Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Care of Polished Aluminum wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 02:39 PM
76texvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Care of Polished Aluminum wheels

Ok, I replaced the custom wheels on my Z16 with new original GM Polished Aluminum wheels. They are clear coated and I am looking to preserve the newness.
Saw this thread....what do you think?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1715631

Step 1...replace brake pads with ceramic pads.
Step 2...seal or coat wheels with a protectant (what kind?)
Step 3...
Any other pointers?
Thanks
Old 05-29-2007, 02:48 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Step 1 --- brake pads due make an immediate difference but not all want to go to the expense.

Step 2 --- Use a wheel sealant like those offered from DP, Poorboys, and Wheel Wax. Paint sealants work well also in a pinch.

Step 3 --- Treat the wheels exactly like paint. You can wash them, clay them, polish (paint polish), and protect to keep looking new.

Also never wash wheels when hot. Try not to use storebought wheel cleaners as they commonly use acid and lye as cleaning base, and when in doubt play it safe and use soap/water. I only use P21S Wheel Cleaner on my custom Iforged Wheels, and suggest it highly for all wheel types.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:10 PM
76texvette
Racer

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Step 1 --- brake pads due make an immediate difference but not all want to go to the expense.

Step 2 --- Use a wheel sealant like those offered from DP, Poorboys, and Wheel Wax. Paint sealants work well also in a pinch.

Step 3 --- Treat the wheels exactly like paint. You can wash them, clay them, polish (paint polish), and protect to keep looking new.

Also never wash wheels when hot. Try not to use storebought wheel cleaners as they commonly use acid and lye as cleaning base, and when in doubt play it safe and use soap/water. I only use P21S Wheel Cleaner on my custom Iforged Wheels, and suggest it highly for all wheel types.
Ok, if I was going to order something from AutoGeek, what would it be?
Is there a kit?
Thanks
Old 05-29-2007, 03:20 PM
bldavis11
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 76texvette
Is there a kit?
Thanks
Wheel wax is one of your best moves. Any quality paint sealent (Zaino, Rejex, etc.) will work great as well. I've had good luck with AutoGeek's brand of wheel wax and it doesn't cost as much as the alternatives, but you do need to apply it more frequently.

I wouldn't worry about changing the brake pads until they actually need to be changed. Just clean them every week and you will avoid the majority of the brake dust damage. Applying the sealent of your choice takes of protecting the wheels when they aren't sparkle-fresh clean.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:33 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 915 Likes on 451 Posts

If you have not put them on yet, now is the perfect chance to get started correctly and do a good polishing job. This is by far the easiest and best way to do it. This year I have used Zaino on my wheels and I have to say they have been cleaning up easier. It may sound extreme, but it is worth the effort to remove them once a year to do a thorough cleaning.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:35 PM
76texvette
Racer

Originally Posted by steve8
If you have not put them on yet, now is the perfect chance to get started correctly and do a good polishing job. This is by far the easiest and best way to do it. This year I have used Zaino on my wheels and I have to say they have been cleaning up easier. It may sound extreme, but it is worth the effort to remove them once a year to do a thorough cleaning.
I agree, now is the time since they will be new and not on the car yet.
Which Zaino product did you use on your wheels?
Z-CS?

Last edited by 76texvette; 05-29-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:51 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 915 Likes on 451 Posts

With brand new wheels, Z2P should work great. I have not used ZCS on the wheels, but I would think that would be a good idea as well. I'd do at least a couple of coats of each.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:33 AM
C5naples
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stripped the clear from my wheels because they looked so bad. I have dustless pads on the car and keep the wheels waxed so nothing will stick on them
Old 05-30-2007, 09:10 AM
76texvette
Racer

Originally Posted by C5naples
I stripped the clear from my wheels because they looked so bad. I have dustless pads on the car and keep the wheels waxed so nothing will stick on them
What did you use to strip the clear coat?
How long on each wheel did it take?
Old 05-30-2007, 02:29 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by 76texvette
Is there a kit?
Thanks

sorry, I missed this. We actually have 18 wheel kits available. Each include everything needed to keep wheels looking new. You can break yours down to the product line of your choice. (DP, Pinnacle, or Wolfgang) and order the clearcoated wheel kit not chrome nor uncoated. Each kit choice also comes with the Mothers Powerball (for polishing) of your choice (small, regular).

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1707310

Get notified of new replies

To Care of Polished Aluminum wheels

Quick Reply: Care of Polished Aluminum wheels