Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

What is the best way to protect polished aluminum?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 09:53 AM
LS-Five
East bound and down...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What is the best way to protect polished aluminum?

I know this has been addressed before but I was looking for some new ideas on how to protect polished aluminum. I know some people swear by Zoop seal, but if I am going to spend that much I will have them clear powdercoated or chromed.

I was wondering if the synthetic polymer sealers such as Zaino or Nxt Generation Tech Wax would work very well. Has anyone tried them on polished aluminum? I just get tired of constantly pulling parts of of my vehicles just to polish them, only to do it again in a few weeks. I am sure you guys can relate to that. I am open to new suggestions.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:18 AM
71rdster
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-01-2007, 10:22 AM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Don't drive in states where there's salt content or in the Winter

I knew a guy that used to coat his aluminum wheels with Vaseline. He'd leave it on all Winter and never wash it off. In the Spring, he's use Gunk and take it off and they'd look like brand new.

Dep
Old 03-01-2007, 11:29 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,487 Likes on 771 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Years ago they used to even say use axle grease in winter. Looks like crap but protects the wheels. Todays, modern coated wheels shouldn;t be a problem. I live in Chicago and haven't had wheels on my cars corrode in a long time. Old, uncoated wheels, another story.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:03 PM
75 Hot One
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wheels are bare polished aluminum and I just use car wax. I've still got a supply of Rain Dance which, I think, is now discontinued but that's what I use. Wheels still look like new. I would think any good quality car wax should work. Qualification- I don't drive the car in the winter.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:09 PM
LS-Five
East bound and down...
Support Corvetteforum!

I tried to use some of American Racing's Wheel Wax. I used it on my polished rocker covers. It worked pretty good, but when I was cleaning my engine compartment I made the mistake of getting some Simple Green cleaner near them and it took the wax right off and spotted them up pretty bad. I had to spend 3 hours to get them looking good again.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Kyle69-71 BBs
Pro

Clean, polish. clearcoat.
I am doing this to old stuff that I am sick of cleaning every few weeks
Old 03-01-2007, 08:46 PM
easyasone2three
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:46 PM
cherrybombc3
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

POR-15 makes an excellent product, just for that purpose!!

A Brilliant Two-Component Clear Coating

GLISTEN PC is a High Gloss, Rock Hard, Water-clear topcoat designed for spray or brush application over all metal surfaces, including highly polished aluminum and chrome surfaces. GLISTEN PC will not leave brushmarks, and will dry in less than one hour, but will take 3-4 days to reach maximum hardness.

When GLISTEN PC is first dry to the touch, it will appear to be very soft. Avoid touching it for several days until it becomes hard and tough. Accidental contact could damage the surface before full cure has taken place. Like many other coatings, GLISTEN PC is a MOISTURE-CURED coating, which means it is strengthened by exposure to moisture. It will never crack, chip, peel, or yellow, and is very flexible as well.

IDEAL USES: As a protective coating on aluminum wheels, chrome bumpers, marine railings, chrome or aluminum covers, grills, handles, ornaments, lights, etc
Old 03-01-2007, 10:52 PM
LS-Five
East bound and down...
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kyle69-71 BBs
Clean, polish. clearcoat.
I am doing this to old stuff that I am sick of cleaning every few weeks
I have strongly considered this, but I am concerned that for parts that get exposed to heat (such as rocker covers). I fear that they may discolor and turn yellow or brown with age. Before I spend the money I would like to hear some reports from people that have tried it and what kind of results they have had.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:53 PM
LS-Five
East bound and down...
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cherrybombc3
POR-15 makes an excellent product, just for that purpose!!

A Brilliant Two-Component Clear Coating

GLISTEN PC is a High Gloss, Rock Hard, Water-clear topcoat designed for spray or brush application over all metal surfaces, including highly polished aluminum and chrome surfaces. GLISTEN PC will not leave brushmarks, and will dry in less than one hour, but will take 3-4 days to reach maximum hardness.

When GLISTEN PC is first dry to the touch, it will appear to be very soft. Avoid touching it for several days until it becomes hard and tough. Accidental contact could damage the surface before full cure has taken place. Like many other coatings, GLISTEN PC is a MOISTURE-CURED coating, which means it is strengthened by exposure to moisture. It will never crack, chip, peel, or yellow, and is very flexible as well.

IDEAL USES: As a protective coating on aluminum wheels, chrome bumpers, marine railings, chrome or aluminum covers, grills, handles, ornaments, lights, etc
I hadn't considered this. It may be worth investigating. Have you tried it? I used the regular por-15 to coat my frame (and my face conincidently) it is a great product.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:25 AM
Kyle69-71 BBs
Pro

On areas that get hot you can buy Hi temp clear from dupicolor.
I have not noticed any yellowing,but the cars I have done this on get very little use.
The cars I did a few years ago I sold, so I cant tell you how long it holds up.....I think if it had to be cleaned off once a year I would still be ahead.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:37 PM
LS-Five
East bound and down...
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kyle69-71 BBs
On areas that get hot you can buy Hi temp clear from dupicolor.
I have not noticed any yellowing,but the cars I have done this on get very little use.
The cars I did a few years ago I sold, so I cant tell you how long it holds up.....I think if it had to be cleaned off once a year I would still be ahead.
One of my fellow corvette club members tried that approach on an intake manifold. It lasted about a year before it started to yellow, it would be a bit of a hassle to have to strip that stuff off if it did discolor. I am glad that you have had good luck with it though.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:10 PM
cherrybombc3
Burning Brakes

I have used it (POR-15 Glisten PC) on smaller aluminum parts & my Brother has used it on his mags, with awesome results. He actually drives his ride year round & we live in WISCONSIN. It's been two seasons now and he still swears by the stuff. Gotta love those chemicals!

Last edited by cherrybombc3; 03-02-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:00 PM
LS-Five
East bound and down...
Support Corvetteforum!

I have used it on smaller aluminum parts & my Brother has used it on his mags, with awesomew results. He actually drives his ride year round & we live in WISCONSIN. It's been two seasons now and he still swears by the stuff. Gotta love those chemicals!
Just ro clarify here, when you refer to "it" what are you referring to? We have mentioned several different compounds here...
Old 03-02-2007, 07:49 PM
cherrybombc3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LS-Five
Just ro clarify here, when you refer to "it" what are you referring to? We have mentioned several different compounds here...
Sorry, the POR-15 product.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:43 AM
LS-Five
East bound and down...
Support Corvetteforum!

I have used it (POR-15 Glisten PC) on smaller aluminum parts & my Brother has used it on his mags, with awesome results. He actually drives his ride year round & we live in WISCONSIN. It's been two seasons now and he still swears by the stuff. Gotta love those chemicals!
So far this idea sounds the best to me. I think I will give it a shot

Get notified of new replies

To What is the best way to protect polished aluminum?

Quick Reply: What is the best way to protect polished aluminum?