Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

$70 Carnuba vs. $10 Carnuba ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 08:03 PM
TonyC6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default $70 Carnuba vs. $10 Carnuba ?

I asked this question in another thread, but it got buried so I thought I would make it a thread of it's own. Can anyone here elaborate as to the differences in some of the more expensive carnubas (like Pinnacle) vs. Mothers or Meguires? Even the Pinnacle Souveran and their Signature Series? One costs twice as much as the other. Also any comment on the differences between the paste wax and the liquid wax, again using Souveran as the example. The 8 oz paste is double the price of the 16 oz liquid. Of course you would use more liquid in the application but that can't be the price difference.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:14 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Carnauba content, type, etc.

The differences are fairly small, IMO. I've used a pretty wide variety of carnaubas, and some might be slightly deeper, slightly clearer, etc., but on a properly prepped finish the visual differences are going to be small.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Guitarstar
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Im gonna give Griots Carnauba a try, They give info how other companies claim 100% when that would be a "brick".
They claim to have the highest content, that melts in your hand.
If it smells as good as they advertise like their other QD & Spray on Wax it should be another winner.

Last edited by Guitarstar; 10-06-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:31 PM
black bart
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a side by side comparison of Meg#26 and PS on my Black Ranger and I thought the PS looked a little better but did it on my wifes Explorer Burgundy and could not really see any difference.
With the limited testing that I have done i would say it depends on what color you are using it on. When I had the Corvette done with PS I put Duragloss AW over part of the car and the part with the AW on it had a higher gloss but the difference was small. PS is easier to apply and remove than 26
When you say $70.00 wax I assume you are talking about PS. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but PS is now$79.95
Old 10-06-2006, 10:11 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Tony ... I can understand your plight and questions. What I will tell you is that Souveran is without equal at is price point and several points higher. Infact Zymol makes waxes at price tags of over 160.00 (concours) to 360.00 (Ital) that are not received as better. So what makes Souveran so special ??

Well the first item is the ivory carnauba. Call it bleached carnauba or refined carnauba but it is the purest form. It is significantly more expensive as refined more than high grade yellow carnauba. The second reason is hand pouring. In order to give the end-user the best product, it is made in smaller batches in a controlled environment. Now consider that the manufacturer (PBMA) spares no expense in the additional ingredients involved in making Souveran also. It was designed as a high end boutique product, and not a relabeled or price point mass market product.

What I can also offer is that Souveran recently saw its first price increase in 15 years. Unfortunately the cost of the world and items in it have substantially increased during this time. What we still offering is the best carnauba at its price point and beyond. You will not find the same warmth, depth, and wetness in such an easy to product from any other manufacturer currently. This is why people consistently come back to it. This is why it wins car shows, real serious car shows. This is why everyone compares their product against it.

So in closing, I would highly suggest you try it. You will see more than 30 applications from a jar. Do a little search on Google and see the amass of praise. It is clearly one of the few products to date that trully stood the test of time.

If you decide to test it ... consider using the couponcode offered for 15% off currently. The kits, Sizzling Shine and Intro, are the best offers. Also you will receive free shipping and some nice microfiber towels. Add in Crystal Mist (the easiest to use, and nicest looking carnauba spray wax) and your set.

======================================== ==========
Here is an article from the past ...one written by the former co-owner of Pinnacle. I copied it several years back.

ME:
CMA (Classic Motoring Assessories) brought out a newsletter this morning that answered some questions on Pinnacle Souveran. This should help to realize other formulas like P21S (heavy beeswax) and Trade Secret are in fact different, although may share some ingredents. Hopefully CMA will not mind me cut/paste the entire article for the folks that want to know about one of the greatest carnuba's made and the fact that it isnt all carnuba.

Terry:
"Judging by the volume of emails I've been receiving, our Pinnacle waxes have been creating quite a stir in the marketplace. If you're a long time reader of our Newsletter, you know I rarely tout our own products, preferring to focus the spotlight on other manufacturer's products. This month, I hope you'll forgive me if I wave the flag over our first product line, Pinnacle, and a wax I'm particularly proud of, Souveran Paste Wax. As I travel around the country to various show car and concours events, I am always flattered to see this wax being used, especially on cars that end up in the "Winners Circle." With this growth in popularity comes the inevitable rumors and innuendoes about what's in it and who makes it.
Here, in no particular order, are some of the recent emails I've received with questions about our Pinnacle waxes.

Question: I've been told that Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax is the same as "Brand X" which sells for half the price. Is this true?

Answer: I tracked a number of these rumors back to internet forums where someone's uncle's barber knows a mechanic that had some "inside information" that Souveran is .....etc. Hog wash! I developed Pinnacle Souveran Paste wax and do not sell it under any other name or allow the formula to be used by any other company. Now, we do pour waxes for other companies but these waxes are crafted to the client's specifications or price constraints. They are totally different formulas from Pinnacle Souveran.

Q: Where did Pinnacle Souveran (Paste Wax) come from?

A: The history of Pinnacle goes back to 1991. At that time, I owned a black Mercedes and, like most enthusiasts, thought I wanted a bright shiny finish. My eyes were opened when I purchased a jar of Zymol® Destiny™ wax. Destiny made my car look fabulous! It wasn't a bright shine but rather a deeper, darker shine. My car's black paint rippled like it was under water. I think I paid around three hundred bucks for that jar of wax. (It now sells for over $400.00 for an 8 oz. jar!)

Through this experience, I came to realize that there was more to shine than just light reflection. Some colors, black, red, dark blue, deep yellow for example, look better with this "deeper, darker, wet-like" shine.
A light went on! Every wax manufacturer was promoting a brighter, more dazzling shine. No one, with the exception of Zymol, was addressing a different type of shine just for dark color vehicles. I reasoned that if I could create a wax similar to Zymol's Destiny at a "more affordable" price, I'd have a winner. With Destiny as my benchmark, I hired a chemist and we spent the next 15 months developing a super wax for dark color vehicles. Mid 1992, I felt we had a wax that, nine times out of ten, couldn't be distinguished from our benchmark wax in a blind, side-by-side comparison. In some areas we even surpassed our benchmark wax. Because we're in Florida, we crafted Souveran to be extremely haze and streak-resistant even in climates of high heat and humidity. It wipes on and buffs off easily with every car coming out perfect. In September of 1992, I launched the Pinnacle Car Care line with Souveran Paste Wax as our signature wax for dark color vehicles. The rest, as they say is history with Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax being used on hundreds if not thousands of show and concours winners all the way up to Pebble Beach!

Q: Why is Souveran so expensive?
A: The plain truth is production costs. Paste waxes are "cooked" in a steam jacketed kettle with the liquid wax being sent under pressure to a filling machine with 6 or more spigots. Wax jars are filled six at a time, go down an assembly line through a cooling tunnel where the top of the wax solidifies enough for a cap to be installed, past a labeling machine where a label is applied and then to final packaging. The Souveran formula, because of the various oils we use, is extremely finicky. We must maintain the temperature of the wax within 4 degrees C. from the beginning to the end of the pouring or we get mush. It also does not like forced cooling. We have to let Souveran air cool. Because the formula requires so much attention, Souveran is poured one container at a time. It is sent down a short assembly line to a flat table where it is allowed to air cool. When it cools in this manner, the center of the wax sinks slightly. This doesn't hurt anything but it doesn't look nice for a high quality wax to have a caved in center. To smooth the top, we pour the container 3/4 full, let it air cool and then run it through a second time to "top it off". In essence, we pour every container twice. The surface wax then air dries a second time, an "O" ring is installed, the cap is screwed on (by hand) and a front and back label is put on (again by hand).

We have to contract the pouring. We rent the kettle, filling machine, cooling table and usually two operators for "X" number of days. With a typical, automotive paste wax, one filling machine and operator should be able to pour and package 2,000 wax jars a day. With Souveran, the best we have ever accomplished is 200 jars a day and some days, as little as 100 jars. We have to amortize the cost of the equipment and labor over the number of jars we produce. That's why it's so expensive. Now we can take out some of the ingredients that make the formula so difficult to pour but we would loose the 3-dimensional, look-down-the-layers shine that Souveran is famous for.

Q: How is Souveran Paste Wax different from other waxes?

A: The mental image most people have of a freshly waxed car is a bright, shiny finish but that may not be the best look for your car. Black, red and dark color vehicles tend to look better with a deeper, 3-dimensional, liquid shimmer that allows the vitality and energy of the paint to emerge. Conventional waxes that focus on brightness create a bland, silvery reflection in direct sunlight. This sterile shine does not compliment the passion and power of black and red vehicles.

Souveran on dark color paints creates the liquid shimmer of an infinitely deep pool. Everything about Souveran is different. We start with a base of super-refined, Brazilian Ivory Carnauba. This extra refining process reduces impurities and increases the wax's clarity.

Yellow Carnauba Ivory Carnauba

During the blending process, as the wax is melted to a liquid, we add additional oils which "wet" the surface. This gives the finish the look of rippling liquidity.
Souveran is different in three other aspects. First it wipes on and buffs off "wet". There is no waiting for the wax to dry and no chalky residues to collect in body seams. You simply walk around the car wiping on and buffing off as you go. Souveran will also not white-stain body moldings.

A second difference is the coverage. Conventional paste waxes will typically yield 10 to 12 applications per container. One 8 oz. container of Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax is enough to wax 20 to 30 vehicles. A little wax goes a long way!

The third difference is that Pinnacle Souveran can be layered without fear of yellowing or discoloration. The finish will noticeably darken with a second application and we know of show cars that have 20 or more coats of Souveran!

Q: How much Carnauba is in Souveran?
A: Carnauba in today's wax formulas functions mostly as a carrier. It is the vehicle used to keep the polymers and oils on your car's surface. Only a small portion of your vehicle's shine comes from the "wax" (i.e. carnauba) itself. Carnauba is translucent at best with only minimal light reflection.

Modern folklore propagates the myth that increasing the Carnauba content of a wax will make the wax "better". This is marginally true at best. Increasing the Carnauba content up to a point (30 to 37%), will increase the waxes durability but will not affect the shine. If the Carnauba content is too high (40% or more), the result is a rock-hard, wax brick. You simply would not be able to apply it to a vehicle! Be wary of manufacturerers that claim high (40%+) wax contents. They are either lying or they include softer, cheaper waxes (beeswax, palm wax, paraffin) in their formula.

We do not use any beeswax, Montan wax, Palm wax or paraffin in our formulas. We pack our waxes with the maximum amount of Ivory Carnauba possible. If we put in more Carnauba, the wax would be impossible to apply. We have never quoted a content percentage because it really isn't important.

Q: What happened to Pinnacle Paste Glaz for light color vehicles?

A: When I launched Pinnacle in 1992, I started with Souveran Paste Wax for dark color vehicles and Paste Glaz Paste Wax for light color vehicles. In layman's terms, Paste Glaze contained a high polymer content for a brighter shine which compliments light colors while Souveran used wetting oils to increase the carnauba's natural jetting factor or darkening characteristic. Over time we found that we could put more polymers in a liquid product. The amount of wax in Paste Glaz was actually inhibiting the amount of shine we could produce. Liquid Souveran was introduced to compliment white, silver, grey, beige, light yellow and light blue finishes. It contains a base of Brazilian Ivory Carnauba for transparency but is packed with highly reflective, crystalline polymers.

Liquid Souveran produces a mirror-like shine that can be layered in multiple coats without any discoloration or yellowing. In 2004, we retired Paste Glaz Paste Wax as Liquid Souveran really surpassed it in shine.

Q: Do you recommend Souveran Paste Wax is for dark color vehicles and Liquid Souveran is for light color finishes?

A: That was my intent but there are no absolutes in judging shine because it is a personal preference. If you have a black car and like a bright shine, then Liquid Souveran is the right wax for you. There is no "right" or "best" wax. Only by trying different waxes on your vehicle will you be able to decide what looks best to you.

by Terry Freiberg,
Classic Motoring Accessories
Newsletter #37

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 10-06-2006 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:15 PM
TonyC6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Tony ... I can understand your plight and questions. What I will tell you is that Souveran is without equal at is price point and several points higher. Infact Zymol makes waxes at price tags of over 160.00 (concours) to 360.00 (Ital) that are not received as better. So what makes Souveran so special ??

Well the first item is the ivory carnauba. Call it bleached carnauba or refined carnauba but it is the purest form. It is significantly more expensive as refined more than high grade yellow carnauba. The second reason is hand pouring. In order to give the end-user the best product, it is made in smaller batches in a controlled environment. Now consider that the manufacturer (PBMA) spares no expense in the additional ingredients involved in making Souveran also. It was designed as a high end boutique product, and not a relabeled or price point mass market product.
Thanks for the great explanation and detail about the Souveran. I'm interested, but I still have a couple more. What is the difference between the Souveran and the Signature (paste), and the comparison between the Souveran paste and liquid.

Thanks,
T.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:03 AM
Z06-Goose
Melting Slicks

Good post, Scott!
Goose
Old 10-07-2006, 09:01 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TonyC6
Thanks for the great explanation and detail about the Souveran. I'm interested, but I still have a couple more. What is the difference between the Souveran and the Signature (paste), and the comparison between the Souveran paste and liquid.

Thanks,
T.
Its kinda offered above, but let me offer a better take.

Souveran paste --- this wax was designed as a no expense best of the best wax. This is the hand poured version and offers the best in warmth, depth, and wetness. Your paint truly should almost look like a pool .... (consider this to be the Vette in automobiles. Sure we could get the same engine (performance) in a GTO, but its got four doors and doesnt offer the special feeling of owning one of the best american sportscars and doesnt attract as much attention at the show)

Souveran Liquid --- this was original designed to give a look similar to Souveran but offer better durability (by using polymers) and it has the ability to be used , and dryed completely before removal. It works well on all cars colors and thus kinda replaced Paste Glaz. This is the wax I would consider over any bottled wax from those SuperStores.

Sig Series II ---- this wax was designed in paste form to be the best possible carnauba for lighter cars. Consider it Paste Glaz plus from the original design. It was brought back because most car buffs (no pun) wanted the paste and the best possible look. It uses some polymers to try and extend durability and some crystalline technology to amp up metallics. It appears a little more bright ....

You could easily use any of the three and get great results. They all are designed to be a little different and to set each other apart. If you drive black, red, or yellow that the paste is the real choice ... if you want longer protection move to the liquid. As for lighter cars its a toss up between SSII and Souveran paste based upon cost personal taste.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Bill97Z
Instructor

If you guys want to save a few bucks try P21S or TOL Trade secret......if you like souveran, I am sure you will like these.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:54 PM
ASPHALT ROCKET
Instructor

When it comes to keeping my C6 or the rest of my cars clean I will not spare any expense. If Souveran goes up in price again I will buy it because it is the best wax out there.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:35 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET
When it comes to keeping my C6 or the rest of my cars clean I will not spare any expense. If Souveran goes up in price again I will buy it because it is the best wax out there.

Lets hope we can see another 15 years before that comes
Old 10-07-2006, 09:38 PM
ASPHALT ROCKET
Instructor

Scott, I will agree with you, but if it does I will still make the purchase.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:01 AM
Z06-Goose
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Lets hope we can see another 15 years before that comes
I'd probably buy some myself between now and then
goose
Old 10-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Aaron71771
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

...the comparison between the Souveran paste and liquid.
As far as results they are almost the same; I use the paste becasue it does look slightly better. Souveran carnuba wax goes on and wipes off much easier. It literally is wipe on wipe off. The liquid doesn't work the same way in application/removal - but it is still pretty easy.

If you don't want to spend the $$$ you will still be happy with the liquid. But once you use their paste you will not want to go back to the liquid. FYI you can easily get 20 applications out of the paste.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:44 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

A couple pics of a 7 year old bug after a girl (Jen) from our site used XMT (Pinnacles Polishes) and Souveran Paste. She is in no way a professional and just got her PC7424 90 days ago max.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:52 AM
4DSZR1
Burning Brakes

I use Griots carnuba, and like it, nice high gloss, easy to take off if put on thin and even. I also Use NXT and like it too for its gloss, longevity and ease of removal.

Cant go wrong with either.

Get notified of new replies

To $70 Carnuba vs. $10 Carnuba ?

Quick Reply: $70 Carnuba vs. $10 Carnuba ?