Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

3M clear bra and polishing/waxing

Old 06-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Bounty Hunter 6
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 16 Posts

Default 3M clear bra and polishing/waxing

I've seen more and more Corvettes with the 3M clear bras on. My question is: as a person that actually drives their car and as a result clay bars at least twice a year and polishes and waxes, how do you get around having the clear bra on? I can't imagine that the bra shines up like the clear coat does, and since it is not removable, it's got to look bad if you, say, Zaino'd the whole car. Plus, the build-up along the seam a quarter way up the hood. Hoping for some feedback from people that actually have the 3M bra.

Reason: looking at getting the front end redone and then protected with the 3M as the roads in Colorado are horrendous.

Thanks in advance!
Glen
Old 06-04-2007, 11:57 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

We have numerous customers with clear-bra, they mostly use Plexus on it to keep it new and clear.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:50 AM
DeepBlueC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I treat the clear bra the same as I do the rest of the car. It has a clear coat on it. I find myself using Rejex on the bra to help keep bugs and stuff from sticking but wax it as you do your car and it will shine the same.

When waxing try to go with the seam as opposed to against it to minimize and product buildup. If I get some dried wax showing once I finish I soak a section of MF with some QD and gently work it along the seam. This removes the built up product.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Comfortably Numb
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DeepBlueC
I treat the clear bra the same as I do the rest of the car. It has a clear coat on it. I find myself using Rejex on the bra to help keep bugs and stuff from sticking but wax it as you do your car and it will shine the same.

When waxing try to go with the seam as opposed to against it to minimize and product buildup. If I get some dried wax showing once I finish I soak a section of MF with some QD and gently work it along the seam. This removes the built up product.

Thanks for the tip with build up along the tape and going along the seam. I've had a few brain f*rts when detailing ended up spending a lot of time getting the build up off.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:10 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

I use a very thin masking (1/8"?)tape along the edge of the clear bra to prevent build up. It works well
Old 06-06-2007, 10:58 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I have a 3m bra on most of my cars and have been using Zaino on them for years. You do not need to worry about Zaino building up on the edges as much as you would with a wax since Zaino is applied so thin. I also apply it with the edge and not against it when I Zaino the cars, or either that or I only go off the edge in the one direction and this way it will actually not put any polish for like 1/16". I have never had a problem with buildup or yellowing and have been using Zaino on my Clear bra on my L for about 4 years now.

Get notified of new replies

To 3M clear bra and polishing/waxing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3M clear bra and polishing/waxing