Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Zaino Z6 detail spray & black Vette

Old 04-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Marcs c5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino Z6 detail spray & black Vette

I have seen people mention using detail spray and giving the car a quick wipe down when dusty. I own a black Z that is dusty all the time, but have never dusted it with detail spray as I'm afraid to add more swirls to my paint. Is this really as safe as some people make it sound? I would need to dust my car on a daily basis when driven daily. As of right now I just let the dust build up for a week then wash it. I hate seening my car full of dust and such all the time. Today it lasted all of 4 hrs before it became dusty and now I want it to look its best for tomorrow. Im going ,what should I do?

Last edited by Marcs c5; 04-19-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:03 PM
bluetail47
Advanced

I use a California duster and Z6. I haven't even washed the car with water in over a year. Works great, no swirls.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:12 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 914 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetail47
I use a California duster and Z6. I haven't even washed the car with water in over a year. Works great, no swirls.

I like my duster, and Z6 even more, but I find this hard to believe.
But this is from someone who lives in Mass.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:24 PM
NickL84
Intermediate

Amen to that, the weather up here is so screwey there's bound to be something in the air that will scratch up the clear coat.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:24 PM
zTrek
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bluetail47
For light dust only...use the California Duster first...using light pressure...then wipe with the detailer. If you keep your car out of the elements and do this often...you can avoid washing the car for months.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:30 PM
hk940
Racer

other people may do it that way but i wash the car once a week. i drive her about 400 miles a week and in the end there is real dirt, mud and gunk. not just "dust" that can be dusted off. i wash her with Zaino soap and use the C2 polish or the spray. but then i blow dry her with the leaf blower. if i were you and didn't have to worry about mud or anything drying i would consider the duster. as is i am happy with washing it.

you might try a leaf blower to blow off any dust.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:39 PM
0JPM@AutoBuffs
Former Vendor

Location: The AutoBuffs Army is unmatched in the Custom world! www.autobuffs.net
S. Jersey Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Zaino Gloss enhancer works great in between washes but not during pollen season....

Might want to post this in the Car Care Section Bub
Old 04-20-2007, 08:44 AM
Blueleader
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find the california duster leaves wax steaks on the finish, so I use a horsehair brush for the light dust and sometimes a detailing spray with microfiber cloth. My 2cents
Old 04-20-2007, 08:54 AM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I have a BLACK COUPE and the dust is very challenging, esspecially during POLLEN season. If you buy a CALIFORNIA duster, let it sit on some newspaper over night to suck up the oil it comes with and use that, it will save you alot of hassels.

As mentioned above, the duster may leave streaks, but that is typically dependant on the conditions outside, early morning due, is it a little chilly, before a storm could cause this (at least in my history of use).

I will dust the car twice a day at times with little issues and then I will take some detailing spray to the car. It works and helps keep your sanity.

Best of luck,

Micah
Old 04-20-2007, 12:34 PM
VetteBandit
Racer

The Cali dusters shouldnt leave streaks after the first few uses, but you could always switch to this:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=11236

No way...I just ordered one, will post on how it works asap.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

CA Duster works but absolutely don't apply pressure, just let it lightly touch the finish.

To use Z6 or Z8, ensure the finish is clean before hand. For best results after you have washed/dried the vehicle then apply you Z6 or Z8. This will renew the effects of the polish. Z6 is also great to use before you apply your polish or if you are doing multiple coats of polish apply Z6 between coats. Use an clean applicator of choice and a good clean buffing towel. Work the Z6 in using it sparingly and follow that section with a buff. Move to the next section and to provent undesired results don't allow the Z6 to dry on the finish. Only work a small area at a time.

There are some new microfiber buffing towels on the market that advertise using them lightly to remove dust similar to a CA Duster. The microfibers seems to grab and hold the dust particles inside the weave. Haven't seen them yet or tried them.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,187 Likes on 13,911 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by zTrek
For light dust only...use the California Duster first...using light pressure...then wipe with the detailer. If you keep your car out of the elements and do this often...you can avoid washing the car for months.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:53 PM
redhottt
Pro

We don't use Zaino but a friend hasn't washed his DBGM in 3 years, only uses Z3. We use a duster on our red and black Vettes with no detail spray.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:08 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Once I drive a car I no longer use my Calif Duster or do any QD wipes. It is good for when it is sitting in the garage collecting dust but the dust you pick up from the road is way to abrasive. Especially the stuff on the side of the car.

You can get away with a QEW type of wash with no problems. Don't mist it, wipe it down with a real damp sheep skin mitt soaked in QEW and water and then dry with a few soft micro fibers.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:14 AM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by agentf1
Once I drive a car I no longer use my Calif Duster or do any QD wipes. It is good for when it is sitting in the garage collecting dust but the dust you pick up from the road is way to abrasive. Especially the stuff on the side of the car.

You can get away with a QEW type of wash with no problems. Don't mist it, wipe it down with a real damp sheep skin mitt soaked in QEW and water and then dry with a few soft micro fibers.

I decided to put this to the test since i see so many owners doing it. I fully buffed my car, 0.000000% remaining swirls. After about an hour of driving, i stoped did the CA duster, and Z6 with microfiber, the results:

Shiny, and minor swirls all over the car. I was not happy, but hey i did to it to test the theory. One quick pass with the PC and Meg's #82 took it all right out, but now the mystery is solved.

Please, for the sake of you paint, don't use the duster after driving or quick detailer. Wait to wash it later.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:20 AM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z

I decided to put this to the test since i see so many owners doing it. I fully buffed my car, 0.000000% remaining swirls. After about an hour of driving, i stoped did the CA duster, and Z6 with microfiber, the results:

Shiny, and minor swirls all over the car. I was not happy, but hey i did to it to test the theory. One quick pass with the PC and Meg's #82 took it all right out, but now the mystery is solved.

Please, for the sake of you paint, don't use the duster after driving or quick detailer. Wait to wash it later.
I agree with Frank and GoFast. I threw out my duster a long time ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino Z6 detail spray & black Vette

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Zaino Z6 detail spray & black Vette