Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

First Place Finish Car Care system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 09:15 PM
SD2005C6
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Place Finish Car Care system?

I have a 05 Yellow Vette that I have owned for just over a year now. It only has about 3500 miles on it, and is garaged when ever its not moving. It came from the dealer with this "First Place Finish Car Care System" exterior protection applied. I am not sure if this is standard for all Vettes, or if my dealer just added it. It seems to hold up pretty well, I use a meguiars gold glass wash on it, and the water still beads. I am thinking about trying to remove it, and put on a coat of meguiars pure polish, followed by a coat of meguiars pure wax (I don't think it needs a paint cleaner, as it doesn't appear to have any blemishes). So here are my questions.

1. Would you guys remove the "First Place Finish Car Care System", or buy some more, and re-apply it?

2. If you would remove it, how would you go about doing it, other than clay bar (I don't like to use this even on my daily driver, and certainly not the Vette, as I am afraid i would damage it), would dawn by itself work?

3. Do I NEED to remove "First Place Finish Car Care System" in order to put on a different type of polish and wax, say meguiars, or could I just put in on top of the old stuff?

4. Any reason not to use meguiars, or to use something that works much better? I love a good shine as much as anyone, but I am more concerned with protection against bugs, and other dirt and grime.

5. Microfiber? I have heard good and bad things about this, I heard its softer, yet more likely to trap dirt and cause swirls or micro-marring.

I checked out the Zaino page, as I saw others had recommended it, and was quite frankly confused. I am used to seeing products clumped into three categories: Cleaner (abrasives), Polishes (non-abrasive, restoring oils and shine to paint), and Waxes (non-abrasive, sealing in the polish, and adding a protective layer to the paint). I did not see the Zaino products clumped into groups like that, and it threw me off. If anyone could offer any suggestions, or answers I would much appreciate it.
-Thanks.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:12 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

dealers commonly offer and price gouge on paint sealants. These are synthetic paint protection, and dealer knows that even without it, the paint should last as long as any warranty due to clearcoat and UV additives used. So you pay this big price, for a professional wax job that is suppose to last 3-5 years, and out the door you go !!

I will tell you that to date, no paint sealant offered will protect that long itself. Most last around 6-9 months in an optimal setting (like covered in a garage and never used). You want to wash, clay, polish, and protect your finish on a routine basis and truly keep your finish at the best possible standing.

So, yes you can remove(1, 2) the paint sealant the dealer applied, if the environment has not already done so. You can do this by using a chemical based paint cleaner, or mechanically thru an abrasive polish. Consider investing in a good buffer, like a porter cable, as hand polishing is a pain and quite limited in outcome.

(3) you dont necessarily need to remove the sealant, but is there any oxidation to the paint or sealant ?? So yes, you can top it, but most would suggest removing and starting with a properly prepped finish. This is where the claying and polishing come into play.

(4)Theres a nice saying, "use what you like, and use it often". Megs makes some nice products, and consider sticking to their high line (brown bottles) as possible.

(5)Microfiber towels are the single greatest offering to a car's finish. The polymide threads are actually finer than silk in most instances and far surpass quality towels. That said, you need to keep them seperate and treat them differently. They will last a lifetime and remember there are different offerings for different areas in detailing (washing, drying, polishing, wax removal).

Your final question involves the "Z" and a competitors product line. That said, like any product line you have AIO (all in one) type products that are good at most things (think jack of all trades) and then you have products that specialize in each area of detailing. Make sure to read the description of any product being used as you are correct in that some products almost seem to misuse what their name implys.

Come by our forum, or PM me as needed for hints and others items. We have some nice video's available online, and some areas to bookmark and come back to when detailing specific areas. Good luck and hope to see your finish gleaming bright in no time !!

Video (center of the page, products interchangable)

Detailing Tricks (specific areas in detailing)
Old 03-25-2007, 12:58 AM
SD2005C6
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
dealers commonly offer and price gouge on paint sealants. These are synthetic paint protection, and dealer knows that even without it, the paint should last as long as any warranty due to clearcoat and UV additives used. So you pay this big price, for a professional wax job that is suppose to last 3-5 years, and out the door you go !!

I will tell you that to date, no paint sealant offered will protect that long itself. Most last around 6-9 months in an optimal setting (like covered in a garage and never used). You want to wash, clay, polish, and protect your finish on a routine basis and truly keep your finish at the best possible standing.

So, yes you can remove(1, 2) the paint sealant the dealer applied, if the environment has not already done so. You can do this by using a chemical based paint cleaner, or mechanically thru an abrasive polish. Consider investing in a good buffer, like a porter cable, as hand polishing is a pain and quite limited in outcome.

(3) you dont necessarily need to remove the sealant, but is there any oxidation to the paint or sealant ?? So yes, you can top it, but most would suggest removing and starting with a properly prepped finish. This is where the claying and polishing come into play.

(4)Theres a nice saying, "use what you like, and use it often". Megs makes some nice products, and consider sticking to their high line (brown bottles) as possible.

(5)Microfiber towels are the single greatest offering to a car's finish. The polymide threads are actually finer than silk in most instances and far surpass quality towels. That said, you need to keep them seperate and treat them differently. They will last a lifetime and remember there are different offerings for different areas in detailing (washing, drying, polishing, wax removal).

Your final question involves the "Z" and a competitors product line. That said, like any product line you have AIO (all in one) type products that are good at most things (think jack of all trades) and then you have products that specialize in each area of detailing. Make sure to read the description of any product being used as you are correct in that some products almost seem to misuse what their name implys.

Come by our forum, or PM me as needed for hints and others items. We have some nice video's available online, and some areas to bookmark and come back to when detailing specific areas. Good luck and hope to see your finish gleaming bright in no time !!

Video (center of the page, products interchangable)

Detailing Tricks (specific areas in detailing)
Thanks for the great information, I think I will take your advice, and remove the sealant. Il probbaly use a megs paint cleaner, and then put on a coat of #7 glaze, and then a coat of #26 wax. I have used this process on my daily driver, and althought it does have some dings and scratches, the over all paint still has a very deep shine to it. The only thing I think I will need is some micro fiber towels you suggested, and I should be set!
-Thanks again!

Get notified of new replies

To First Place Finish Car Care system?

Quick Reply: First Place Finish Car Care system?