Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Will a Claybar Remove Clearcoat Scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:36 AM
TulsaVette
Safety Car

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Will a Claybar Remove Clearcoat Scratches?

The guy that tinted my windows must have leaned on the rear fenders of the car and left some clearcoat scratches. They are very minor and definitely not through to the paint.

I'm not upset about it, they are very small. I just don't have or use a buffer, so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:42 AM
MN CHOPPER
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe... if not thru the clear
Old 05-02-2007, 11:43 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I agree, maybe. It's worth a try. If not, try some Meguiar's (or other brands, too) Fine Cut which is in a tan bottle. And be very gently, not that it scratches, but in this case, less is better. You can't replace clear coat or paint without great expense.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:47 AM
MaxOctane
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a claybar will only remove surface contaminants. It will NOT remove any scratches whatsoever!

To remove light scratches and swirl marks you must use an abrasive compound, like Mgguiers(sp?) Scratch X, or NuFinish Scratch Doctor. I think Zaino also makes a good scratch remover. Using these will thin your clearcoat, so you'll want to use them sparingly. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:56 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

No, as stated above the claybar will not remove scratches. If they are minor then I would ignore them and apply wax. If they really bother you then you will have to remove enough of the clear coat so that they don't bother you any more. That may be minor or major but any removal of clear coat takes the risk of making it worse.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:58 AM
TulsaVette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
No, as stated above the claybar will not remove scratches. If they are minor then I would ignore them and apply wax. If they really bother you then you will have to remove enough of the clear coat so that they don't bother you any more. That may be minor or major but any removal of clear coat takes the risk of making it worse.
They really are pretty minor, and I have already put a second coat of wax on the car. You can only see them when the fenders are in direct sunlight, otherwise, you can't tell they are there. Thanks for helping.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Radical05
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 3m

3M makes a finish restorer that comes in a bottle that works great. They have it at Walmart or Auto Parts stores and as stated it is 3M and the same the paint guys use at body shops. I've used it for years with no issues and various cars.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:53 PM
TulsaVette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Radical05
3M makes a finish restorer that comes in a bottle that works great. They have it at Walmart or Auto Parts stores and as stated it is 3M and the same the paint guys use at body shops. I've used it for years with no issues and various cars.

And this will remove small scratches from the clearcoat?
Old 05-02-2007, 02:01 PM
Low12s
Team Owner

Location: Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the Rain.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Do yourself a favor...

3M Finesse-it II

Removes all small scratches. This stuff is like magic. IT was reccommended to me from a guy who restores cars to mint condition. It's about $40 per bottle, but it is worth it.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TulsaVette
The guy that tinted my windows must have leaned on the rear fenders of the car and left some clearcoat scratches. They are very minor and definitely not through to the paint.

I'm not upset about it, they are very small. I just don't have or use a buffer, so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
Zaino Fusion! That stuff is great!
Old 05-02-2007, 02:10 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Low12s
Do yourself a favor...

3M Finesse-it II

Removes all small scratches. This stuff is like magic. IT was reccommended to me from a guy who restores cars to mint condition. It's about $40 per bottle, but it is worth it.

Ditto. I always have a bottle of that around...Been using it for years. It really is amazing at removing minor flaws and polishing things to a mirror finish.....Most Marine Supply or automotive finishing stores carry it..
Old 05-02-2007, 02:13 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

I've had good results with 3M One Step Cleaner Wax. It doesn't actually remove the scratches but it does a great job of filling them in so you can't see them. The only drawback is that you'll need to repeat the process after washing the car if you want sustained results.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:05 PM
CraigE
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use it on my cars and boat
Do yourself a favor...

3M Finesse-it II

Old 05-02-2007, 04:28 PM
rpizzo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before using an abrasive, try Adam's Swirl and Haze Revover. I have used it to remove light clear coat scratches and it's does a great job.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:01 PM
TulsaVette
Safety Car

Do yourself a favor...

3M Finesse-it II

Is this stuff a cleaner and a polish, or do I use it and then a polish on top of it?

Do I have to use a buffer, or can I apply it by hand?

Thanks in advance, you guys are great!

Last edited by TulsaVette; 05-02-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:52 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Zaino Fusion....worked for me
Old 05-03-2007, 03:57 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Best results I've gotten by hand are with 3M #39002 with terry cloth towel. It's hard work, but you'll get results with it. pics on my web page - click on "buffing" and look at the black mercedes pictures.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:12 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxOctane
a claybar will only remove surface contaminants. It will NOT remove any scratches whatsoever!

To remove light scratches and swirl marks you must use an abrasive compound, like Mgguiers(sp?) Scratch X, or NuFinish Scratch Doctor. I think Zaino also makes a good scratch remover. Using these will thin your clearcoat, so you'll want to use them sparingly. Good luck.

Automotive clay is not a replacement for polish or a compound; it is a pliable, petroleum resin product, Polybutene PB-1 (Polyisobutylene) containing a mild abrasive(s) i.e. kaolin, silica sand, calcium carbonate, alumina, ceramics quartz and also silicon carbide that polishes and exfoliates bonded surface contaminants by shearing, which is then encapsulated by the clay resin. These abrasives are extremely small with an average particle size of 1- µ (micron) dependant on the aggressiveness required, mixed in with a powdered synthetic detergent.

Last edited by TOGWT; 05-03-2007 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:00 PM
RAGOVET
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by TulsaVette
They really are pretty minor, and I have already put a second coat of wax on the car. You can only see them when the fenders are in direct sunlight, otherwise, you can't tell they are there. Thanks for helping.
Zaino Z5 is good at hiding the swirls so perhaps you can use this in the area that is just affected.

Get notified of new replies

To Will a Claybar Remove Clearcoat Scratches?

Quick Reply: Will a Claybar Remove Clearcoat Scratches?