Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Best way to clean a white vinyl top?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 06:29 PM
redjetty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best way to clean a white vinyl top?

whats the best way to keep that white vinyl top looking clean and bright?,, conditioners too,,, thanks rj
Old 12-26-2006, 06:37 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I would try one of the good ragtop cleaners like 303. I think they have a vinyl version also. If desperate I would try Wesleys but I really do not think that that would be too good for it. You may also want to try Spray Nine.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:24 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I really like raggtopp for my cloth top. Haven't tried the vinyl top products but that's what I'd suggest.

In the old days, I did a lot of cleaning of cloth tops with IVORY soap - the bar of soap right from the bath. Very effective if you have some stubborn greaying or stains. But I do NOT suggest using this on any regular basis - neither in your shower nor on the car -- VERY alkaline - so it'll dry up skin as well as leather, vinyl, and paint surfaces. Probably not much different than using Wesley's Bleach-white.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:17 AM
Pres712
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Comet

You guys will probably crap when I tell you this but I have had verts since my first '47 Ford. My first whie top was my '67 Vette and one day I got mad about dark spots and tried a little Comet cleanser. I made up a little paste with water and rubbed it on the spots and they came out. Some people think it will weaken the threads but I've never experienced that and my top stays super white! Make sure you rinse it good and watch for run downs on the paint.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:39 AM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

I have two Corvettes with white vinyl tops, and they are always bright and immaculate. I use the common household cleaner, Soft Scrub with Bleach, on the top once or twice a season if the top looks little "off", and it works great. I've heard that this shouldn't be used every time because the bleach content will weaken the threads of the top, but I haven't experienced that at all. I only do this once or twice a year as the tops never get "grungy" at all...it does make a difference.

Elaine
Old 12-28-2006, 10:31 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Typical Vinyl Top Composition:
Double texture vinyl by Haartz, a four-ply composite comprising;
1.A PVC outer layer
2.An un-dyed 100% cotton sheeting backing material
3.A butyl-rubber inner layer
4.A 100% cotton drill lining fabric

Cleaning Methodology:
•Use a quality wash concentrate (P21S® Total Auto Wash) to remove most of dirt and oils from the surface
•Shake product for 30-60 seconds to ensure even mixing
•Treat spots with a Vinyl cleaner (303TM Fabric & Vinyl Convertible Top Cleaner) and a soft horsehair brush to agitate and then remove with damp 100% Alpine DFTM Microfiber towel
•Apply a vinyl dressing (Zymol® Vinyl Conditioner) with clean, damp applicator. This will re moisturize and condition the vinyl surface let dry and then buff it dry with a clean towel.
•Apply a UV protection (303TM Aerospace Protectant) keep about 6-8 inches above surface and using a back and forth movement spray lightly but do not soak, let set-up for 30-60 minutes, buff with a clean 100% cotton cloth to set the resins - 303™ products retailer search

Common Stains:
Bird excrement, tree sap, road tar, grease and oil, to remove these stains, 303r'M Fabric and Vinyl Convertible Top Cleaner will lift and suspend the soil, let it soak-in (but do not let it dry) Then rinse with clean water and wash / rinse as normal and re-apply a UVR (303 Space Pprotectant)

Alternative product- if a bird or sea gull has used your car's cabriolet top for target practice, this product will remove it without damage to both vinyl and cloth. It will not harm the tops water repellence. Poop-Off Bird Poop Remover is a non-toxic, biodegradable, active enzyme formula that removes droppings and residues composed of all types of avian diets including, seeds, fruit, nuts, meat, vegetables, nectar, bugs and grains. Originally a marine product, it will not harm the tops water repellence http://www.properautocare.com/

Do not use household cleaners, powered abrasives, steel wool or industrial cleaning products, dry-cleaning fluids, silicones (petroleum distillates) bleach, harsh detergents, or products with a high solvent or alcohol content as they will compromise the water resistant finish, the special adhesive used for the seams and cause the stitching to fail.

Knowledge; [and the proper methodologies are the key to correct automotive detailing]
Old 12-28-2006, 11:44 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

another great write-up by TOGWT

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to clean a white vinyl top?

Quick Reply: Best way to clean a white vinyl top?