Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

3000 mile road trip - need a bra, which one

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 12:12 AM
06 Sunshine
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3000 mile road trip - need a bra, which one

I'm going on the HRPT and need to put a bra on the front of Sunshine, any recommendations? I will be taking it off either every day or every other day.
Thanks so much.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:24 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spray-On Protection Bra creates an airtight, waterproof barrier. Make sure the surface to be protected is clean and dry before use. To start, mask off sections that are not to be coated. Apply Spray-On Bra in the shade at cool temperatures, if possible out of direct wind and in a well ventilated area. Shake the container well and often during use.
Spray-On Protection Bra creates an airtight, waterproof barrier. Make sure the surface to be protected is clean and dry before use. To start, mask off sections that are not to be coated. Apply Spray-On Bra in the shade at cool temperatures, if possible out of direct wind and in a well ventilated area. Shake the container well and often during use.

Spray approximately 6-10 inches form surface being treated using overlapping layers until the entire area is covered. For maximum protection a film thickness of 1/8 inch is recommended. Remove masking shortly after application. Spray-On Bra is dry to the touch in 15 minutes and fully cured in 90 minutes.

Removal - Peel up an edge of the film from the surface and pull up sections as desired. After removing, dispose of properly in a rubbish / trash bin. http://www.griotsgarage.com
Old 11-03-2006, 09:41 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

On my C5 I found the GM one to work the best and was very reasonable also. (under 100 bucks)
Old 11-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Best bang for the buck is the GM bra.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:09 PM
rrichar2591
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 182 Posts

If it were me, I would consider the spray on bra. Our Corvette club goes on quite a few road trips every year and our experience has been that most bras will do more damage than they will help. Many will allow dirt and dust to collect underneath the bra and then a sandpaper effect can occur. I have seen this first hand. Good luck.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:00 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

my opinion - unless your car is black, the black bra look is really outdated - a bit like wearing bell bottoms. Don't do that, man.

I bought a speed lingerie color-matched bra. Excellent quality. But equally as good, less expensive is the Colgan. You can see some pics and stuff at my web page if interested. (go there and click on (nose cover).

takes me 9 minutes to put on, 2 minutes to take off. like you, I just like having it available for long trips. Otherwise I leave it off.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:47 PM
67 Nova
Advanced

Like my wife I have more than one bra. I have a Speedlingerie and and a GM bra. I have just finished a 5,800 mile trip to west coast and I used the GM bra because of the easy on easy off for cleaning purposes. I like the looks of the SpeedLingerie bra on my torch red but I needed something on this trip that was easy to remove. The SpeedLingerie bra does take more effort to remove and install.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:23 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused

Auto Mask:
Porsche invented the fabric auto mask (the so-called car bra) in the late sixties, when the factory still individually road tested every car, and because they used the local roads around the factory, a temporary fabric mask was put on the car, to protect the new paint.

It was never intended to be permanent, because no matter how careful you are, no matter how clean you keep your car, the fabric bra will eventually cause a tremendous amount of paint damage as they trap dust and road grit and vibrate in the wind with the action of machine driven sandpaper. They should be removed if it becomes wet or if water becomes trapped between the cover and the paint as it will cause the paint to become opaque or clouded. It will also cause uneven fading because the paint underneath them is not exposed to sunlight like the rest of the vehicle.

Knowledge - [We know a subject] [We know where to find information on it] the most highly valued; [knowledge that is both held and shared]
Old 11-06-2006, 04:35 PM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

i use the strechy bra i forget the name of it. but its the very thin one and primarily used for bug protection only. not againt rock chips though. it works well for me. No airflow issues either because this one covers the intakes and brake duct. no worries because it doesnt decrease airflow from. I have also heard great reviews of the spray on bra.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:33 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
Best bang for the buck is the GM bra.

Especially if you are just looking for temporary protection on the occasional road trip.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Oli1313
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

I just put my GM on yesterday. It took my a little while, but it looks great. Make sure you use an old credit card, as someone posted on this forum, to put the tab between the light covering and the rubber stripping since this was the time consuming step and a pain in the neck.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:01 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by bugman
my opinion - unless your car is black, the black bra look is really outdated - a bit like wearing bell bottoms. Don't do that, man.

I bought a speed lingerie color-matched bra. Excellent quality. But equally as good, less expensive is the Colgan. You can see some pics and stuff at my web page if interested. (go there and click on (nose cover).

takes me 9 minutes to put on, 2 minutes to take off. like you, I just like having it available for long trips. Otherwise I leave it off.

It also protects fog lights and radiator with mesh screen.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:05 AM
blewbyuC5
Intermediate

I highly recommend the bumper mask and mirror covers from C5Creations. Excellent for bug protection and very easy installation /removal.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:01 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I highly recommend the bumper mask and mirror covers from C5Creations. Excellent for bug protection and very easy installation /removal.

Is the C5Creations bumper mask any protection at all from chips etc.
or totally useless except for bugs in your use and opinion of it?
Old 11-22-2006, 03:10 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

C-5 part for a C-6 car
Old 11-22-2006, 04:35 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

C-5 part for a C-6 car

Hi...the owner of C5Creations now makes C6 goods and when I asked him about changing the name from C5Creations to C6Creations (he says he gets asked this all the time) he's still keeping the original name. Crazy perhaps, but they do sell many C6 parts including the bumper and mirror masks. In fact, every part they sell for the C5 they also make for the C6.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:37 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by siffert
C-5 part for a C-6 car

Hi...the owner of C5Creations now makes C6 goods and when I asked him about changing the name from C5Creations to C6Creations (he says he gets asked this all the time) he's still keeping the original name. Crazy perhaps, but they do sell many C6 parts including the bumper and mirror masks. In fact, every part they sell for the C5 they also make for the C6.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:25 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by bugman

Where have you been Scott? Bell Bottoms are coming back in.

I have a black standard GM bra (my cars black) and you cannot beat the price or quality. If mt car was not black I would have spent the big bucks and sprung for the Speed Lingerie Bra like Bugman has. Only takes me a few minutes to put mine on and off, only 9 snaps. I usually don't use the hood peice, I have to draw the line somewhere.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:02 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by agentf1
Where have you been Scott? Bell Bottoms are coming back in.

I have a black standard GM bra (my cars black) and you cannot beat the price or quality. If mt car was not black I would have spent the big bucks and sprung for the Speed Lingerie Bra like Bugman has. Only takes me a few minutes to put mine on and off, only 9 snaps. I usually don't use the hood peice, I have to draw the line somewhere.
color matching is not an issue if your Corvette is black because all front end bras are black in color.

Get notified of new replies

To 3000 mile road trip - need a bra, which one

Quick Reply: 3000 mile road trip - need a bra, which one