Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

What is the absolute BEST Wheel Cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2001, 05:33 PM
Andy1983
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is the absolute BEST Wheel Cleaner?

I have aluminum wheels right now, but they will be polished soon.

What is the BEST wheel cleaner out there?
Old 09-15-2001, 05:48 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: What is the absolute BEST Wheel Cleaner? (Andy1983)

The best is car wash soap....whatever you wash your car with.It is the safest to clean your wheels with.....you should never need a wheel cleaner....remember this is just my opinion.
Old 09-15-2001, 05:50 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What is the absolute BEST Wheel Cleaner? (Andy1983)

Car wash and water is the best wheel cleaner, use NOOOO!!! brake dust removers or other cleaners (I don't care if they say clear coat safe or wheel safe on the label, all contain HF acid) I have had 4 or 5 sets of billet wheels and have learned this, car wash is the best.

I have seen too many wheels come thru my shop ruined by brake dust removers and wheel cleaners spot, pit, and stain them.

If you have to use something strong, use diluted 50/50 Simple Green.
Old 09-15-2001, 11:55 PM
forrest
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What is the absolute BEST Wheel Cleaner? (KLO)

Kevin - not ALL wheel cleaners contain hydrofluoric acid. Many of the cleaners formulated for chrome plated wheels do, but it is safe to use on that type of plating.

Many of the cleaners marketed as safe for coated or polished wheels contain oxalic acid, which is completely safe for the finish when used according to instructions (don't spray on a hot wheel, clean one wheel at a time, don't leave on over 2 minutes, etc).

Any cleaner, used in an improper manner, can damage a finish.

A proper type of cleaner, when used in a proper manner, can clean a wheel in minutes versus rubbing or scrubbing (which can catch a piece of debris and scratch the finish). I clean the wheels on my daily driver Contour SVT (OE coated wheels) twice a week - just spray the cleaner on, wait a minute and hose it off. No brake dust.

I also keep a coating of a proper polish on the wheels to help prevent the brake dust from adhering.

Acid is not necessarily a bad thing. An improper acid, or a proper one, used improperly, can be a bad thing.

But, if in doubt, just use car wash and a mitt.
Old 09-16-2001, 03:44 AM
silversport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What is the absolute BEST Wheel Cleaner? (forrest)

I have used Simple Green for years and have seen no adverse effects. It is always a good idea to clean the wheels cold not hot though, when using ANY cleaner. :cool: :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To What is the absolute BEST Wheel Cleaner?

Quick Reply: What is the absolute BEST Wheel Cleaner?