Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Body Shop Issue Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 09:38 AM
roushraven
Coolest Guy Evar!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Body Shop Issue Update

Previously posted in the C5 General Forum:
Folks what would you do?

I had an accident several weeks ago and just picked up my car from the dealership body shop. They billed for, and were supposed to do, the following:

1. Remove/replace, replace and paint new front bumper.
2. Remove/replace, headlight covers and repaint.
3. Remove/replace hood and repaint
4. Remove/replace fenders and side skirts and repaint.
5. Remove/replace side mirrors and repaint.
6. Wet sand the entire car.

The first thing I noticed upon picking up my car was that after it was wet sanded they did not compund the finish so I was left with swirls all over the entire care.

The second thing I noticed (while detailing the car) was that my hood, though removed, was not repainted. Neither were the fenders for that matter.

The third and most frustrating thing I noticed was that the paint on the headlight doors and front bumper do not match the fenders or hood.

I returned the car to the dealership to express my conerns and they have offered to make things right. However, given that these professionals returned my car to me in this condition I have my doubts.

What would you do?

Before the accident

After the accident

After the repair

Update:
The good news is that I got my car back from the dealership "hacks". While they did a much better job of paint matching, they did so by painting the fenders, hood, nose and head lamp covers. While the color overall is balanced the texture is not.

Now the pieces of the car that were just painted are smooth with little to no orange peel where the doors, fenders, trunk lid etc have the factory texture.

No way, am I taking it back. The body shop manager made a number of misrepresentations to me so I have no confidence with that shop. Do you guys with experience think that compounding or wet sanding will do the trick of leveling the OEM texture to the same as the newly painted surface? Should I just stop while I'm ahead?

Thanks,

-RR
Old 04-11-2007, 11:47 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

This brings back long forgotten memories of a red Honda I had 20 yrs ago. The first coat of red on the front end matched worse than yours and the shop manager agreed! I asked if "you were hoping I was blind to accept this"? (this from the so-called top Honda paint shop in town!) The second coat was applied a few weeks later and of course the finish was not wiped down or resanded ....paint applied right over road tar etc. I traded it a few months later.
I learned from this that "production shops" have one goal....fix it and get it out fast with minimal fussing. A person needs to find a shop where they will actually prep the existing surfaces other than wiping a rag with prep solvent on it. Then wet sand and rub out the finished product. They all give lip service about how they do this and that but behind the closed doors the guys are paid for how fast it gets done.
JU

Last edited by John Ulrich; 04-11-2007 at 11:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Body Shop Issue Update