspolishes.com/site/de...4AA4&killnav=1

It's liquid, apply with microfiber towel, work it into the metal, and buff clean with another clean towel. You certainly don't need a powerball for just the lips - which is the easiest part of the wheel to keep looking perfect.

Use the #1 polish to bring out the shine if the surface is dull,oxidized, or lightly scratched.

Use the #2 after for the most brilliant shine you've ever seen, or for routine maintenance of a highly polished surface.

Easily the best stuff I've ever used.

If you need an OTC product now, the Mother's billet polish is ok...much better than their cheap mag polish, but after polishing with the Mother's...hit it with some Adam's #2, and you'll be at the improvement

Old 09-23-2006, 06:20 PM
DT
Le Mans Master

Cool, I'm actually out of the product I mentioned (or close to it) - I think I'll try some Adam's - I've heard super positive stuff about their other car care products.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:08 AM
vettecop1125
Le Mans Master

CI 7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

I use Mothers BILLIT on my iForged wheels.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:16 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

what's the product to use with the powerball?
Old 09-24-2006, 10:45 PM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage driver
what's the product to use with the powerball?
Mother's has a wet polish for the powerball but it sucks. I used the Blue Magic paste. I applied by hand and then used the powerball to save some elbow grease. There's probably something better than Blue magic, but that's the best so far for me. (I've used mother's for powerball, mother's mag and alum. polish, and Blue Magic).
Old 09-24-2006, 11:02 PM
99mallett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: The line waiting to see Santa Claus stretched all the way back to Terre Haute, and I was at the end, Indiana
Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Years in the custom motorcycle market have yielded FLITZ and their polishing ball for me. Use the ball on a drill or put it on a drill press for those small pieces, or a soft cloth in tight spots. Works great on polished wheels, cases, forks and other bike parts. Does a great job taking off water spots or minor corrosion on chrome parts too. I've been using it on my Corvette wheels and underhood parts for years and love it.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:51 PM
pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by 99mallett
Years in the custom motorcycle market have yielded FLITZ and their polishing ball for me. Use the ball on a drill or put it on a drill press for those small pieces, or a soft cloth in tight spots. Works great on polished wheels, cases, forks and other bike parts. Does a great job taking off water spots or minor corrosion on chrome parts too. I've been using it on my Corvette wheels and underhood parts for years and love it.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:04 AM
PolishDude
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 2k2C5

BTW, what kind of wheels are these? I don't think I've ever seen part chrome, part polished before.
IForged

BTW I used the cheaper mothers and bluemagic and both make the polish shiney but it leaves it with a sort of haze to it, I am trying to get the lip to look like chrome as i see some ccw wheels look out there. Maybe I am using the wrong towels? I am using terry cloth
Old 09-25-2006, 01:42 AM
1KLRTOY
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PolishDude

Thanks
If the polished lips are clearcoated Wheel Wax works well
Old 09-25-2006, 09:46 AM
PolishDude
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1KLRTOY
If the polished lips are clearcoated Wheel Wax works well
nope they are not clearcoated, just bare aluminum
Old 09-25-2006, 10:40 AM
HP_Addict
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try Semichrome. I recently converted to it after a recommendation from a forum member and like the results. It is avaliable at most motorcycle shops.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:03 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by marlowchris
Try Semichrome. I recently converted to it after a recommendation from a forum member and like the results. It is avaliable at most motorcycle shops.

Either Simichrome or Mothers Billet.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:21 PM
1KLRTOY
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by agentf1

Either Simichrome or Mothers Billet.
Non clearcoat
Old 09-25-2006, 06:30 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Old 09-25-2006, 06:38 PM
Z06-Goose
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DT
Cool, I'm actually out of the product I mentioned (or close to it) - I think I'll try some Adam's - I've heard super positive stuff about their other car care products.

Yes, Adams #1 and #2 metal polishing kit is outstanding. Especially if you're just doing the lip of the wheel, it's just perfect for that. It will also make it water repellent after the application
Goose

Get notified of new replies

To All aftermarket polished wheel people, what products do you use?

Quick Reply: All aftermarket polished wheel people, what products do you use?